Computer Not Detecting Gp2x Over Usb?

Hydryad

Still Fresh
I am having a wierd problem, it seems like my computer just won't notice my gp2x. It did all of one time but I could not read what error message it gave about drivers, all the other times I click connect usb on the gp2x and it doesn't do anything on my computer. Fortunately I have a card read for my SD card because otherwise I would not be able to use my Gp2x at all. I am trying to set up USB networking now and so I need to resolve whatever is causing this. I am using windows XP SP2. Anyone know what would likely be the cause of this?

Try connecting the NAND instead of the SD to your PC (instead of hitting SD after "USB connect", hit NAND) and now the NAND should be accessable through your PC. Then unmount the NAND from the PC (just hit that icon in the lower right corner of your screen and disconnect the GP2x NAND from your PC) and then connect the SD card of the GP2x to your PC. That worked for me, at least, and now I can always connect the SD card with it working.

Just tried it, no luck. Still doesn't show anything on windows when I try to connect.

Check if you are using Firmware 2.0 and Windows XP (never know... maybe he is some Win98-guru :p )

If it doesn't work, either try Samba file sharing or tell yourself that GP2X have loads of bugs and is very slow with SD Cards, and that you'll better use an external SD Card reader :)

Lol yea I do have a card reader, and using windows XP SP2 as I mentioned in my post. Firmware version 2.0 on GP2X. Card reader does not solve the problem however, just allows me to get around it. I still would like to be able to network to it. I will live until I figure this out, but it is a nagging annoyance.

If you just want to read/write to your SD Card like any card reader, using a card reader is MUCH speeder, without speaking of the bugs some of us (including me) have had... so you may not worry about USB Mass Storage not working :)
(remember that you can always pop your card out without rebooting the GP2X each time, assuming you are in the menu or anywhere else where the card shouldn't be working)

If you want to telnet your GP2X or use Samba, it is much more complicated than just Plug and play

I mainly used this tuto from GP2X Generation and this WIKI page but I hope you are familiar with Linux, Samba and more generally computers :ph34r:

Have a look around this forum and you'll see plenty of people with the same problem. Apparently a new usb cable worked for some and the one supplied with the new units is sometimes faulty - this is even reported on the wiki.

Ahh go figure, I tested a different usb cable and it works, go figure. Thanks for the help.
*edit*
And I got the usb networking working too now no less! Woot!

Back