Usb Charge And Usbnet

Tashi

Website
Visit site
Hi all

I read its possible to charge the pandora over the mini USB connector. But when I connect the pandora to my Laptop it won`t charge. Second I like to setup a USB Network to access the Internet ober USB. Is this possible? I read something in firmware release notes about usbnet.

Regards
Tashi

Tashi said:
Hi all

I read its possible to charge the pandora over the mini USB connector. But when I connect the pandora to my Laptop it won`t charge.

Yes mine is charging from usb right now, Its ALOT slower,
have you tried plugging your laptop in, if it is running off batteries it might not be pumping out enough juice?

Last edited by a moderator:
With regards the USB networking theres this recent thread from the other forum
http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/1103-usb-networking/
Its purely Linux based if thats of use? I´ve not found any windows threads yet.

@meandu: Thanks, I plug the Pandora now in another Notebook (at work) and now it works! Must be something with my laptop at home. Maybe he was running on batteries.

@chaser: Also thank you for the link. The people there write "On Pandora: Activate USB Network on the Pandora. Restart. Plug Pandora into PC." Hmm I don`t see where to select "Activate USB Network". Maybe I ask directly in the tread.

Hi Tashi, the closest I can find for 'Activate USB Network' is here :

settings>startup>enable/disable services on boot> (which takes you to 'Service Manager')

The bottom choice is a tick box for 'Start USB Network on bootup'

I haven't given it a go though, so no idea if that's whats required. On mine its already ticked by default. I'll have to give it a go myself aswell and see if I get anywhere as It could be useful.

I would advise you do ask in that thread though, as those guys know whats what :)

I´ve not had time either (big family) but if you do figure it out, dont forget to post a write up on how to do so, as it will no doubt benefit others :)

Regarding charging from USB, the charge chip has a very narrow band set for the USB. While the AC charger can fluctuate from 4.5 to 6 volts and still charge fine, it pretty much must be 5 volts exactly, with a full 500ma for it to trigger the charge; anything else and it disables the charge for fear of something wrong. Try some different computers, notably desktops, and see if any of them will allow a charge. If so, it probably means the power coming out of your laptops USB is either not quite stable enough, or too low to trigger the Pandora to charge. Other devices tend to be less sensitive and more forgiving of variance, I've found, and it's possible to reconfigure the charge chip to be just as insensitive if it turns out that that is the case.

WizardStan said:
Regarding charging from USB, the charge chip has a very narrow band set for the USB. While the AC charger can fluctuate from 4.5 to 6 volts and still charge fine, it pretty much must be 5 volts exactly, with a full 500ma for it to trigger the charge; anything else and it disables the charge for fear of something wrong. Try some different computers, notably desktops, and see if any of them will allow a charge. If so, it probably means the power coming out of your laptops USB is either not quite stable enough, or too low to trigger the Pandora to charge. Other devices tend to be less sensitive and more forgiving of variance, I've found, and it's possible to reconfigure the charge chip to be just as insensitive if it turns out that that is the case.

Yes the pandora works with one laptop but not with the another one. Must be this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back