Understanding the lurkers

Are you a lurker or a poster?

• I'm a lurker. My Post/Month ratio is under 2. I have not ordered a Pyra.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • I'm a lurker. My Post/Month ratio is under 2. I have ordered a Pyra.

Votes: 51 46.4%
  • I'm a poster. My Post/Month ratio is 2 or more. I have not ordered a Pyra.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I'm a poster. My Post/Month ratio is 2 or more. I have ordered a Pyra.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • I like to respond to polls but have no interest in the Pyra.

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Been a member of the boards for a long time. had a GP2X, ordered a pandora, but cancelled when it all looked like going south. I like evildragon, so keep up with what he is doing. Interested in a pyra. I'm a dev, so I flit to whatever interests me. Developed for iOS for years when the iphone 1 came out (back in the good old jailbreak days). Built my own bartop arcade with a pi, so that scratches that itch :)

Better to be a fool for trying than accomplishing nothing due to fear.
I played F.E.A.R. all my life... now I feel I have accomplished nothing I.R.L. so I feel like a fool.. I try not to, though... it makes me feel better.

I think I have been a hardcore lurker for two years now. Didn't post anything as up until recently I wasn't really sure I would ever need and thus buy a Pyra. I'm not a gamer. Ocasionally i'll play one of the scumm classics or a round of go but thats about it. My smartphone is an old Galaxy Note and on its last legs and the last android update by samsung was years ago. I don't have the will and time to play around with dozens of custom roms just to get the security fixes newer android versions provide. Also I don't want android anymore (nor ios windows pone) because of the privacy and data craken issues.
So you can probably guess that I would very much like to replace my phone with a 4G Pyra. I don't mind looking akward when calling someone, as may main use for my phone is mostly messaging and browsing teh interweb, but it has to be able to work as a phone. Of course the Pyra would then partially replace my laptop for coding on the go, watching movies (oh the long battery life) and especially when travelling for managing my photos. Also I think it would make a nice RC-controller.

So why didn't I preorder a Pyra? Two reasons:
1. I'm currently travelling and on a tight budget. Although I would really like to have a pyra right now instead of notebook and phone.
2. When spending that kind of money, I have to be sure it can reliably work as a basic phone as I cannot justify to have and do not want to carry around a Pyra and a phone. If I carry two devices, it might as well be a laptop and a phone.

I hope I contributed to understanding the lurkers ;) and if I can manage it somehow, I'll surely buy a Pyra as soon as someone sucessfully demonstrates the phone capabilities. If the Pyra is still in preorder phase by then and I somehow accumulated enough money, I'll probably make a preorder.

I was huge into the Pandora when it was out. I was developing a Gentoo OS for the Pandora before it came out using the original BeagleBoard.

The end of the story is a sad one. The Pandora died on me and was replaced twice. The third time, I asked for a refund and settled for a Google Nexus phone ever since.

My love of this community has never gone. I speak of this place frequently with my co-workers and friends when they ask how I got certain skills. EvilDragon has done an immense work keeping it going despite the difficult Pandora, and I hope the Pyra launches to great success.

I personally have not preordered yet. I have drifted away from hobbyist software development since "real life" knocked me out of it, but I can't describe how much I want to save up for this thing and dive back in.

Maybe this year. Maybe in a few months. Who knows? :)

Until then, I continue to lurk...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I was huge into the Pandora when it was out. I was developing a Gentoo OS for the Pandora before it came out using the original BeagleBoard.

The end of the story is a sad one. The Pandora died on me and was replaced twice. The third time, I asked for a refund and settled for a Google Nexus phone ever since.

My love of this community has never gone. I speak of this place frequently with my co-workers and friends when they ask how I got certain skills. EvilDragon has done an immense work keeping it going despite the difficult Pandora, and I hope the Pyra launches to great success.

I personally have not preordered yet. I have drifted away from hobbyist software development since "real life" knocked me out of it, but I can't describe how much I want to save up for this thing and dive back in.

Maybe this year. Maybe in a few months. Who knows? :)

Until then, I continue to lurk...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I didn't realise pandora and pyra are considered for software development too, I saw the thumbsticks and figured it's designed use was emulation of legacy consoles.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

I didn't realise pandora and pyra are considered for software development too, I saw the thumbsticks and figured it's designed use was emulation of legacy consoles.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Or commandeering surveillance drones...

The only limits are in the imagination.

I'm a long time lurker who occasionally posts. I've got a pandora, but I don't use it much. I haven't pre-ordered because of
the credit I have at Link's shop due to the whole iControlPad2 thing.

I'm a Lurker, I enjoy reading about these things I followed and purchased the GP2X F100, F200 and a first batch Pandora which still works perfectly. Everyday I followed the progress an even let out a yell when an email said my Pandora was in the post. Sadly I'm a pensioner now and It's out my price range but I stll take an interest in it.

I'm kind of a lurker - I enjoy reading posts and updates, again and again being amazed about this great community of people working toward makting something from scratch - and making it as perfect as possible right at first try. Even if I never owned a Pandora, my personal history with multifunctional full-keyboard portable devices goes back a long way, down to Psions, Palms, Nokia Communicators and Motorola Milestones/Droids. I mostly used those as personal information managers, communication devices and for a bit of casual gaming and creative writing while on the go.

So it was natural (and thanks to a financial windfall possible) to preorder a Pyra - and in parallel a GPD Win, which I will sell again soon. Compared to the features already implemented in the Pyra prototypes, the care that went into perfecting all components and the modularity for future updates, the GPD Win just does not cut it. Although I'm not a Linux guy (and therefore can't add much in the technical discussions) I'm glad to be a member of this community, and look forward to learning a few new tricks on the way, and finally getting my machine - someday. Already, the journey up to here was half the fun.

Last edited:
Back