Ubuntu On Pandora

wiimario

Still Fresh
I'm a new member and i like andto know one thing: how can I run ubuntu on pandora? I know it's possible but i don't know how. please answer!!! : :pandora1: :) :pandora2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Instructions:

1. Get a Pandora.
2. Install Ubuntu on it.
3. Run Ubuntu on Pandora.

Given that 1. is impossible to all but a select few at the minute, giving detailed instructions on 2. is going to be difficult. You might want to wait until the Pandora is actually released before asking this sort of question, it's a bit premature now.

elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu

this is how it works on the beagleboard, I m doing that right now to do some real-hardware tests, angstrom is too complex right now. Lets hope that ubuntu comes with SGX support.

ok but for installing it I have to connect the pandora to a cd reader and install ubuntu from the CD, if yes how can i connect pandora to the CD reader?
If no how i can do that?

You can't just put in your Ubuntu CD into a CD rom and expect to install it on the Pandora.

Instead you will need a Pandora specific version (when one exists), which will most likely be a download from the web onto an SD card.

uhm.. no. Can't you just read what I have linked you to?
CD would work to proably but have fun finding an ARM ubuntu install CD (using an USB-CD Drive for example). You will be flashing / loading it from sd card or usb live media.
Do you even have to use ubuntu?

wiimario: IIRC You just need download and install Ubuntu on one of 2 SD cards. Anyway, you can attach external CD/DVD/whatever to Pandora's USB port, but you need appropriate driver installed. I guess that common external atapi over USB may be instant.

Most desktop/laptop computers have x86 (intel-compatible) CPUs. The pandora has an ARM CPU, like most cellphones, but way more powerful. You'd need Ubuntu ARM on an SD card, which will be available at some point.

However, it would be mostly pointless. The default OS will be as capable as Ubuntu ARM.

For foX: yes i've just use ubuntu, and i'm using it now because my pc isn't powerful, however thanks for the page i'll try it know , thanks a lot :D :D :D :D

... how can you try it without a Pandora?

Do you want to install the "Pandora-Ubuntu" on a PC or what? Because that won't work.
Please explain to us exactly what you want to do.

As fox said i install ubuntu on a sd card and the i put it in the pandora trying to install it, there is only one problem i don't understand how to do it because I don't how to work with the console so... if any angel can explain me what it's written here

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm confused. How are you intending to install Ubuntu on your Pandora when they haven't even started shipping yet?
To answer your question, how it's expected to work is that you download the Ubuntu-ARM package (made specifically for the Pandora), copy it onto an SD card, and you're done!

'wiimario' said:
As fox said i install ubuntu on a sd card and the i put it in the pandora trying to install it, there is only one problem i don't understand how to do it because I don't how to work with the console so... if any angel can explain me what it's written here
You're quite confused, aren't you?

When Ubuntu will be available for the pandora, all you'd have to do would be to copy it on an SD card, insert the card in the pandora and reboot it. It would run off the SD card. It would also be possible to install it on the NAND, but not advised.

Again, don't fret just yet. What do you want to do with the pandora that you think would require Ubuntu?

Is he actually trying this? This is pointless unless you already have a Pandora, which you don't, so you should really not try to install this on an SD card or whatever you're trying to do because it's not going to work.

Why bother, it's just the same shit in a different bag minus being tuned specifically for the pandora. It will be a downgrade. Get a nice brown theme for matchbox and you will probably be a whole lot happier.

To summarize:
1. Why install Ubuntu when you don't even have a Pandora?
2. Why install Ubuntu when we already have Ångström that can do whatever you want already (most probably)?

@Sphinxter I agree, fully. Ubuntu has nothing to offer that stands out from allt he other distros and has some very lacking software architecture. Not suited for much, really. But, better than Windows at least :p

Yeah Linux is great but lets not start on whats better either...... Every OS has its advantages and disadvantages. The new windows 7 beta works great also runs very very effectively, and it seems to be faster but much better code. So in time we will see if Windows can better itself and also Apple and Linux they just need to keep striving hooah

'dflemstr' said:
To summarize:
1. Why install Ubuntu when you don't even have a Pandora?
2. Why install Ubuntu when we already have Ångström that can do whatever you want already (most probably)?

@Sphinxter I agree, fully. Ubuntu has nothing to offer that stands out from allt he other distros and has some very lacking software architecture. Not suited for much, really. But, better than Windows at least :p
Someone can just as easily ask why buy a Pandora when you can buy a DS, PSP or iPhone. Some people have strong preferences for particular Linux distros or like to experiment with different OSes. When the Pandora is first released, Ångström will be a better choice than Ubuntu, but that might not always be the case. With the new ARM based netbooks coming out later this year, Ubuntu is stepping up work on the ARM version of the OS. A year from now, Ubuntu might be the preferred choice for Linux on the Pandora.

Back