Usb Joystick/ Joypad With Cradle

Creature XL

Website
Visit site
Hi,

got a cradle for my birthday some days ago and was hopingn to play with one (or all) of my USB controllers on the TV set. I set USB Host to "Alwys On" and set "Storage" and "Human Interface (HID?)" to "On" aswell.
But none of my USB controllers works in the menu. A USB keyboard worked with the Menu and a little bit with Quake (but very strangely). Both controllers (BTW, one of them is the USB Quickshot which the one or the otehr of oyu might have themselves) report themselves as HID devices when I plug them iinto a linux computer.

I can't read the DMESG of the GP2x, 'cause I can't plug my mini-USB cable into the client side of the GP2x when it sit sin the cradle (What a stupid design!!!) and the 4 ports of the cradle should be host ports, right?

please help me!

EDIT: I am having FW 3.00 on my GP2x

THe cradle usually doesnt work in the menu for me, boot up Picodrive or GPFce(even if you dont play them), and see if they recognize the controllers in the controls section.

joysticks don't work in the default menu when it's booted however if you restart the menu it will detect the joysticks. Pretty weird but that's how it is. Secondly you can cut a small piece of the cradle of with a dremel to expose the usb port. This will allaw you to use usbnet / telenet etc again. It works without problems, i have done this and i know of at least one other person that did this also.

also games have to support the joysticks. as do emulators. To make sure your joysticks are actually recognized you could create a shell script gpe. That kills the menu and then restarts it.

Creature XL said:
I can't read the DMESG of the GP2x, 'cause I can't plug my mini-USB cable into the client side of the GP2x when it sit sin the cradle (What a stupid design!!!) and the 4 ports of the cradle should be host ports, right?
The cradle has a serial port, connect that to your pc with a suitable cable, and you can read dmesg :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.
I tested the controllers with GPFCE (0.4 rev 313) and at least the USB_Quickshot works.
This emu deals really great with controller (didn't tested other yet). It shows which USB-Sticks he found, the same name as LiNUX in the dmesg and then you can set teh buttons as you like. I spottd one "bug" though. If you delete the "UP" direction you can't set it back to "GP2x-stick UP" again :)

The other game pad has a little LED which is lit when it is connected to teh PC. It is not lit when I connect it to the cradle. So I am not surprised that this doesn't work :(

Cuting the cradle seems really to be the only solution :( Maybe I'll try a custom extension of the port first.

joyrider said:
joysticks don't work in the default menu when it's booted however if you restart the menu it will detect the joysticks.
i just got a cradle myself, and i find this behavior pretty annoying:

when i first connect the gp2x to the cradle, the menu totally ignores the gamepad. only after launching and then exiting an application with gamepad support, like picodrive, i can then also control the gp2x menu with the gamepad. weird.

is there any way i can make the menu work with the gamepad from the start? some sort of autorun skript or something?

[oh, and since this is my first post to this forum: hi everyone! i only got my first gp2x-f100 fw3.0 a couple of weeks ago - to keep me entertained while waiting for the pandora - and i think it's awsome!]

I haven't done any research on it, but if your ALWAYS going to have the joystick plugged in, why not make a script that just starts Picodrive right off the bat? Its easy enough to exit out.

grahf said:
I haven't done any research on it, but if your ALWAYS going to have the joystick plugged in, why not make a script that just starts Picodrive right off the bat? Its easy enough to exit out.
There is no need to load PicoDrive too, all it does to revive the pads is loading a few modules:
CODE

insmod input
insmod joydev

input is most often loaded (can't remember when not), but joydev is usually not. Have no idea why it's not loaded by default.

notaz said:
There is no need to load PicoDrive too, all it does to revive the pads is loading a few modules:
CODE

insmod input
insmod joydev
input is most often loaded (can't remember when not), but joydev is usually not. Have no idea why it's not loaded by default.

sounds interesting. is there a way that i can make my gp2x load those modules on startup? will it then recognize the gamepad as soon as i put it in the cradle?

(sorry if that seems like a stupid question, but i don't know much about linux)

Hi, quick question regarding the cradle:

I ordered an f-200 already, i was wondering how easy it is to insert f-200 in there (i understand ill have to remove a plastic cover?) and then plug in two usb controllers and play MAME, picodrive, snes etc.

very very easy?

I have a pads like this:

USB_Game_Pad.jpg

I already have the TV out cord as well.

Hey bboyneko-

You'll need to remove the cover, true...I tore mine off but you can also open the case (if you dare) and remove it that way. Speaking from my experience, Picodrive is the best with the controllers, but the SNES emus and MAME seem to do just fine also. I have noticed occasional wierd behaviours with the controllers, but for the most part, they work just fine. Looks really cool up on the big screen, too.

@bartleby-

Check out this thread, I just went through the same thing (loading controller and usb host support)...got a lot of useful help along the way. Now, works like a charm. I put it in the cradle, turn it on, and it loads up controller and usb host support (for an external hard drive) right at boot.

CJ

CJ Maynard said:
@bartleby-

Check out this thread, I just went through the same thing (loading controller and usb host support)...got a lot of useful help along the way. Now, works like a charm. I put it in the cradle, turn it on, and it loads up controller and usb host support (for an external hard drive) right at boot.

CJ

Hi CJ Maynard, I've checked your thread but unfortenetly it seems that your autorun script doesn't work well on the F-100 (FW 2.1.2). For some reason the menu replies very slowly to any joystick command. Actually, I am trying to boot the gp2x on tvout mode (using tvonoff) with the joystick support, so it can be used to browse the menu on the TV. Any ideas?

Back