User Likability

ible

professional vim user
i propose:
likability = # [likes on your posts] / # posts

most newcomers experience high likability, as long as they post something flattering about the Pyra or retro gaming. however, likability should probably only start being compared after 20 posts or so, to stamp out the new-user fluctuations.

considering top users on the "Most Likes" section of the "Members" page, i innocently discovered i had quite high likability. (just before writing this post, i had a 80% likability, compared to ED who only has 63% likability*.) and who doesn't like to win at games they make up?

but then i realized there are some people who post even less frequently than i do, and whose posts are much more likely to be liked... though i haven't checked many accounts, the one that instantly sprang to mind was @hns, who has a current likability of 201%. your likability is far more than break even; you average just over 2 likes a post. and for that, i salute you! thanks for helping us make a Pyra. (there's also @zmatt, who's at a staggering 3.6 likes a post, and thanks, too :).)

*i bet we could get ED to win at a game like this if we did something like the h index, since he gets ridiculous # likes on many posts. that requires access to more statistics than the above metric, however.

as another aside, and perhaps why i had this thought: i recently started sorting my cereals by protein divided by sugar (per serving size, in g), which is an interesting exercise. i don't have enough cereals to make it more efficient to quicksort them, but i do tend to have a few...

for comparison, he-who-must-not-be-named only has 0.4% likability.

Reactions: rSl
You should make sure you only count posts that were made after the "like" feature was added. Also the import of the GP32X forums has added tons of posts, but zero likes (affecting for example EDs score).

I too dislike this approach. The likes are something to be freely given since they have no monetary equivalent. Once you start hanging metrics off them, people start gaming the system, and that turns everything sour.

yeah, freakin' hns and zmatt, gaming the system.

why does it have to have a monetary equivalent?

Sorry, that's just part of the legal lingo they stick on the back of vouchers and suchlike. I mean to emphasise just that likes are freely given with nothing expected in return (apart perhaps from the occasional like-back).

bitcoin: now backed by real gold!

not sure what you're talking about, like-back wise. [^:

You should make sure you only count posts that were made after the "like" feature was added. Also the import of the GP32X forums has added tons of posts, but zero likes (affecting for example EDs score).

or we could just go back and like those old posts. quite a backlog, let's get on it!

That is why you should assume a person is okay/average and the likability should increase over time.
Taking an average over posts is not going to work.
But I understand it has some incentive and thats why it is there.

Back