Two Interesting Ideas For Gp2x, Would This Work?

Emu&Co

Website
dreimer.de.vu
As you know GP2X has TV out. Now my idea. If the first working SNES Emu is out, would it be possible to add a second or even more Controllers on the EXT Port of the GP2X. Some tests with the GP32 were already made and it exists a Linux driver for SNES Controllers as far as I know and it supports up to 8 Controllers (Sure, a bit too much for SNES) on one Port. It would be great to play Mario Kart in Multiplayer, wouldn't it?

And next: Is it possible to add a external DVD drive to the GP2X per USB and active HUB? If yes could I run Video-DVDs on it? If yes on what resolution, because the LCD only has 320x240, but a TV would support more. Can the resolution of both Outputs be changed seperately? This would surely be great on other Apps, too.

Thanks for Help.

Too early to tell, but with a powered USB hub both could very well be possible.

The resolution on the GP2x can be easily changed, since it supports hardware scaling. So it is 320x240 on the screen and full dvd quality on the tv.

I cant see it being impossible but until someone gets hard of the hardware and actually starts trying it, we won't really know.

It all depends on how we an acces usb host and if we can load kernel modules.
Propably we have o wait till its out to know.

Eh, just get a 4GB SD card and put the VIDEO_TS folder on it. Of course you'll need to get a program to shrink down the DVD if it was a full 8GB movie, but that would be easier than hooking a dvd-rom to your GP2X. I've had some very good experiences with Xvid, there are movies I've gotten encoded in it that are as good as DVD's. I've never encoded myself, but I sure want to lean how to do it as well as the people that encoded those movies. Err, I don't support pirating movies.....

Thanx,
Stan

sure its easier to copy the whole dvd to the sd, but those 4GB are very expensive and i also have a small selfpowered usb DVD drive and no dvd player, would be cool to use it that way and for some also easier ;)

Ah, well, in that case it might be worth a try. I still would look into encoding into Xvid. I was thinking that GPH might have taken DVD playing capeabilities out of mplayer to save on space, if this is the case you might need to wait until someone ports it all over or ports xine. Also, is your dvd-rom linux compatible? I'm guessing if everything is in the kernel then it will be auto-recognised. You won't know until you try, but I'm sure there is a way if hardware permits it, Linux should be able to do what you want it to.

Thanx,
Stan

from what I could tell from the magic eye doco. You can only run the DVD decryption through a DVD player.

So you would have to have a Virtual DVD drive application running on the box as well as DVD movie as an image.

It'll be easier to to encode to xvid.

using the divx/xvid formats, you could fit 4-5 movies on a 1gb card which would look great on the gp2x's screen, or one movie for use through the tv out.

used the dvd drive in linux allready, but that was a 2.6 kernel, the gp2x uses 2.4.
So i will have to wait and see

If it worked under a 2.6 kernel I'm sure it will work in 2.4 kernel, so you don't need to worry about that. This month is going very slow, can't wait for the GP2X to see if all this stuff will work.

Thanx,
Stan

second exodous posted on Oct 7 2005 at 11:18 AM said:
If it worked under a 2.6 kernel I'm sure it will work in 2.4 kernel
:huh:
I don't know about that statement. . . I think the reciprocal is true; that anything that works under 2.4.x will work under 2.6.x; but because it's in the newer kernel, you can't just expect that it's in the older kernel.

I'm pretty sure full support for 802.11a/b/g were in 2.6, but not 2.4; and also ATAPI direct CD/DVD authoring. 2.4 still needed the ide-scsi mod (AFAIK).

Last edited by a moderator:
Something like this would be fun to get working with a powered USB-hub...

http://www.grand.com.tw/en/product_form.as...-005&lwk_page=1

penap9zo.jpg

Digital tv. :)

HEY thats my powerbook!

x6800 I highly dought we can fit 4-5 movies on a gig card, unless your standards for video are alot lower then me and you watch much shorter movies. I was thinking 2-3 movies, at about 500kbs

hm ... DVD-playback seems not possible for me ... at least in the first month. That's because the GP2X can not decode AC3 Sounds. DTS should be more expensively too, so i don not see any DVD-playback in the near future. Some nerds have to port/code a AC3 codec for our beloved GP2X.

reallynotnick posted on Oct 7 2005 at 11:22 PM said:
HEY thats my powerbook!

x6800 I highly dought we can fit 4-5 movies on a gig card, unless your standards for video are alot lower then me and you watch much shorter movies. I was thinking 2-3 movies, at about 500kbs
on a system with this kind of res, along with the screen size, 200mb per movie is more than adaquate.

Trust me, my standards are very high! Still use my Pioneer Elite Laserdisc player as a guide to good quality over dvd anyday :D

Last edited by a moderator:
what resolution were the laserdisc movies??

and i dont know...200mb for a 90minute video at 320x240 seems a little low? maybe 300-400mb per movie would be better. with xvid compression i mean.

i have plenty of movies encoded in the xvid format at around the 200mb mark, so i'll just see how they look when i get my hands on the gp2x, which should hopefully be soon as craig just lives a couple of miles away so i'll be down there in a flash as soon as i know he has received them.

ps. not sure what res laserdisc movies run at, maybe evildragon might know, but i find picture quality to be right up there with the best dvd's and sound quality always seems much better. Probably due to the lack of any compression on the discs, unlike dvd.

Back