Ubuntu On Pandora

lingenfr said:
Great, you will probably be on Zany Zebra by the time we get our Pandora's.
More like ZZ plural Z Alpha

Last edited by a moderator:
for those chanting "Ubuntu Ubuntu!"

might I just point out that even now a lot of skilled people haven`t got Ubuntu working fully with the aspire one, and thats with the same architecture, yes! Ubuntu is loaded with packages and cute ponies, but it`s also a complex beast with a whole metric ton of weird and custom stuff designed to support everything from netbooks to power desktops, you need a LOT of knowledge to prune that lot down to a more sane level for the Pandora, so much so that with that amount of knowledge it would be easier to make a custom distro.

if you must have the inevitable car analogy, its easier to make a sports car from parts than convert a cat D9 into a porsche :)

edit: gah! read up to page seven then posted, then find my comment invalidated on page 10 (note to self: read full thread before posting)

Svartalf said:
ashdjones said:
Couldn't you make Ubuntu PXML compliant?
There's certainly nothing keeping you from doing that- it's all in the launcher and the bit of magic that allows .pnd files look like directory structures when the system sees them. Once you've got that wired in, it's the same beast so long as the packaged stuff doesn't have off dependency issues. For that, you can package select .so's in the .pnd much like I've done for Caster for X86 Linux. I was going to see if there was a way to make a .pnd launcher tool for Beagle, Maemo, etc. so that I could provide one package for multiple OMAP3 targets for Caster and a few other projects in progress.

DEBs are VERY complex at times; just try to convert a DEB into a RPM (which has a significantly simpler structure inside it, but other cons of course) and you'll already have issues.
And since PNDs lack dependency information, you'll either have to distribute a whole Ubuntu Distribution in every PND or get dependency hell. Your choice.

Why did you raise a thread from April, about 7 months ago with a reply that really means nothing anymore?

That's a malicious strategy behind his post. He provokes a wall of nonsense posts following his nonsense post so that the thread gets locked and slips to the bottom of the board.

Muhahaha!

dflemstr said:
...which it would, anyways. Your theory is invalid.
It's not. It can't be resurrected any more when it's locked ;)

It surely could be RECREATED =X in case this one gets locked

Anyway, on the Chrome OS thread (I THINK), someone posted a link to benchmarks comparing Chrome OS, Ubuntu Netbook Remix and some other "light versions" of linux distros... UNR is the champion in almost every spec, from power consumption to speed on transfers.

I'm definetivelly using Ubuntu on my Pandora, whether as first or secondary OS ( can't just be blind to the point of not considering testing the built-in Ansgtron, which seems good enough). I'm just not sure whether I will be using the Ubuntu Netbook Remix or a compiled/adapted (for Pandora) Ubuntu 9.10 (which I have been testing, and is very nice)

Edit: just typos... my english still far from perfect, and I'm sorry for that =X

Wow, I have never seen this thread before and I thought it got up to 8 pages today!

Anyway, Ubuntu on ARM isn't quite there yet, I would give it a few more 6 months, at least wait until 10.4 comes out which is only 5 months away. Gentoo looks like it has the most up to date packages, but Ångström seems to be the most mature.

Other distros I haven't looked into but if I install anything other than Ångström I think I'll try Gentoo just because of the community. You ask a question on the Gentoo forums and it gets a reply in under 30 min. Ask a question on the Ubuntu forums and hope that it gets a answer before getting pushed down to page 3. Ubuntu is just too popular now, too many people using it and on top of that most of the users aren't knowledgeable about Linux in general. Gentoo on the other hand has far fewer users and most of them are very very knowledgeable about Linux. As a bonus after learning to use Gentoo you know more about Linux than 85% of Ubuntu users.

For a system like the Pandora, i.e. non x86, I think going Gentoo in the long run will be better just because it's going to be a learning curve no matter which distro you use.

Back