Using Pandora as phone replacement?

P

PandaZombie

Fuck this. I figuratively asked what is best way to climb a tree and got told it's just better to walk so I'm not even going to bother continuing. If an admin see's, just delete this account because I'm looking through settings to do it myself.

Last edited:
the pandora is not a phone, youre not gonna wonna use it one, if you can even get to use it as one, if phone is what you need, just go for something else. if you want everything else, pandora is your choice

I would think that you guys could be a little more innovative and less negative. I mean the responses I got look like I might as well have gone into an apple store with money hanging off my shirt.

The Pandora is well worth buying for its intended use i.e. a mini PC with built in gaming controls. You would be absolutely nuts to buy one to use primarily as a phone. Bear in mind that this advice is coming from a genuine Pandora fanboy. ;)

So what you should do is buy a Pandora & keep your phone.

Remember, that you will have a 3g stick sticking out of the pandora if you want mobile internet.

I think the best thing to do would be to have a phone and tether the pandora with it for mobile coding.

I'd be tethering your phone to the Pandora too considering you carry it around all the time.. Otherwise you'd be carrying around a 3G / 4G wifi hotspot of the same weight. Kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?

I kind of want to start murdering everyone on this forum right now. I have a smart phone. I would rather use Pandora instead of a smart phone. That is I repeat RATHER! FUCKING RATHER. I literally am asking people who have any experience with the Pandora and VOIP for advice. I'm not a god damn 16 year old faggot asking how the fuck you use a god damn computer as a phone. I know how to tether my smart phone to a laptop and I would rather in one pocket and only one pocket carry the pandora and no phone on me while still having the capabilities of making phone calls and accessing the internet while still using all of the other utilities that Pandora has to offer. I am probably going to just delete this account now because 90% of you are apparently useless cows.

Whoa there, no need to get agressive...

Since I don't have a Pandora yet, I can't tell about it's usefulness as a phone.

I just want to tell you the following: There were already a few topics like this one and IIRC in all of them most people told/agreed that the Pandora is no good as a phone.

Many of the people who aswered up till now are quite big Pandora fans and very active in it's community, so they would definitely tell you if they would think Pandora is feasible as a phone.

If you want to get arguments to tell your wife why to get a Pandora but you don't get the answers you want from the people who you are asking to tell you any, there is no reason to get angry.

IMHO there are a few big problems while using the Pandora as a phone.

1) You couldn't use it in loud places because of the arrangement of microphone and speakers

2) I have no idea if it is possible to configure the VoIP-Clients to get incomming calls

3) You would have to use an external 3G-dongle ore something similar and I haven't seen one small enough to put the Pandy in your pocket while it is attached, at least not without the risk of damaging it

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it wouldnt be ideal but you could use it as a phone.I saw a tablet today in a shop window that had a phone function built into it.It took a simcard.Id assume a headset would be needed or such.

I kind of want to start murdering everyone on this forum right now. I have a smart phone. I would rather use Pandora instead of a smart phone. That is I repeat RATHER! FUCKING RATHER. I literally am asking people who have any experience with the Pandora and VOIP for advice. I'm not a god damn 16 year old faggot asking how the fuck you use a god damn computer as a phone. I know how to tether my smart phone to a laptop and I would rather in one pocket and only one pocket carry the pandora and no phone on me while still having the capabilities of making phone calls and accessing the internet while still using all of the other utilities that Pandora has to offer. I am probably going to just delete this account now because 90% of you are apparently useless cows.
This is just a courtesy note to inform you that you have been issued a formal warning for this post. Normally an informal verbal warning would be given in-thread first, but this is on the extreme end of the sort of behaviour we tend to get around here, and warrants immediate action.

Members here are expected to behave like adults, and certainly not to go off on aggressive outbursts in response to polite and accurate advice.

The other posters here are correct: What you are wanting to do is not ideal or practical with this device, and the some of the things required to pull it off, as listed in your parent-post, are not yet possible and in fact may never be.. As others have stated, you may well be better served by looking at something else that would do this job better. No amount of posting uncivilly will change what a device can do, no matter how much you want to justify purchasing it.

This is just a courtesy note to inform you that you have been issued a formal warning for this post. Normally an informal verbal warning would be given in-thread first, but this is on the extreme end of the sort of behaviour we tend to get around here, and warrants immediate action.

Members here are expected to behave like adults, and certainly not to go off on aggressive outbursts in response to polite and accurate advice.

The other posters here are correct: What you are wanting to do is not ideal or practical with this device, and the some of the things required to pull it off, as listed in your parent-post, are not yet possible and in fact may never be.. As others have stated, you may well be better served by looking at something else that would do this job better. No amount of posting uncivilly will change what a device can do, no matter how much you want to justify purchasing it.

Cars aren't the best places to watch movies and play video games but people do it anyways. Seriously? These people have no idea how to reply to shit. I wanted to try finding more information on how to do something, not information on how not to do it....Some people just feel they need to add their input for everything and they just spew useless crap. Oh look at me over here with 5,000 posts to my name, that must mean everything I say is absolutely important and I am wise... or I'm just a dbag that spams up threads. I was hoping this forum would be a bit more professional but I guess every garden has it's weeds. I'm deleting and gettingtfo out of this place. I'll still buy a Pandora and I guess just have to work on VOIP on my own.

Seems the thread was hacked, i just read it and didn't see the blahs blahs. 15 mn later, blahs were inserted between posts.

Cars aren't the best places to watch movies and play video games but people do it anyways. Seriously? These people have no idea how to reply to shit. I wanted to try finding more information on how to do something, not information on how not to do it....Some people just feel they need to add their input for everything and they just spew useless crap. Oh look at me over here with 5,000 posts to my name, that must mean everything I say is absolutely important and I am wise... or I'm just a dbag that spams up threads. I was hoping this forum would be a bit more professional but I guess every garden has it's weeds. I'm deleting and gettingtfo out of this place. I'll still buy a Pandora and I guess just have to work on VOIP on my own.
I'm sad you react this way. OP forums are nice compared to many others, and people is helpful, even if not always in the right direction.

That's the third time you've said you were deleting your account and leaving the community... Really wish you would just go ahead and take care of that. Insulting people who are genuinely try to be helpful is no way to foster the professional/technical environment you are seeking, and clearly by the number of posts you keep making you are more interested in trying to drag this community through the mud than genuinely fix your problem.

Back