USB-C

Kiga

Very Active Member
Usb-c is taking over on the market and it will be everywhere soon, on smartphones AND on laptop.
- Usb-c has more features than micro 3.0,
- Mirco 3.0 is already rare and will be more and more.
- Micro usb 3.0 is the only 3.0 port we have and it is a very rare port so to have 3.0 speed you have to carry an adaptator everywhere.
- Whereas usb-c will be more and more a standard port like usb-a (full size usb).
I know it's late, but once mass production is on there will be no change untill several years, plus Pyra is supposed to be upgradable so we're not supposed to buy a new main pcb and case.

Can we get an usb-c port instead of the micro usb 3.0?

While USB-C is definitly cool and all, it wasn't a big thing when the Pyra project was started and changing something like this would mean the molds and PCB designs have to be changed. And USB-C still isn't as important of a thing, most laptops only have 1 or 2 ports. Yes, I personally would be happier with C and Micro 3.0 is ugly as sin and rather rare, but it's the only viable option that was available and supported by the OMAP5432.

I'd hope if there are enough changes to make offering replacement peripheral boards a good idea, usb-c would be considered also.

Also, do were not already have a thread about this? It's not new.

For me there is no difference from Buying an USB3 or USB C Adapter Cable. But the Molds are mostly finished so Modifying the Port might be impossible. Also are there already OTG Adapters for USB C?

While USB-C is definitly cool and all, it wasn't a big thing when the Pyra project was started and changing something like this would mean the molds and PCB designs have to be changed..
Yeah I know, but it IS a big thing now and MAYBE it still can be implemented because it's just a hole in the case and a few traces on the pcb.
And that would be a HUGE improvement for the future,

Also, do were not already have a thread about this? It's not new.
The other thread is in offtopic section, I wanted to talk about the Pyra.

For me there is no difference from Buying an USB3 or USB C Adapter Cable. But the Molds are mostly finished so Modifying the Port might be impossible. Also are there already OTG Adapters for USB C?
Apparently https://www.amazon.com/Type-Cable-EZOPower-Female-Adapter/dp/B012ZCNZPM
[doublepost=1468776106,1468775935][/doublepost]ED's reply:
It wouldn't fit in the case.
Damn, that was my biggest concern, too bad, I'll be happy with micro-b, nevertheless.

Edit:
I'm not sure if you were talking about the space in the case or the hole for the port in the case. If it's the hole, I think it worth to change the mold a bit.
Would probably add 3 months delay (changing the motherboard, another test-run, then changing the case, etc.) and add 10.000 EUR to the costs.
Naaaah. I could offer that later as an upgrade, but money is tight and time as well :)

Last edited:
I've a suspicion that by the time a new CPU board rolls round, it may not support the same range of 1 USB2 port (micro), 1 USB2/3 port (full size) and 1 USB3 (micro), so it may need a new case anyway (or some insert to blank out unused ports at least).

I'd be very surprised if a future SoC does not have a client port. All the host ports can be solved with a hub if need be. The second (2.0) micro USB port is a USB-UART, not a USB port from the SoC.

Indeed. I was trying to just take inference from the shape though. Presumably if a future CPU board did have enough USB2 ports, one could be exposed through that hole, but you couldn't get USB3 out through it.

According to ED it's too much of a change too late.
Would probably add 3 months delay (changing the motherboard, another test-run, then changing the case, etc.) and add 10.000 EUR to the costs.
Naaaah. I could offer that later as an upgrade, but money is tight and time as well :)
I don't really know what a future SOC can support, but a future CPU PCB could support more stuff than the new SOC. For example the initial idea was to have 4 chips for 4GB RAM and it looks we'll finally have 2 chips.
I mean for a future PCB design there might be place for companion chips, either rotator, "southbirdge" (peripheral controller, in particular you might be able to put a chip giving USBs from PCIe or whatever), etc. So that the differences in SOC can be compensated on the CPU PCB.
It depends on availability of too many things at future times, prices, space, complexity... it's too difficult to forecast one way or the other.

I think the micro usb3 can also be used as a micro usb2 (same connector, narrower).

To me it really doesn't matter : I'll use the big ports as usb2. I'll only need the usb3 for either my externat hdd or a dockibg station, for each case I'll have an adequate cable with the HDD or the station.

Isn't it possible to change the USB 2 to 3.X? They are the same size after all.

Yes, if an SoC comes around that supports USB3 on a channel other than the OTG channel (hopefully in addtition to that), and ED is able to buy units to make into CPU boards, it'll be possible in future to use that as a full USB3 port. The OMAP5 ties USB3 up with the OTG symbols, so it only really makes sense to put that on a USB micro port that has enough pins to offer OTG functionality - big ports can only be either host or client, OTG ports are switchable.

Sorry to bump this thread but just got my first device with USB C and it is such an improvement. On a physical and utility level. Too late in the game for the first version but how about for the Pyra v2? It is worth it IMHO.

By the time a Pyra 2 is being thought of we might be looking at USB-E for all we know. Remember, the Pyra has an upgradable CPU board with the intention of extending the life of the mainboard by years. We may not see the need for a replacement to the main handheld for a decade.

Back