Ubuntu On Pandora

'U.S.Soldier' said:
Kind of on topic aye?????
first off just hoping to see other OS's being able to be produced for the system would be great besides minesweeper.... and also this topic i stated was never about installing windows or any other dual OS if you track you will see. Now then seeing another OS wouldnt be bad heh. haha dont get ur panties in a bunch bro over a forum iam sure there is more important things to be worried about/ complaining about....
The point he's trying to make is that even if Windows or OS X would have an ARM port that would work on the pandora, there would be no software for it since everything is compiled x86.

In order for stuff to work, you would need the cooperation of the original developer(s), at which point you might as well compile it for the pandora's default OS anyway (with winelib).

Last edited by a moderator:
And what USS is trying to say is that, while Linux is getting better, OS X and Windows are also making improvements. At least that's what I'm getting from his posts. He keeps denying the desire to install them on the Pandora, I think it's just a tangential topic to the whole debate over whether Ubuntu is the "best" flavour of Linux.
He's making quasi-topic posts that have nothing to do with the Pandora and more to do with the direction the topic had been heading.

'U.S.Soldier' said:
Kind of on topic aye?????
first off just hoping to see other OS's being able to be produced for the system would be great besides minesweeper.... and also this topic i stated was never about installing windows or any other dual OS if you track you will see. Now then seeing another OS wouldnt be bad heh. haha dont get ur panties in a bunch bro over a forum iam sure there is more important things to be worried about/ complaining about....
:facepalm:

either you just don't get it (despite it being explained many times) or you're trolling at this point. Lemme break it down for you:

Desktop processors = x86 architecture
pandora processor = ARM archetecture
x86 != ARM
Windows/OSX = x86 Operating systems
Linux = x86 or ARM Operating system
Windows/OSX != ARM operating systems
Windows/OSX != Linux

Therefore Windows/OSX cannot run on the pandora & thus have no relevance in a thread titled 'Ubuntu on Pandora'.

If that isn't your point then you're either just pointing out the obvious or I'm just missing something. Of course OSX & Windows are 'getting better', they have huge companies behind them throwing millions of dollars at them, What do you expect?
(!= is does not equal, just in case)

'Consequence9' said:
beboper said:
Your a bloody idiot.
How... constructive.
who btw?

Good question... also, if you use "your" instead of "you`re", does that also make you a bloody idiot?
(In reference to beboper, not Consequence9. I can`t stand when someone criticizes another`s intelligent and fucks up in the process. It completely invalidates your authority on what is or is not an `idiot` when you can`t write a proper sentence.)

Please... Can we please stop ranting?
Who cares what's possible or not. I've included the Pandora in my wish-list of things to take to the moon, but that doesen't mean that it's possible for me to go there...
Ubuntu is great for people who are used to Windows. It's simple, it's easy and it's got a great community. So getting this for the Pandora would help people a lot, it's a comfortable gateway to the world of Linux.

I find it amusing that there are so many who argue against using Ubuntu because it's easier. Clearly everyone needs to suffer the pain of getting X to start on a 386 with a non standard graphics card in order to pass the test for membership in the Linux community. Thats so leet. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I mostly wanted to link this up.
http://www.workswithu.com/2009/03/18/ubunt...-game-consoles/

“The Ubuntu ARM distribution for desktops and netbooks will be officially available from April 2009.”

Thats us folks. Official ARM support from a major distribution. I know it will ship with Angstrom. Having this as an option is going to be very cool indeed though.

I know there has been a lot of effort on the Angstrom side and setting that up. To someone who is deep into the Linux community and environment, I'm sure it has efficiencies and advantages that can be listed long.

The fact is, I hadn't heard of Angstrom until I re-pre-ordered.

I'm using Ubuntu on 6 computers at home. I tried Redhat, Novell, Debian and a few others and Ubuntu was the -only- one that installed smoothly with sound, video and networking support on all 6 right out of the box with no fuss. I would bet there are other 'newbs' with similar experiences.

