GP32 Using Mrmirko's Sdk With Gp32ide

Melville

I'm trying to get the "hello world" example code from the coding tutorials forum to work.

I'm using GP32iDE v1.01: When I set it up, I went into "settings" and set the field "devkitadv folder" to "C:\gp32_MrMirko\" - where the extracted MrMirko SDK is. (Using MrMirko SDK version 071).

I assumed this is OK, as the error message about not having a Bin folder didn't appear when I selected this.

For the emulator, I'm using GeePee public build, with the original firmware (called FW.bin) extracted from my GP32 using "dumpfw.fxe". It boots without any problem, although I haven't tried to make and load any .SMC files for it.

The problem is that when I compile the code in GP32iDE (no error messages from the compiler that I can find), the GeePee window appears (as expected), but instead of the white screen with black text which the program should output the emulator just shows a black screen with the message "stopped" in the lower left corner.

I assume this problem is because I haven't set up GP32iDE correctly to work with MrMirko's SDK. If anyone has managed this successfully, I'd be very grateful for any advice you could give me.

I've got Mirko's SDK running with DevKitAdvance, but I couldn't get it to load work in the IDE. So I just made a batch-file to make things and load them into the emu and used Metapad (which is like notepad, but with the ability to do find-and-replace and treats other characters than space as places to stop when CTRL-L/R ing).

Works great :)

Oh, btw, click the "play" button on the emu and see what happens. If play isn't there, try pressing F5 (and then download a newer version of the emu - private 0.40 is good :) )
If that doesn't work, try and change the command-line from /FXE=blah to /EXE=blah and add /RUN on the end.

Melville posted on May 1 2004 at 12:35 PM said:
I'm trying to get the "hello world" example code from the coding tutorials forum to work.

I'm using GP32iDE v1.01: When I set it up, I went into "settings" and set the field "devkitadv folder" to "C:\gp32_MrMirko\" - where the extracted MrMirko SDK is. (Using MrMirko SDK version 071).

I assumed this is OK, as the error message about not having a Bin folder didn't appear when I selected this.

For the emulator, I'm using GeePee public build, with the original firmware (called FW.bin) extracted from my GP32 using "dumpfw.fxe". It boots without any problem, although I haven't tried to make and load any .SMC files for it.

The problem is that when I compile the code in GP32iDE (no error messages from the compiler that I can find), the GeePee window appears (as expected), but instead of the white screen with black text which the program should output the emulator just shows a black screen with the message "stopped" in the lower left corner.

I assume this problem is because I haven't set up GP32iDE correctly to work with MrMirko's SDK. If anyone has managed this successfully, I'd be very grateful for any advice you could give me.
I've got a dev environment with Mirko's SDK working alongside the standard SDK in Alessandro's IDE.

You dont need to change your devkitadv folder or anything...

Firstly..

You copy Mirko's SDK folder (call it gp32_sdk or something), over to the devkitadv folder.

Then you have to add the path (or paths) to his libs to your makefile. Find the line in gp32.mk (which is in the devkitadv root folder) that reads:-

GPLIBS=-lgpsdk -lgpgraphic -lgpmem -lgpos -lgpstdlib -lgpstdio -lgpsound -lgpfont -lgpg_ex01

and add the paths of all Mirko's libs (or lib if you're using the latest version)) to that. For example :-

GPLIBS=-lgpsdk -lgpgraphic -lgpmem -lgpos -lgpstdlib -lgpstdio -lgpsound -lgpfont -lgpg_ex01 C:\devkitadv\gp32_SDK\lib\gp_chatboard.a C:\devkitadv\gp32_SDK\lib\gp_common.a C:\devkitadv\gp32_SDK\lib\gp_font8.a C:\devkitadv\gp32_SDK\lib\gp_sbox.a C:\devkitadv\gp32_SDK\lib\gp_smc.a C:\devkitadv\gp32_SDK\lib\gp_sound.a C:\devkitadv\gp32_SDK\lib\gp_sprite.a C:\devkitadv\gp32_SDK\lib\gp_zda.a

obviously, all of this is one continuous line in the makefile.

I THINK that's all I did. I may post a zip file soon of the whole thing set up to work, so that people can download it.

The next step is to remove the the -ansi switch out of the standard makefile (there's a template that the IDE uses somewhere in the IDE folders). This means that the compiler wont chuck up an error every time it encounters a c++ style comment, (i.e. // comment) which are rife all the way through Mirko's SDK tutorials.

Also, to get Mirko's SDK tutorials compiling with the IDE, I had to change the main funtion in the code from void main() to voind GpMain(void *arg). This made most of them compile straight away.

I think that was all....

If people are interested in the zipped up package, then let me know.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
If people are interested in the zipped up package, then let me know.

Very interested. Also, where can I download the official SDK? I tried gameparkdev.co.kr but it redirected to the main gamepark page. Would be very happy if someone took the time to zip everything up.

Did anything come of this?

The book / tutorial I'm learning C++ from talks about code a lot (obviously :)), but doesn't give an explaination about makefiles etc, so I don't know anough about them to modify them competently. Eventually I'm sure I'll find an idiot's guide to makefiles, but so far the guides I've found either don't mention them or assume you know exactly what you're doing - but nothing betwen the two extremes.

So this zip file from Axeman would be really helpful (pretty please!) if the modified versino of the GP32iDE is not out yet.

Also, if anyone can give me a link to a good explaination of makefiles and how the compiling process actually works I'd be very grateful. At the moment, I just type code into devc++ and click "compile and run". I have absolutely no idea what all these makefiles, .o files ec actually do. I suspect that if I'm to have any hope at all of compiling programmes for GP32 I'm going to have to understand it.

Thanks,
Melville

Same here I'm like Melville only I'v learned C/C++ and am trying to develop for GP32 if anything ever came of the zip file could you please host it Axeman?

Back