Usb-Ethernet With Stock Usb Cable

ok, may need a little help here.
It appears as a Network device - [Unknown Interface (usb0)]
I assume I need to bridge it to my eth1 which is my internet connection.
Based on your IP configuration 10.0.2.2, I am assuming your routers address is 10.0.1.x.
so in my case my router is at 192.168.1.x so I changed the ip in the gpe file to 192.168.2.2 and tried to bridge eth1 to [Unknown Interface (usb0)] and it will not work.
Is there a way to do this with out installing a DHCP server on my laptop.
I also tried firestarter

Sorry not much experience with networking, thanks

Don't know if that's easiest but I'd setup your laptop as a router.

So Caanoo would have:
ifconfig usb0 10.0.2.2 up
route add default gw 10.0.2.1
echo "nameserver your_ISP_DNS" > /etc/resolv.conf

Laptop:
ifconfig usb0 10.0.2.1 up [or give it that IP to usb0 using Network Manager, it might override ifconfig anyway]
Then follow some ubuntu internet connection sharing guite, perhaps this would help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Internet/ConnectionSharing#GUI%20Method%20via%20Network%20Manager%20(Ubuntu%209.10%20and%20up)

tried to get it to work on win7 64bit but if i try to install the demo-driver there's an error saying the device hasn't been installed correctly.
Anyone managed to get this to work under win7/64bit? 2x3r? sience?

Also i'd love to use the samba daemon with joyriders changes to fully access the file sys.

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp...meeeeeeeeeee :)

Edit:
Here's what i did:
started the usb-net script on the caanoo
connected it to the usb-port
tried to install the demo drivers with the vid/pid notaz posted above
the device shows up unter LPT/COM as ethernet gadget

after that i tried to start telnet or samba on the caanoo, but both didn't work. i wasn't able to connect to the caanoo via filezilla or win-explorer.

any problems with my order or did i forget something?

I did not look at the video ...

BUT

FileZilla is an ftp client, at least i think it is, this is not for ftp access.. although it makes it possible once an ftp deamon / server is ported / released

You also need to know your caanoo's ip address which you should know since you configured it yourselve, and the usbnet driver on windows has to be in the same network / subnet so you have to configure that as well..

You also have to edit the ID's in the ini file of these "demo drivers" but that is probably explained in the video.

I'd also suggest to get "putty.Exe" or something to get Telnet access to the caanoo...

Al of this can also be done with the WIFI dongle if you have wifi and wireless router where your pc is connected to as well, that's how i do it :)

Also i recently noticed the internal NAND on the caanoo is mounted READ ONLY at least a part of it, and i can't seem to remount it to have write access maybe i'm giving the wrong commands / options to mount ..

secondly once you can do the above you can access the full nand either with telnet and doing ls commands to see the files or use the samba deamon (which i haven't done) to see all files on the caanoo starting from / (if you edited the conf file like i explained) otherwise you'd only see /mnt/sd (io sd card). In windows you'd have to type \\IP OF THE CAANOO like in my case \\192.168.1.3 ... in your case it's probably another ip :)

PS. those drivers can be made to work with any CDC enabled device you just have to get the device id's and put those in the driver.. i used em quite a lot on the dingoo and i think but am not certain anymore that once you are connected and the 4 hour time limit is due and you still connected it won't disconnect you but next time you can't reconnect, there are ways around this though and the demo drivers have been hacked as well to allow unlimited time but i'm not going to explain where to get those or how to do that. I'm also not certain anymore about that last part about it not disconnecting you ...

maybe ... dont know about the vid, but: to get the driver working on windows 7-64 bit you need disable driver signing check. otherwise windows7 will just not load the provided demo driver... and thus the error saying the device hasn't been installed correctly.

well...i guess I'm just going to install ubuntu on one of my netbooks...seems to be a lot easier than fucking around with win.

i disabled the driver signing check. i suppose...the link postet above says different things about that though...

and...i dont have a wifi dongle that works with my caanoo :(

I've gone through the instructions, but, for some reason, my Linux laptop will recognize it, attempt to connect, and it fails each time, and displays a notification that the connection has disconnected.

Here's my network_interfaces file:
Code:
allow-hotplug usb0
mapping hotplug
script grep
map usb0
iface usb0 inet static
address 192.168.1.64
netmask 255.255.255.0
up iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -s 192.168.1.99 -j MASQUERADE
up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -o eth0 -s 192.168.1.99 -j MASQUERADE
down echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
192.168.1.64 is my laptop's IP address, and 192.168.1.99 is what I want my Caanoo's address to be. Is that right?

