USB-C

Most peripherals I use have fullUSB-A male or miniUSB-B female connectors on. Some have fullUSB-B female, and one or two have microUSB-B female.

I don't think I've ever seen (let alone owned or used) something with USB-C.
I do have some devices that talk RS232 serial though...

My housemate got a new phone last week and started flipping out because it had a proprietary charge cable. I'd never seen one before but after flipping it a bit I was able to reassure him that it was, in fact, a USB-C micro, not proprietary.
So I've seen one device now.

my work replaced my broken Surface 3 pro with an HP elite x2. its charging port is USB-C/thunderbolt . not many cheapish cables around and i have read that a lot of USB-C chargers don't work with it. Getting a hub or breakout for it is also expensive...

Still hate the fact I'll never know which way my USB cable is orientated. It could be upside down even now and I won't know it.

Still hate the fact I'll never know which way my USB cable is orientated. It could be upside down even now and I won't know it.
Tell me about it, you never know where you stand with those. Keeps me up at night, just like wearing out my Pandora's NAND.

The whole shitty cables debacle really put me off USB-C though, coupled with half-baked devices that only implement partial features of the standard. It all feels like half-kept promises. I'm sure it will all look quite different in 5 years' time, but I do wish the tech industry as a whole prized quality and polish a little more.

In my humble opinion - if you're buying a Pyra, locate and acquire what you'll want/need for microUSB 3.0 OTG cables while you can. Although I don't think they'll be completely unobtanium, I suspect that they could be come more difficult to find as time goes on. Kind of like trying to find SCSI cables, adapters & terminators these days.

In my humble opinion - if you're buying a Pyra, locate and acquire what you'll want/need for microUSB 3.0 OTG cables while you can. Although I don't think they'll be completely unobtanium, I suspect that they could be come more difficult to find as time goes on.

I was convinced of this during the pandora's lifetime, that mini-USB OTG cables would be hard to find cheaply by now, and picked one up immediately. I was later reminded of this claim and bought another one, only finding out I'd already bought one when I stuffed it next to the old one in my 'to be used' electronics and cables box. I've still never actually tested either of them, and on checking amazon uk now, I see I can buy one for under 2GBP (probably with heinous postage, but that's amazon for you).

Regarding SCSI cables, I stopped buying them after I bought a 50pin IDC crimp tool. Of course, having bought that I've never actually used it, already having the right cables to hook up all my SCSI kit, and it turns out never buying another SCSI bit of kit since. Just like I bought 100m of cat5e cable just as wifi became a prominent thing. Hopefully my decision to plump for a pre-pre-ordered and soon to be real Pyra isn't another one of these decisions of mine.

It's always the things I don't think I will ever need that I later have to buy for really high prices. All those things I got just in case are still sitting around unused. I still continue to get stuff like that, just in case...

It's always the things I don't think I will ever need that I later have to buy for really high prices. All those things I got just in case are still sitting around unused. I still continue to get stuff like that, just in case...
And you can never throw any of it out. if you do you will need one within two weeks !!!

The Nintendo Switch is my first USB-C device.
I really like the plug.

The only thing I still need to get used to is not to check whether it'll already fit or I have to flip it for 180°.
That's such a miracle.
And it's even a lot easier to plug in than a (correctly flipped) common USB cable.

The pandora is the only device in my house for which I still need a mini usb cable to charge it. It's pretty inconvenient that it's not the same as the others.

There are now a few phones in my house that require a USB-C, and I expect that in a couple of years I'll be in the same situation, with the pyra being the only device stopping me from only having USB-Cs.

The pandora is the only device in my house for which I still need a mini usb cable to charge it. It's pretty inconvenient that it's not the same as the others.
There are now a few phones in my house that require a USB-C, and I expect that in a couple of years I'll be in the same situation, with the pyra being the only device stopping me from only having USB-Cs.
I mostly use my psp-charger as it charges faster, but the one mini-USB cable I have is for the Pandora.

There's one device I have that uses a µUSB cable, my Android shitphone. For me, miniUSB still rules among every other device I use.

My notebook, a System76 Lemur, is the first USB C computer I own. I don't think it is real 'c' though, it can't charge through the port, I think it is just a USB3 port shaped like a USB C. I plug in my GoPro, which is the second C device I got, and it isn't any faster. In fact it is faster to remove the SD card and plug it directly into my computer, which the SD card reader is off of my USB3 bus, not my C bus. If it has different buses, I'm confused about USB. . .

With USB-C, I no longer have a way to show off how much of a perfectionist I am by correctly plugging in cables the right way around on the first try. Life was so much easier when we had (not mini) PS/2 ports.

Back