I'm not sure how many Pandoras Craig & Co. are planning to sell, but it strikes me that Ubuntu is a bit better known name and might draw a few more people.

* steps off the soap box and gives someone else the talking stick to subsequently bash him with.

Grench said:
I find it amusing that there are so many who argue against using Ubuntu because it's easier. Clearly everyone needs to suffer the pain of getting X to start on a 386 with a non standard graphics card in order to pass the test for membership in the Linux community. Thats so leet. :rolleyes:
No one is arguing that. I don't even think anyone has made any argument that being able to run Ubuntu is in any way bad. Being able to run anything you want (even Ubuntu, if you so choose) is good. We're (at least I am) arguing that running Ubuntu is unnecessary. We're not talking about an operating system that needs to be flexible enough to "just work" on pretty much whatever you throw at it. We know what the hardware is, we know what we need the system to do, we can tailor an OS specifically to those requirements. There's no need to run a catch-all OS that makes things easy because everything already will be easy. It's been designed pretty much from the ground up to be small and simple. The only thing Ubuntu adds is name recognition. Touting how great Ubuntu on ARM will be, implying how much better it is over Angstrom (despite objective arguments to the contrary) is like spitting on the work that has gone into making Angstrom already everything that you're hoping the Ubuntu ARM port will be.
And realistically, why should anyone care what the name of the OS is? Do you know the name of the OS that drives the DS? The PSP? The Wii? Or any other console for that matter? (The PS3 uses Cross Media Bar, don't know why I remember that).

Actually, I think there are a number of good points. It really all depends on how the development goes. I bought my Pandora as a general purpose, powerful PDA/Media Device that will also play great games. I carry my PSP every day but only rarely play a game on it. So if the devs neglect folks like me and non-game-fanatics, I will look at Ubuntu because like others, that is what I am used to and I know what I am getting. I can also expect their repositories to populate with the apps I need and use. So, it all depends, but more choices is what OS is all about so the more the merrier.

Let's make a Ubuntu theme for Angstrom.

lingenfr said:
So if the devs neglect folks like me and non-game-fanatics, I will look at Ubuntu because like others, that is what I am used to and I know what I am getting
The Angstrom ARM app repository is already full of a large collection of apps. The Ubuntu ARM repository is for all intents and purposes nonexistent.
Check the listings to see what should be available at launch (or within a reasonable time frame)
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/
If you are looking for something that isn't there, request it. Someone could port it, or suggest an alternative.

The default OS will run better and will be simpler (at the beginning at least) than Ubuntu. Enough said.

EDIT: WizardStan is right, there will be more apps and schtuff for the default OS.

the ubuntu arm repo is empty? did i miss something? they are talking of the full os released for arm which according to my understanding implies the whole ubuntu (and consequently debian) repo.
i remember that a year or so back some nokia employee built an arm cluster specifically to compile the complete repo (then he switched to cross-compiling on a second intel cluster).

if the ubuntu repo was empty then it would for sure be better to run angstrom, but i honestly expect it to be approximately as big as the debian armel - which is an order of magnitude larger than angstrom or any other 'embedded' distro.

edit: i checked the jaunty armel repo - it doesn't at all look empty to me.
http://ports.ubuntu.com/dists/jaunty/

Yeah, I just checked this morning as well. Apparently the folks at Canonical have been busy, getting almost everything in the basic Jaunty repo recompiled for ARM. Rest assured, this wasn't the case a few weeks ago, and especially not when the devs were deciding on which OS to use. Unless they knew something I didn't.
I still stand by the rest of my statements: you don't need Ubuntu, and Angstrom will serve you quite well. There is nothing wrong with being able to install Ubuntu on the Pandora, and if that's what you want to do, then I encourage it. I just wish people would stop touting it as the End-All-Be-All™ before they've even given the default OS a try.

Back