Understanding the lurkers

Are you a lurker or a poster?

• I'm a lurker. My Post/Month ratio is under 2. I have not ordered a Pyra.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • I'm a lurker. My Post/Month ratio is under 2. I have ordered a Pyra.

Votes: 51 46.4%
  • I'm a poster. My Post/Month ratio is 2 or more. I have not ordered a Pyra.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I'm a poster. My Post/Month ratio is 2 or more. I have ordered a Pyra.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • I like to respond to polls but have no interest in the Pyra.

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wir brauchen mehr seltsame deutsche Worte :)
(Whe need more odd German words)
Ich könnte auch einfach bilingual Posten, dann können Leute die deutsch und englisch reden notfalls übersetzten wenn was von meinem Englisch ganz schrecklich ist
(I also could post bilingual (two language)
This way, peaple that speaks German and English could translate if my English is way to awefull)

According to the post/month ratio I alternate between lurking and posting I suppose...
(since the average doesn't tell the whole story).

There was a time when I was among the more active posters on these boards,
but these days I mostly check in every once in a while to see if there is any news.

All my Pandoras (3) have died on me and I don't feel like spending time or more money on them.
Can't wait to receive my Pyra. I will probably become more active again once I do.

Last edited:
Yeah, you can post in your native language here, especially if it's germanic or romantic (you finns can keep away with that gibberish ;) ), but since I can't converse in those languages ...
Does "those languages" also refer to "your native language? So you do not understand any language, that's native to somebody?
You don't know any germanic language? ???
What languages are romantic to you?

..., but since I can't converse in those languages those threads tend to be quiet.
Being full of yourself? ;)

I heard about the Pandora years and years ago and was interested in getting one but wasn't much of a pre-ordering person back then. Didn't think there was a need to join the forums. Had plenty of other things to do.
Since it took a while to come out, probably forgot about it. The need to have one was probably pretty low as well.
When the topic of portable machines came up at work, I mentioned the Pandora then decided I should do some research. It was pre-pre order time. I did some reading into what had gone on and thought it was an interesting ride to jump on board. So I did.
I was way too late to have any input into what was going to make the device.
I'm a software engineer so I can only really offer input via checkins. I looked at buying a eval board to get a head start but the cost/benefit wasn't there for me, so I pre-ordered a 2nd pyra.
I'm reluctant to say things in the news boards because I feel like a lot of conversation goes on in IRC that I don't get to sit in too often.
Can't comment on Pandora games since I don't own one. Don't like adding to speculation topics. When the colour question comes up I vote but avoid adding just another line to the conversation because it's a simple matter of preference.
I also prefer posts that have meaty content. Thoughts - Reasoning - Conversational babble. Since I don't hit that mark with most of my thoughts on other threads, I'll like a post and move on :)

i haven't ever sat in on the IRC. (well, i think i stopped in for like a second once, but i didn't say anything.) doesn't stop me from posting stupid stuff, averaging about 36 posts a month... :D

i haven't ever sat in on the IRC. (well, i think i stopped in for like a second once, but i didn't say anything.) doesn't stop me from posting stupid stuff, averaging about 36 posts a month... :D
When I first went in, I was told to "GET OUT" it was great

Does "those languages" also refer to "your native language? So you do not understand any language, that's native to somebody?
You don't know any germanic language? ???
What languages are romantic to you?
Heh, I should have properly called them the romance languages, rather than romantic. Languages like French and Italian are the romance languages - derived from latin and roman times. And my native tongue is primarily west germanic especially in grammar, but with a lot of words from french - you might be familiar with it.
Being full of yourself? ;)
Yeah, fair point. I knew I should have edited that!

I have not pre-ordered yet solely because my Craig pre-order of the open pandora was never filled. After exchange fees shipping and a TV out cable I'm out over $600.

I did however purchase a used pandora classic on eBay and I'm more than happy with it.

The tipping point for me would be some sort of compensation for the money lost for the original mishap.

I know there has been legal action but living in the states I didn't really follow it once I realized it was yet another risky investment. I'm also aware of the vouchers ED offered to buy a unit at parts cost which I do appreciate but never was able to follow through with. When I had the money the voucher didn't work so I didn't pull the trigger on it thus leading to my eBay unit.

Now this opinion of mine is STRICTLY for pre-order investments. I have no problem placing an order once units are being shipped and available. But having gone through that knowing quite a bit of other people on here have as well can anyone blame us for being skeptical to get involved in another pre-order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lurker here.

I own a pandora, but I don't find much use for it these days, so I'm still undecided whether ordering a Pyra or not. Afterall, I could buy a place ticket from EU to Sri Lanka and back with the money. And such things interest me more than video games nowadays.

But anyway, I might get a Pyra eventually, as the nostalgia gaming sometimes strikes and I guess ED's creations are the definitive devices for this activity.

Background: I ordered a Pandora back in Craig days but after delays I cancelled it. Many years later, in 2014, I joined the forums and got finally a unit from ED. Been lurking since then.

Give every man thy ear but few thy voice.
I consider myself as a lurker, since I don't post much.

<mylife>
Discovered Open Pandora in 2008.
Pre odrered at Craig's two weeks after that.
Waited a long time and never received anything.
Heard about the Pyra with the 2014 Fossdem video.
Lurked the boards since then.
Created an account because of the clear case.
Luckily pre ordered half an hour after pre orders started.
Biggest Pyra achievement so far.
Posted some things, trying to be funny.
Underskilled to be useful to the project.
Rarely finish the thi
[doublepost=1485716704,1485715676][/doublepost]
Languages like French and Italian are the romance languages

Some french expressions.

When you are sure of what you say, you are 'ready to put your balls on the table'.
When you decide to work a lot, you 'get your fingers out of your ass'.
When you overreact, you 'shit a clock'.

Ho la la ! ;=ppp
OK, it's late, I'm tired, I'm already out.

Some french expressions.

When you are sure of what you say, you are 'ready to put your balls on the table'.
When you decide to work a lot, you 'get your fingers out of your ass'.
When you overreact, you 'shit a clock'.

Ho la la ! ;=ppp
OK, it's late, I'm tired, I'm already out.
Kinda like "get your thumb out of your ass" or "shitting bricks" that are heard in English in some places. I don't recall anything quite like the first example you have.

I was supposed to get a Pandora as part of my GBAX 2007 prize, but that didn't happen... I bought a ReBirth in 2013 and use it every now and then, although according to System Info it still only has 20 charge cycles after over 3 years of use - hey, at this pace I'll probably never see the purple screen of death! It's a very cool device and I love all the history behind it. Making GP2X games and being active on GP32x set me on the road I'm on.

I didn't pre-order a Pyra because it's a lot of money and at this point it wouldn't affect the project's fate in any way. I'll probably end up getting one after it's released, especially if my Pandora breaks.

long time lurker some time poster. followed the saga of the Pandora for a while before i joined the boards. havent been able to afford a pandora due to life getting in the way... still clawing my way out of debt so couldnt pre order a Pyra. so a big thank you to all who took the plunge and belived ED could pull this off. never doubted it my self but its nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel. hopefully there will be a second batch run and i can order then. for me its the exchange rate that hurts a lot...

Back