Usb-Ethernet With Stock Usb Cable

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
Download here:
http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/gph/usbnet1.zip

This was inspired by hcf's work at http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50468-howto-wiz-usb-ethernet-with-stock-usb-cable/

GPH were nice enough to include USB networking module in the Caanoo firmware,
so this is simple script will just load it up and set up usb0 interface, and
start telnet server which is also in firmware.

This is intended to be used with included USB cable to set up network to a PC
(note that this will most likely only work with Linux PC, but I've not
confirmed that).

Usage:
Edit the IP address in the script as needed.
Copy the contents of this zip to apps directory on SD card, then run it on
device using menu. Now PC should see it as USB ethernet device.

Last edited by a moderator:
does it use the ethernet gadget module ? i remember for the dingoo we had the same problem for windows users, no suiteable drivers where to be found. However we also found a solution for that, but it needs a new kernel ... (or kernel module replaced) we changed it to CDC Ethernet only and there exists a (demo) driver for this for any windows pc (including 64 bit) so usbnet was possible on the dingoo as well using that yet you only had 4 hours and then you had to reboot the pc to let the driver work again ...

joyrider said:
does it use the ethernet gadget module ? i remember for the dingoo we had the same problem for windows users, no suiteable drivers where to be found. However we also found a solution for that, but it needs a new kernel ... (or kernel module replaced) we changed it to CDC Ethernet only and there exists a (demo) driver for this for any windows pc (including 64 bit) so usbnet was possible on the dingoo as well using that yet you only had 4 hours and then you had to reboot the pc to let the driver work again ...
GPH only included g_ether, for g_cdc we'll need kernel source which is supposed to be released with next firmware.

notaz said:
GPH only included g_ether, for g_cdc we'll need kernel source which is supposed to be released with next firmware.

well, i can be totally wrong now, but the ethernet gadget may already run as CDC and not RNDIS:

ikari said:
RNDIS needs 4 usb endpoints(for control, in, out, status) but lf1000_udc.h says that LF1000(Pollux) supports only three(control, in, out). So ether.c's configuration codes of status endpoint are also disabled for LF1000(Pollux).

the demo driver can be found here http://www.thesycon.de/eng/usb_cdcecm.shtml

for all windows 7/64 bit users trying that demo driver - you need to disable driver sign checking. TRY THIS ON YOUR OWN RISK!

(original wiz info)

here's another thread about it,for reference, from the dingoonity forums which i made and someone made a helpfull "dummy" post to do it :)

It's a good read since the drivers don't work out of the box, they are designed to work with any CDC ethernet device, so you have to supply the device identiefer in an INF file first before installing the drivers (the caanoo one)...

I also remember at least on the dingoo that windows always detected an RNDIS device when using the gadget module, however the source / kernel modifications were small, just a define you had to unset or set

http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingux-development/rndis-usb-ethernet-gadget-problem-on-64-bit-vista-and-up-systems/

Hello,i think i have the solution for the g_ether problem.
I think its a Problem with the Driver,not with the LF1000.
Several guys from the OpenMoko Project had the same problems,but after changing the g_ether driver they´ve got this to work.
here is the Link:
http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1279

Gbemu said:
Several guys from the OpenMoko Project had the same problems,but after changing the g_ether driver they´ve got this to work.
here is the Link:

That sounds good! Has anyone tried it? How is it supposed to be done?

Thanks! ;)

2x3r said:
Gbemu said:
here is the Link:

That sounds good! Has anyone tried it? How is it supposed to be done?

Thanks! ;)

i tried to apply that patch on the wiz. it didn't work, and from my understanding RNDIS will never work with the LF1000 (wiz,caanoo soc) because of that missing 'endpoints' thingy i posted above.

crow_riot said:
i tried to apply that patch on the wiz. it didn't work, and from my understanding RNDIS will never work with the LF1000 (wiz,caanoo soc) because of that missing 'endpoints' thingy i posted above.

D***! My joy in a pool^^!
There has to be a way to get this in Win... :huh:

what do you mean exactly with the "endpoints thing" ?

if the source is like on the dingoo so basically a linux kernel, it should be possible, unless it's something hardware related since as far as i remember it was only a define in the module sources of the gadget rndis module...

joyrider said:
what do you mean exactly with the "endpoints thing" ?

if the source is like on the dingoo so basically a linux kernel, it should be possible, unless it's something hardware related since as far as i remember it was only a define in the module sources of the gadget rndis module...

there are two ways how to compile the g_ether module. either in RNDIS or CDC mode (iirc a #define only), both are from my understanding two different ways of communication.

the good thing about RNDIS would be that there are stock drivers included in almost every windows version, or could at least be installed using the standard .inf file found around the net. But the point is, RNDIS needs 4 communication channels (endpoints), but the LF1000 (SoC used in Wiz and Caanoo) does only provide 3. so the only way to go is compile g_ether in CDC mode.

The downside of using CDC is, that there is no driver around for windows, except the demo driver we found.

That's all i wanted to make clear, if anyone compiles the module wrong (just because it might be easier) it is not going to work. Nonetheless, i've windows 7 / 64 bit and tried the demo driver some time ago, and it didn't work for me either way i tried on the Wiz.

Anyone else having problems with the connection freezing on occasion? An ifconfig down/up sorts it out, but it's a little annoying.

2x3r said:
So users with Caanoo + Windows won't have it? :(

you can try it with the provided demo driver. try setting it up with help of the link joyrider posted.

crow_riot said:
you can try it with the provided demo driver. try setting it up with help of the link joyrider posted.

Will do, tx.

Back