Ut For Pandy?

pariah

Saw that there had been some discussion about porting UT to p&|a a while back and wondered if there was still any talk about same. How possible is this using the source provided at http://openut.sourceforge.net/ ? Just wondering as this would be a killer app for the Pandy, especially with WiFi onboard.

p B)

Would be to great. :) New usage for my old UT "Game of the Year" Edition. ^_^ But afaik, UT is not open source enough for a complete ARM Linux Port. :(

yeah, but since its such an old engine, do you think we could convince them to release the FULL source code?

schnitzelboy said:
yeah, but since its such an old engine, do you think we could convince them to release the FULL source code?
They might if someone that can show previous projects contacts them and asks, they might release it to some under some NDAs.

Something I think a few people might consider is a "rerelease", much like Doom came for 64, not really a remake just an adaptation to the console, I would gladly pay a few bucks for Unreal Tournament on Pandora and my guess is that they wouldn't mind making a few bucks on something they most likely has abandonded or try to sell them they idea as a Open Source venture to promote Epic, considering the amount of creds and goodwill ID gets from releasing their source they might go for it. :)

Never hurts to ask it you ask in the right way :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Arrggg... again this misconception that UT is open-source :(

From the OpenUT FAQ:

2.5 What sources have been released?

At present, only the Linux sound and graphics rendering code.

Daniel Vogel summarised the source release as follows:

- most headers to Core / Engine
- source to
- UTLaunch aka UnrealTournament executable
- UCC (only a stub as it dlopens the Engine stuff)
- Renderers
- D3DDrv
- GlideDrv
- OpenGLDrv
- XMesaGLDrv
- Viewport Managers
- XDrv
- Sound (Linux part)

The OpenUT project does NOT have access to the generic renderer, the
game core, engine, server, editor, or software renderer.

Julius: It's alright. Guess I should have searched a little farther, but no need to be upset. It's a nice idea, but would appear impossible. Sorry to bug.

p B)

schnitzelboy said:
Someone with the right connections should ask the guys from Epic...maybe. If they start to like the Pandora, maybe they do a port? So it wouldn't need open source. Well, it's very unlikeley but I know there is a big, official Forum for all Unreal games and the devs drop in from time to time. :)

Tripmonkey_uk said:
The original UT is still one of my fave FPS's ever. It just seems to play better than any of the others and has a great feel to it :)
And it also had very good Bots! :)
I still have UT on my HD. The OpenGL Port + S3TC Textures are not bad.

fusion_power said:
Someone with the right connections should ask the guys from Epic...maybe. If they start to like the Pandora, maybe they do a port? So it wouldn't need open source. Well, it's very unlikeley but I know there is a big, official Forum for all Unreal games and the devs drop in from time to time. :)
How about gifting Ryan Gordon with a Pandora if he's not already getting one? ;)

Tripmonkey_uk said:
fusion_power said:
And it also had very good Bots! :)
Damn tooting. Single player was nearly as much fun as the multi-player :D

You ever have any trouble with the updated textures at all? I heard that they were a bit buggy on some maps :(

The High-Textures work, I only had trouble with High Res Skyboxes (Mountains etc, no transparency anymore) but you can replace the Skybox-Textures with the old ones, they don't look different. However, in UT there are only SOME HighRes Textures, not every Texture has a High Res counterpart.

Svartalf said:
How about gifting Ryan Gordon with a Pandora if he's not already getting one? ;)
Sorry, I have no clue who is "Ryan Gordon". ^_^

fusion_power said:
Svartalf said:
Sorry, I have no clue who is "Ryan Gordon". ^_^

Does Icculus ring a bell?

http://icculus.org/

But I doubt he has time for that, given that rumor says he is currently porting Valve's source engine to Linux.

BigTruck said:
I heard he was still working on the UT 3 linux client. Dude's a busy guy.
Heh... You've little idea. The man makes just about everyone else in the Linux Game Porting space look weak in comparison- roughly 1/2 or more of the stuff out there right at the moment in the proprietary space has been done by him, including some stuff you DON'T know about....

Julius said:
But I doubt he has time for that, given that rumor says he is currently porting Valve's source engine to Linux.
Ahhh... But the quickest way to get an ally for the UT port in the Epic camp is to make him very Pandora friendly. He doesn't have to do the work there, just on a few other projects on the sly- or just be an end-user in this space for now.

Back