Usb Mode

erico

Advanced Member
Website
sites.google.com
I have been running a set of tests on the caanoo.

moving the program back and forth from the pc by SDcard is a pain,
so I connected by USB and whenever it boots, it gets into USB mode and I transfer the file.

Problem is that after I press X to get the caanoo back to ´Normal´ mode and run the app, the SD on him is no longer readable by the PC,
and requires caanoo to reboot to get back to USB mode.

Can that be done in an easier way? like get back to USB mode by running a program or something?

What is the best immediate choice on this subject for developers?

Taking the usb cable off the pc and re plugin it also does the trick I just realised(I don´t want to plug unplug USB on the caanoo´s side whenever possible).
USB on/off on the SETTING does not do the trick.

The USB setting is for enabling the USB port on the device so that flash drives and the like can be plugged in.

So yeah, the easiest way to enable USB mode is to unplug/plug the cable. I too wish there was a program that enabled it but so far, nothing.

I heard you can get SAMBA running by wifi and thus making this perfect, copy from pc to caanoo, overwrite, run.
Does it work? It will be a little while till I get a wifi... :(

I guess the "plug-unplug USB on PC" solution will have to do for now.
Thanks darklight1138!

Hi,

I use ssh/scp (dropbear) to copy my files to the caanoo and to start/test my stuff on it via usbnet under linux,
no need to plug-unplug it every time.
Wifi with dropbear works too but it drains the battery very fast so I use usbnet.

I don't know if the usbnet connection works under windows.

I've never got USBNet working on my 64 bit windows vista and 7.
The only Windows versions i've read it works on is XP and there also only the 32 bit version with the correct driver installed.

So I use the WiFi method which works fine. And you could always plug in your cable to charge while wifi is in the usb port :)

crow_riot said:
I've never got USBNet working on my 64 bit windows vista and 7.
The only Windows versions i've read it works on is XP and there also only the 32 bit version with the correct driver installed.

So I use the WiFi method which works fine. And you could always plug in your cable to charge while wifi is in the usb port :)
It still drains my battery faster than it gets loaded with enabled wifi while charging.

Last edited by a moderator:
main dev platform is win 7 64b and so is the secondary... :(

plug unplug usb on the pc usb hub end is best choice for now?
The ssh/scp (dropbear) solutions seems nice.

thanks!

Hi guys.
This looks interesting.

If you create file
remount_usb.gpe or any_other_name.gpe
with this commands inside
Code:
cd /usr/gp2x
exec ./gp2xmenu --view-usb
at the root of your sd card, you'll be able to remount usb by executing this file from explorer on caanoo without unpluging charging cable.
In PC a new disc appears and you can do whatever you want with it (browse, copy files), but there is no way to close popup dialog on caanoo.
There is no reactions on keys and touchscreen pressing. Only shutdown helps.
But I think there should be a way to manage this problem. At least one time I was able to remount usb without this popup dialog so I was able to browse sd and start apps at the same time.

Hope this helps somebody and we will find the solution, cause it really annoying to replug cable every time you want to copy something new to the console.

I just realized today, after much struggle, that the plug unplug USB technic dosen´t work for me... :(
Files get copied, but I still need to reboot caanoo to get to it.

Damit, fine tunning the g-sensor is taking a heck of extra time this way and time is a short commodity.
Do you guys think this could be solved with a wifi adaptor? will I get stuck on the same ´reboot´situation?

-Smile- said:
Hi guys.
This looks interesting.

If you create file
remount_usb.gpe or any_other_name.gpe
with this commands inside
Code:
cd /usr/gp2x
at the root of your sd card, you'll be able to remount usb by executing this file from explorer on caanoo without unpluging charging cable.
In PC a new disc appears and you can do whatever you want with it (browse, copy files), but there is no way to close popup dialog on caanoo.
There is no reactions on keys and touchscreen pressing. Only shutdown helps.
But I think there should be a way to manage this problem. At least one time I was able to remount usb without this popup dialog so I was able to browse sd and start apps at the same time.

Hope this helps somebody and we will find the solution, cause it really annoying to replug cable every time you want to copy something new to the console.
Nobody interested in it?

Sorry Smile,
I´m highly interested.

had a few busy days could not take a look.

Will be looking at it right now, let you know what I find out.
Thanks a lot for the help!

Did take a look,

after running it, it gets on loading and stay stuck at that screen, nothing happens for a long time. Only shutdown resolves.
Is there a typo there? on the:

cd /usr/gp2x

I put that on a notepad file, saved with the proper recommended name, and changed extension.
Is that right?

erico said:
Did take a look,

after running it, it gets on loading and stay stuck at that screen, nothing happens for a long time. Only shutdown resolves.
Is there a typo there? on the:

cd /usr/gp2x

I put that on a notepad file, saved with the proper recommended name, and changed extension.
Is that right?
I think you should use Notepad++ instead of notepad.
Try to convert to Unix end of line format and then save the file.

981195Capture01.jpg

tried that and it works now.

Only shutting down resolves them.
...but, unpluging the usb cable, it changes the message USB MODE to NO SDCARD...
...at which from there I can get back to explorer out of the usb mode and if wish rerun it.

A far better solution then shuffling cables or restarting.
Isn´t there a way to make the handheld reestart without having to press the button? like a similar script?

This way is far better then all I have got, thanks -Smile-

erico said:
tried that and it works now.

Only shutting down resolves them.
...but, unpluging the usb cable, it changes the message USB MODE to NO SDCARD...
...at which from there I can get back to explorer out of the usb mode and if wish rerun it.

A far better solution then shuffling cables or restarting.
IsnВґt there a way to make the handheld reestart without having to press the button? like a similar script?

This way is far better then all I have got, thanks -Smile-
I don't think it is the best solution. It is the same as just replug cable every time to reconnect CAANOO to PC.
The main idea was to use only CAANOO interface (ubs dialog and remount script) to reconnect console.
But if you do physical cable replug every time it is not the good solution in my opinion and it even can damage file system on your SD card.
At least try to save unmount sd from your PC ant then unplug cable from console. Will it be able to reconnect again without restart?

-Smile- said:
At least try to save unmount sd from your PC ant then unplug cable from console. Will it be able to reconnect again without restart?

Yep, that is the better part, I can reconnect without restart.

I tried doing this a few times and it all goes fine(also eject from the pc side).
In my case, I´m just replacing my code with newer ones, so small files. I´m not copying huge stuff or a vast number of things.

The perfect thing would be to be able to copy things without the locked usb mode screen and without restarting to see changes.
Like I said on another post, if I copy my code, I have to restart it so it runs the new one, otherwise it goes on with the old.
I didn´t check if this happens with pictures or other things.

I would probably try and get a wifi thing if I knew it works fine through that.
So far, before copying code, I´m just putting more debbuging info there so I don´t have to copy all the time to test.

erico said:
The perfect thing would be to be able to copy things without the locked usb mode screen and without restarting to see changes.
In this case you need proftpd and Wi-Fi dongle. All works well, but it's too tiresomely if you need to copy something often.

I need to copy test code constantly. I can go around that and do higher debug info every time I give a try.
But anything that will help not plug-unplug or restart would be fine.

Back