Usb Connection Error

swampy

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I just got my GP2x and I´m trying to connect it with USB to my computer. I use Windows XP SP2 and Firmware 2.0.0 for my GP2x , and when i try to start USB on the GP2x i get a error message saying:

"One of the USB-devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

Anyone got a solution?

Its not only the SD-card i have troubles with. Since i cant reach the GP2x with the USB, I cant use USB-networking either.

I find I have no problem if I disable the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller. For anyone who may not know how to do this :
From the start menu right click on My Computer -> select Properties
Select the Hardware tab->Select Device Manager
open up the Universal Serial Bus Controller node (click on the + )
Right click on the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
In the drop down menu select Disable.
After doing that I have never had one problem connecting since I got my first edition unit when they first came out.( I am still on the original firmware so it may not work for you.)

Bump

I have the exact same problem =(

Can't reach SD, or NAND, or USB networking.

Tried two different XP machines

I wanted to try the USB enhcanced PCI thingy but I don't have that... the only thing That says USB enchanced I disabled, still had the problem with the handheld and my mouse didn't work anymore =)

other ideas? This is irritating... I can use a SD card reader without too much problems but I really would've liked to use USB networking!

Yes it is irritating! I just don't even bother using it anymore. On one PC I had it worked (sometimes) and on the other never.

Hell, even when it sometimes worked it wasn't 100%: you would be copying some files to the GP2X and then suddenly windows would tell you that you need to format the card!

Way too much hassle to bother with: I wonder when the hell they'll release a FW which fixes this once and for all?

I had the same problem. The solution get a USB cable the type you use with the USB hard drives. I used my one from my USB hard drive and it detected it instantly and worked fine.

EDIT: You might think the cable is the same as the one the GP2X ships with or that a card reader uses but they are not. The USB HDD cables are higher grade and carry voltage better from what I understand so the connect is more clear between the device.

swampy posted on Jul 26 2006 at 08:31 PM said:
I just got my GP2x and I´m trying to connect it with USB to my computer. I use Windows XP SP2 and Firmware 2.0.0 for my GP2x , and when i try to start USB on the GP2x i get a error message saying:

"One of the USB-devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

Anyone got a solution?
I have always had this problem with my V2, which I checked on 2 XP machines with SP2. However I had an old USB1.1 hub and when connected to that it works fine with the SD. Make sure you are set to USB connected screen as it will not work otherwise.
Wish I could get it sorted though as my table has more cables than a suspension bridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back