un-Auto hide task bar

teknotoast

Still Fresh
This is likely not going to be the last post of this kind, so buckle up. I auto-hid the task bar, don't have my nubs set up for mouse (yet) and the stylus isn't fine enough to click down to get it back, how can I rectify this?

EDIT with some stylus trickery I got it, lesson learned, don't auto hide the taskbar.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also have used the Pandora button to bring up the menu, and changed nub mode back to mouse from there.

I had an issue last week where the Pandora menu button disappeared completely (happens on occasion, but I haven't seen it for ages). The fix is to right-click the taskbar and add it again, but my nubs were in joystick mode and I couldn't access the menu to change them! Plugging in a USB mouse enabled me to fix it. There's always a way in.

If you keyboard shortcut the nub configurator you can bring it back up without the menu aswell. Handy for quickly switching profile prior/post to a game like Duke Nukem too.

You could also have used the Pandora button to bring up the menu, and changed nub mode back to mouse from there.
Unfortunately not. There's bugs in the "open menu" feature of the WM, so that function was replaced with a much simpler "move the mouse to near the lower left corner and click". If the task bar is hidden, it won't click on the button because the button is hidden, unfortunately.

Unfortunately not. There's bugs in the "open menu" feature of the WM, so that function was replaced with a much simpler "move the mouse to near the lower left corner and click". If the task bar is hidden, it won't click on the button because the button is hidden, unfortunately.

Could this not be changed to move the mouse to the very bottom left hand corner and click? This would then unhide the task bar (if hidden), or click the menu button (if task bar was not hidden).

Due to the limited screen estate on the Pandora, I always set the task bar to autohide, however to allow the taskbar to be unhidden by a click at the bottom of the screen I have to deliberately miscalibrate the touch screen as the physical presence of the bezel around the screen prevents clicking the very bottom of the screen with the stylus.

Following on from my thread () - sorry, wouldn't let me insert as link for some reason - I've still not seen the issues you spoke about. The only thing I can say is you don't get the icons in the menus, but that's irrelevant to me

I still see no real FIX for this, so just for emergency reasons, how bring I back the task bar when it's gone? How is this actualy handled on the average Linux Desktop PC?

Oh. Bummer.

I still see no real FIX for this, so just for emergency reasons, how bring I back the task bar when it's gone? How is this actualy handled on the average Linux Desktop PC?
There are different versions of 'gone' but in each case, a USB mouse gets you out of trouble. If it is merely auto-hidden, just mouse down to the bottom of the screen to bring it into view. If it has been removed completely (rare, but possible), right-click on the desktop and go to Applications -> Settings -> Desktop -> Panel. You should be able to set things right from there.

If the Pandora menu button only has disappeared, this.

1. Tap and hold the stylus on the screen (in an empty space)

2. Select Applications -> Settings -> Desktop -> Panel from the menus

3. Click the + button to create a new Panel

You'll have to reconstruct all the panel contents, but it's a start.

Also, if you follow this link, you'll see that I set up the Pandora button to launch the XFCE menu without worrying about auto-hide etc. The only issue I had with that is missing icons

Back