USB OTG port questions & capabilities

Wintersdark

This is new to me, but I've read up on it. My understanding is that it functions as a normal USB 2.0 host port, but can also be used to connect the device to a PC's USB port as a slave device itself.

When connected in this manner, the Pandora can charge it's own battery (albeit slowly compared to an AC adapter). Are drivers required/provided? What, if any, other functionality is available? Read/write access to the NAND flash as a mass storage device? Access to SD cards?

It'd be very, very awesome to be able to plug it into a random PC and access the contents of the SD cards, allowing easy transfer of files to, say, a friends PC.

* As a side note, I firmly believe that the industry ought to more fully adopt SD cards (in their various flavours) as a replacement for portable media for PC's. Think floppy disks, but usable. CD's and DVD's are garbage - a hassle to write to, limited (if any) rewritability, size and fragility issues... Every PC should have a SD card reader.

Check the USB FAQ link in my sig, it fully explains the functions of both USB ports :)

Regarding the smaller (OTG) port you're pretty much on the money. You can charge via this port, but slowly if you're charging from a PC. The latest round of system updates gave us an SD mass storage script, enable this while you're connected to the PC and the SD card of your choice appears as a drive on the PC. Very handy stuff!

With the use of an OTG adapter it can also become a second host port. I haven't tried this yet actually.

Check the USB FAQ link in my sig, it fully explains the functions of both USB ports :)

Regarding the smaller (OTG) port you're pretty much on the money. You can charge via this port, but slowly if you're charging from a PC. The latest round of system updates gave us an SD mass storage script, enable this while you're connected to the PC and the SD card of your choice appears as a drive on the PC. Very handy stuff!

With the use of an OTG adapter it can also become a second host port. I haven't tried this yet actually.
Fantastic! Thanks for the answer, and the very helpful links!

Back