Uk And Us Power Adapter

id10t

Will the supplied PSU/charger take both 110V and 220V on the input side?

I hope to have the Pandora as my main travel companion.
Some gadgets I have bought came with PSUs that can take either mains voltage,
which is great for portable devices.

ID

I am sure that it would make manufacturing easier if the A/C to D/C converter as the PSU handled that, however, the plugs are different sized, which stops that concept. Due to different plug formats, the adapters will have to be for that specific region of electrical outlet format.
Reminds me about how my New Zealand friend was struggling to find a New Zealand adapter for a laptop he bought, as it came with an American one.

ID10T said:
Will the supplied PSU/charger take both 110V and 220V on the input side?

I hope to have the Pandora as my main travel companion.
Some gadgets I have bought came with PSUs that can take either mains voltage,
which is great for portable devices.

ID
The Pandora chages via the mini USB port so you can charge it via any USB port on any computer or device that has powered USB. IF you need mains power It will likely work the same way that the Motorola Razor phones do. A general mini usb cable that connects to simple wall wart with 5v 500Ma usb connector on the bottom. Like This in the US or this in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kloplop321 said:
I am sure that it would make manufacturing easier if the A/C to D/C converter as the PSU handled that, however, the plugs are different sized, which stops that concept. Due to different plug formats, the adapters will have to be for that specific region of electrical outlet format.
Reminds me about how my New Zealand friend was struggling to find a New Zealand adapter for a laptop he bought, as it came with an American one.
I don't think the physical shape of the socket is the issue.
It's easy to pick up a travel adapter that just changes the pin layouts,
when the psu is dual voltage (as are many laptop's psus).

It's more of problem to do the voltage conversion bit.
I do have a voltage transformer, but it is a heavy enough thing.

I have a mobile phone charger that is happy to take 110 or 220.
I hope the team adopt that approach. It should not need a beefy transformer
to charge this sort of device.

well, you can still charge through USB(as the others have said).

yeah, well ID10T, you need to be able to fit the prongs in the socket :p

The two adapters I linked to are very small, and weigh next to nothing. If I traveled a lot, I would just carry both instead of a heavy converter.

@Kloplop321
It's my understanding that it works via usb only.

mindlord said:
The Pandora chages via the mini USB port so you can charge it via any USB port on any computer or device that has powered USB. IF you need mains power It will likely work the same way that the Motorola Razor phones do.
Where did you get that information? I'm pretty sure it was announced that the Pandora would have a dedicated AC-in port. Besides, with the current limitations on USB, charging the Pandora's battery through USB would be a royal pain in the nether regions.

Seriously, no AC-in would be almost a deal-breaker for me.

Kloplop321 said:
That's not entirely true. I have a battery charger which has a 2 prong US plug, but it accepts both Euro and American voltages. It just requires a very cheap plug adapter (as opposed to a voltage adapter). And it's designed to sit flat to the wall, so it doesn't work quite so elegantly with the adapter on...

Also, most laptop power cords I've seen handle both voltages. They just have a cheaper two-prong to outlet cable you can switch out (or use the plug adapter as above).

Like this.

yeah, I see now, that plug seems to be able to be quite adaptable. I guess, then the transformer should have that, as it would be quite useful. but the plug that comes with it, will it be American standard or European standard prong type? or will both be available in the online shopping as an option?

Karel Jansens said:
Where did you get that information?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_(cons...#Specifications
USB 2.0 OTG port (480Mb/s) with capability to charge the Pandora

Craigx did say that they planned to include a charger, but never said that it would have a dedicated AC in of any kind. Which I took to imply that all charging would be done via the USB. I may be wrong.

I am not sure that charging via usb is as efficient (fast) as direct charging on
larger capacity batteries.
I think I read that most usb AA battery chargers take half a day.

Also, my hope is that I will be able to leave my laptop behind and use the
pandora to do all the basic tasks on a holiday --- so no usb charging from
a PC at those times.

Although openpandora.org links to it, somebody may have just slipped it in, as people like CraigX are not in control of it. I hope it is true :huh:

MWeston isn't on the Developer team, but I guess since he revealed the Bluetooth addition, it should be believable.

Kloplop321 said:
MWeston isn't on the Developer team, but I guess since he revealed the Bluetooth addition, it should be believable.
MWeston is the Pandora's hardware designer, fool.

Kloplop321 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's like saying Wozniak wasn't on the Apple dev team! LOLZ!!1

Well I didn't know. I even looked up on the open Pandora site and looked at the list on the blog page..

Kloplop321 said:
Well I didn't know. I even looked up on the open Pandora site and looked at the list on the blog page..
The 'M' in 'MWeston' stands for Michael.

Kloplop321 said:
Ahh, well NOW I know that. could have had (A.K.A. MWeston) next to it..
Considering all the contributions made by "MWeston" in his posts and on openpandora.ca, and seeing that you recently joined the forums and people who've been here longer told you he's part of the development team, I'd figure it'd be easy to figure out that "MWeston" is probably the "Michael" referred to on openpandora.org. The rest of us at least never had any trouble putting two and two together and knew it was MWeston :p

Back