What Wifi Dongles Work For The Caanoo?

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
I have managed to track down what may be the tiniest wifi stick I can find, which looks perfect for the Caanoo.

11314492x.jpg

It's the Buffalo Nfiniti Wireless N USB Adaptor, and it's just £14.

Anyone know whether it'd work though?

EDIT:

Actually screw that, look what I just found

resize-image.asp

I like that Edimax adaptor, probably wouldn't even know it's there. Looks like the one that OPT were going to use when they still had the wifi issues. Are there any pics of the adapter GPH is going to sell? Is there any reason to think that their's will be proprietary or any stick will do?

Orion4874 said:
I like that Edimax adaptor, probably wouldn't even know it's there. Looks like the one that OPT were going to use when they still had the wifi issues. Are there any pics of the adapter GPH is going to sell? Is there any reason to think that their's will be proprietary or any stick will do?

From their vids, it looks like a big chunky generic stick, and I'm fairly sure it's been mentioned by them that you can use any stick... I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
That tiny one's great! Nice find :) . I'm thinking we might be able to mod it in internally?

Edit: Not that we need to, that thing will be barely noticeable even if it's plugged in externally.

Nova said:
Orion4874 said:

From their vids, it looks like a big chunky generic stick, and I'm fairly sure it's been mentioned by them that you can use any stick... I think.

Well, looking at this picture and the youtube video from GPH they seem use a MSI US 300 EX lite or similar with Ralink RT2870/3070 chip. It's the same I used for my Wiz USB host experiments. The kernel module is already included in the Wiz SDK.

dongle.jpg

msi300.jpg

Of course you can use any WLAN dongle if an open source driver is available, but I doubt GPH will include all of them in their firmware. So you have to compile your own driver which is not the easiest thing to do...

Edit:
The Buffalo stick uses a Ralink RT2870 chip and should be compatible.
The Edimax seem to use a Realtek RTL8188CU chip. Linux 2.6.x drivers for this chip are available

jutley said:
How about this baby from bufalo

http://www.engadget.com/photos/buffalo-wireless-n-devices/#3248379

the smallest of the bunch, brings us back down to $40. It's the WLI-UC-GNM, a USB 2.0 802.11n adapter that is barely bigger than the port it fits in, poking out just far enough for you to pull the thing back out again.

Nice find. Apparently that uses a Ralink RT2870 chip, so yeah should work I think.

oh yes baby going to order but damm need it in white preordered a white canoo i really do think the white looks good or will look good

I am thinking of getting a Caanoo, but I don't know whether or not I should order the wifi dongle that is made for it.

I already have a beastly Belkin F5D7050 v3. It is far from small and compact. It says 802.11g - 54 Mbps on the top. It uses a Ralink RT2501USB chipset. I have used it on a few operating systems and it works with everything I have tried, including Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Arch Linux.

I also have a 4 port USB 2.0 hub, with a Genesys GL850A chip. Would this work on the Caanoo? That way I could connect my USB drive and wireless dongle at the same time, or connect multiple usb drives?

I know the Caanoo just came out... but I thought asking would be worth a try.

I am thinking about ordering from play-asia.com. does anyone know if their Caanoos have the pack-in games? I don't really need them, but I'm just wondering.

Nova said:
Merged the thread with another. Look skyward, for thou shalt receive your answer.

Oh, thanks; I didn't see this thread.

Merged the thread with another. Look skyward, for thou shalt receive your answer.

Okay, so supposed I got a dongle and wifi-enabled my future Caanoo.
Ignoring GPH's own first party wifi enabled games, what use of wifi could we see?

Thinking logically you could make a pretty nice web browser, touchscreen and all, and nice spec behind it.
The iPhone's resolution is 320 by 480, the Caanoo is half that at 320 by 240. It could be doable.

RupeeClock said:
Okay, so supposed I got a dongle and wifi-enabled my future Caanoo.
Ignoring GPH's own first party wifi enabled games, what use of wifi could we see?

Thinking logically you could make a pretty nice web browser, touchscreen and all, and nice spec behind it.
The iPhone's resolution is 320 by 480, the Caanoo is half that at 320 by 240. It could be doable.

Even the DS has a web browser (Opera). I Think  a web browser for the Caanoo would be great. It would be awesome if someone ported something like gpsd to the Caanoo to use it as a GPS (with a dongle, of course.) With the wifi adapter, you could also use the Caanoo as an FTP server or something like that. A bluetooth adapter on the Caanoo would also be cool... I wonder if you could just plug in a USB gamepad to the Caanoo.... thats something for me to try out in the future.

It would be cool to play a multiplayer game between a Caanoo and a PC over the network... what if someone made a game that can be played between a Caanoo and a DS... I could do that if I get into DS homebrew programming.

corpblitz said:
I can say for a fact the Netgear WG311GE and WG111GE don't work with it :D

you have it? open it up and show me a picture of the insides... close enough to read everything, and both sides! then I can see what chipset it has... in case its the same as mine.

corpblitz said:

Yep, my Netgear WG111 doesn't work either.

Nova said:
corpblitz said:

Yep, my Netgear WG111 doesn't work either.

Again: what is the chipset that the wireless adapter uses? It would be useful in case someone else had a different adapter with the same chipset. 

Ok, i don't think you should expect people to tear apart their wifi adapters to tell if your adapter will work. If you promised to compile a kernel module for them, it might be a different matter ;)

EDIT: Btw, can anyone confirm a non-gph adapter that works? I want to buy that tiny buffalo adapter, but it is not available here yet. I only find it in Canada and US

The one right at the top of this page should work. And it's not too big either.

I have a "Pluscom" (small blue&white case, Model: WUR) wifi usb dongle (uses a ralink chip), it works, I see my wifi router, but I can't connect...

Looks like Caanoo does not like 26char long Wep key...

Yes, I know I can switch (and should) to WPA, but I use regularly my Nintendo DS/DSi, and they only accept wep... :(

I have three wifi dongle I'll try them all.

Back