Update The Forum

I don't use internet explorer so the virus doesn't bother me, but I don't like the idea of this forum uing this current version when the admin knows that it has been hacked (at least) once already. If they can modify the template files they can obviously gain access to the database, if they wish and then who knows what havok they will cause.

In some other thread someone made a good point: could just as well be the webserver, in which case there's not much to be gained by updating the forum.

craigix posted on Apr 5 2006 at 09:49 PM said:
Just abandon Internet Explorer. Why do you need it?
I guess that at least means that GP32X members will still be affected, but I can't believe that it would be very good for sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
People should not be forced to migrate to Firefox, certainly not at the expense of their system.

- Alex

Alex. posted on Apr 6 2006 at 12:47 AM said:
People should not be forced to migrate to Firefox, certainly not at the expense of their system.

- Alex

Fair point. How much of a stink would people kick up if a server was infected with a virus that affects Firefox, Opera and the other browsers and the admin's/community advice was: 'Just use good ol' microsoft products to access this page and you'll be fine'. I'm sure they'd be accused of being in bed with the afore mentioned and all sorts.

As far as I'm aware it's a problem that's fixable, so it should be fixed surely? We all want to live in a world of optimisation where everything works with everything don't we? ;)

Possibly more accurate to say that people use IE at the expense of their system :p

On a more serious note, I hate IE. It's a straight-out, not-very-funny joke of a browser. Designed by clowns, loved and defended by clowns :ph34r: . However, the forums have already been hammered once with this bug/exploit and it's unfair to leave the holes open when they are (seemingly) well documented and easily patched (thanks to a donated license, I forget who, but thanks from myself and I'm sure the rest of the community)

After all, where would we be without clowns :blink:

Thanks for updating the forums - not that I ever touch IE, but I appericate the effort.

That really depends on what they would do with the forum then... not injecting malicious code that affects the internet explorer but reads out our passwords or something. Just imagine all the sony fanboys going script kid rambo on our asses...

DijiTao posted on Apr 10 2006 at 04:09 PM said:
Thanks for updating the forums - not that I ever touch IE, but I appericate the effort.
My feelings precisely. Thanks for spending the time to update it, Rico.

Hando, as the only administrator here, was the one to update the forum. Your thanks should go to him (although it did take some time)

Rico posted on Apr 13 2006 at 01:08 PM said:
Hando, as the only administrator here, was the one to update the forum. Your thanks should go to him (although it did take some time)
Thanks Hando, then.

Back