EDIT:
Okay, after upgrading my Caanoo's firmware from 1.50 to 1.60, it still shows up in my network manager, but doesn't try to connect:

caanoousb.jpg

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but maybe some new solution is found.

The Windows driver, Thesycon driver, gets installed, but it errors with "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". Tried on 3 computers, same result.
On Linux (Ubuntu 11), I can ping the Caanoo, but that's all, the Caanoo can't ping my PC (tried with termlua2x), the connection is not established (I've installed everything from the instructions).

I've tried with caanoousbnetwork app, from Caanoo section dl.openhandhelds.org, that includes custom g_ether module (VID:pID=049F:505A), and also with the firmware included g_ether module (VID:pID=0525:A4A1).

PC runs Windows XP and Ubuntu 11. Caanoo firmware is 1.50. I've tried with 1.60, but caanoousbnetwork wrote some errors in the log with that version when loading the modules.

Thanks.

Edit: Sorry, I'm a beginner with Linux, so it was my mistake. Now I've successfully connected my Caanoo using Windows and Linux.
For the Linux way, the usb0 interface was not given an IP address automatically, so after manually assigning the address 10.0.0.1 (ifconfig usb0 10.0.0.1), it worked!
For the Windows way, Thesycon driver still doesn't work for me, but I've found another one that works, Belcarra USB LAN Adapter, that can be downloaded here: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/ScopedViewRedirect.aspx?updateid=cfaf6900-dfab-4438-b5a5-3ad6900dfc56 . I've read it's still shareware and works for an hour. The .inf file must be also modified with the VID:pID of Caanoo.

Now...my next problem is that the Caanoo apparently cannot reach the Internet. No response by ping-ing 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS server), and of course, no name resolution also (ping google.com). What can I do.

Thanks.

Edit2: Also solved the last problem: in Windows one must activate Internet Connection Sharing between Caanoo and the main network connection, to be able to browse the Internet from the Caanoo.

Thanks.

notaz said:
Don't know if that's easiest but I'd setup your laptop as a router.

So Caanoo would have:
ifconfig usb0 10.0.2.2 up
route add default gw 10.0.2.1
echo "nameserver your_ISP_DNS" > /etc/resolv.conf

Laptop:
ifconfig usb0 10.0.2.1 up [or give it that IP to usb0 using Network Manager, it might override ifconfig anyway]
Then follow some ubuntu internet connection sharing guite, perhaps this would help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Internet/ConnectionSharing#GUI%20Method%20via%20Network%20Manager%20(Ubuntu%209.10%20and%20up)

Hi,

I am trying to access the flash on my caanoo so I can edit the common.ini file so I can get my 360 controller working as per this link :)

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,747

I have installed Ubuntu just for this purpose and after 3hrs of trying to access the flash memory I have realised I have no idea how to get it to work. I've tried the stock IP settings, I have tried following the steps in this atricle, nothing is working. For a guy who normally figures stuff out this is very frustrating! When I run the app on the caanoo USB 0 tries to auto connect then fails after a time, I can see it trying to work but it just will not connect.I am using the latest caanoo firmware 1.6.1 If somebody could be so kind to provide a step by step seto of instructions to get this working i'd be so grateful. I seem to be a bit of a noob when it comes to telnet and linux so any and all help is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks for your time :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I am trying to access the flash on my caanoo so I can edit the common.ini file so I can get my 360 controller working as per this link :)

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,747

I have installed Ubuntu just for this purpose and after 3hrs of trying to access the flash memory I have realised I have no idea how to get it to work. I've tried the stock IP settings, I have tried following the steps in this atricle, nothing is working. For a guy who normally figures stuff out this is very frustrating! When I run the app on the caanoo USB 0 tries to auto connect then fails after a time, I can see it trying to work but it just will not connect.I am using the latest caanoo firmware 1.6.1 If somebody could be so kind to provide a step by step seto of instructions to get this working i'd be so grateful. I seem to be a bit of a noob when it comes to telnet and linux so any and all help is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks for your time :)

Good request, I totally agree. This thread is mighty confusing to anyone who hasn't delved into such problems before.

[edit] If you are here to make something work for the 1.6.1 firmware.. I think I don't find the 1.6.1 firmware useful at all! Try not updating for now.

Back