Updates On Stuff!

namco

Website
www.stupendous-stuff.com
Ok, my main pc is still busted and I've managed to get my laptop working a few weeks ago. I've decided to re-download the zombiepox source and do it again, currently it's giving me a headache!! :angry:

However, whilst people are waiting for the port of that one, as it's going to be a while, I decided to try a quick and dirty port of something else, namely FreeRA (the port of C&C's Red Alert). Unlike zombiepox, this didn't take much to work out how to compile and I've managed to get it to compile a .gpe file. When run through the GP2X it displays a blank screen (so to me that sounds good so far) - I just need to rip out the relevent .mix file from my red alert cd and try it. If it works, all i then need to do is sort the controls for the mouse and voila!! :D

namco posted on Mar 4 2007 at 07:50 PM said:
Ok, my main pc is still busted and I've managed to get my laptop working a few weeks ago. I've decided to re-download the zombiepox source and do it again, currently it's giving me a headache!! :angry:

Thanks for not forgetting about ZombiePox! Please let me know if I can assist you in any way with its release. It already has graphics (and that's my focus), but I'd be happy to help with a readme or something like that.

zombie-tee-shirt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about porting FreeRA, but I just wasn't very impressed with it. AI wasn't quite there, I think...

Give it a shot though Namco. I'm curious to see how well it runs on the GP2X (it only gets like 60 fps on my P4 though...)

on FreeRA:

Well after waiting over half an hour for the 433Meg main.mix file to write to the GP2X I still got a blank screen. I've even recompiled it and, annoyingly it compiles with no errors, and yet STILL has a blank screen. So there is *something* that I'm doing right, yet there's something missing and I can't quite work out what!

on Zombiepox:

Managed to get it down to 19 errors!! YAY!

namco said:
Ok, my main pc is still busted and I've managed to get my laptop working a few weeks ago. I've decided to re-download the zombiepox source and do it again, currently it's giving me a headache!!
Thanks for not forgetting about ZombiePox! Please let me know if I can assist you in any way with its release. It already has graphics (and that's my focus), but I'd be happy to help with a readme or something like that.

Nice t-shirt! :)

Maybe we should do a special edition download!! :p

GameGod said:
I thought about porting FreeRA, but I just wasn't very impressed with it. AI wasn't quite there, I think...
Give it a shot though Namco. I'm curious to see how well it runs on the GP2X (it only gets like 60 fps on my P4 though...)

It should run OK on the GP2X! I'm sure that it only needed a P90. Are you running RA on dosbox or something?

namco posted on Mar 5 2007 at 10:31 AM said:
GameGod said:

It should run OK on the GP2X! I'm sure that it only needed a P90. Are you running RA on dosbox or something?
That 60fps is probably due to vsync, an in game limitation, or perhaps running through dosbox. I'm guessing vsync, it caps the fps at 15, 30, 45, or 60 to prevent tearing.

Btw I can't wait to see this on the gp2x, RTS, should be good, adapting it for the display could be difficult, but I reckon it will work better than ttd, if you do it right. (Zoom out/ in options).

It could take some tweaking to get a decent mouse emulation with the joystick of course... Looking forward to it. (It would be cool if there's multiplayer support - as in game networking to allow for innovations such as bluetooth, wifi, usb GP2x to GP2x networking, and etc.)

TBH at the moment, all I'm doing it compiling it straight after downloading it to see if it runs, if so I can then make changes. If what I'm doing is wrong then could someone please say so?

Just to fuel the fps discussion a little bit...
What framerate should I expect

Well, I use a laptop with a AMD athlon XP 3000+ processor. The processor runs at 1600 Mhz. And, with the latest version of freera, I get a framerate between 65 and 70.

This I found in the faq section of the freera website (not the sourceforge one). Are you sure this is going to be easy? It seems like the author has not really optimized his code at all but rather assumes that the game will be played on highend x86 pcs.

hhhmmm, see I was going to try Freecnc, but, at the time, I couldn't locate the download files from the main site and looking at the forums today I did notice that freecnc only has partial support for Red Alert...

Yeah, FreeRA is much farther along than FreeCNC is considering the time period. Actually, I believe FreeRA started with the codebase of FreeCNC.

Like someone else said, the only problem I could see with this is the AI, but I suppose someone could fix that once it's up and running.

All I remember was that I couldn't fathom why it was giving me a black screen.

I *could* try it again at some point but I'm not making any promises as to whether it gets past the black screen or not.

Other than that I suggest using psx4gp2x and see if you can get CnC working on that.

FreeRA was recently updated to 0.46.

Changelog:

Fix the distance calculation
Fix a crash bug (where the game hit a assert())
Update the ListboxClass to have a slider bar (indicating the scrolling position).
Use new font's that look a lot better
Fix a regression in the naval yard workings (spawning of ships),
Fix don't display worn down ground for naval buildings
Fix some uninitialized variables comparisons,
Make the main menu scalable
Fix placement of the allied barracks
Read some general sounds from the sound.ini file,
Add some new sounds

Back