Tv Out

1magus

What happens when a screen of a 5:3 Aspect Ratio goes on a 16:9 HDTV? I was just wondering cause I don't really know what 5:3 is?

What happens is one of three scenarios:

1) You get a black border on the left and right of the screen
2) You lose the top and bottom bit as the sides are expanded to fit and keep same aspect ratio
3) The image is a bit horizontally stretched

5:3 is effectively 15:9 (you just multiply up...) - 16:9 (or 4:3) is ratio of length to height, or 16 across to 9 up. 15:9 is less 'wide' than 16:9, so as the previous poster mentioned, you're gonna get black bars on either side of the screen, filling in the missing '1' of information. You can stretch it using the settings on your (tv) screen, but I'm a purist at heart... ;-)

umm, dumb question, but why not enable the user to pick the TV-Out resolution that fits their screen on the Pandora itself?

Nilsiboy said:
umm, dumb question, but why not enable the user to pick the TV-Out resolution that fits their screen on the Pandora itself?
Like, when TV out is enabled, set the display resolution to 852x480 which is the standard 480i/p size? I think it is a good idea, but there might be a few problems associated with doing that. For instance, I think a lot of the console games are developed with a specific resolution in mind; on the other hand, PC games tend to be developed for varied screen sizes and are meant to be flexible in that area. Also, there may be limitations as to what resolution can be used with the TV out chip.

I think it would be nice if the Pandora's TV out included black bars on the side or top depending on whether the image is going to be displayed on a 16:9 or 4:3 TV, respectively. Because, most analog TVs only have settings for 16:9 or 4:3 images, and digital TVs will not be able to detect the resolution (and proper aspect ratio) over S-Video, so they will also assume the image is either 16:9 or 4:3 format.

Last edited by a moderator:
donny662 said:
I think it would be nice if the Pandora's TV out included black bars on the side or top depending on whether the image is going to be displayed on a 16:9 or 4:3 TV, respectively. Because, most analog TVs only have settings for 16:9 or 4:3 images, and digital TVs will not be able to detect the resolution (and proper aspect ratio) over S-Video, so they will also assume the image is either 16:9 or 4:3 format.
We get 480i and 576i. So we use 480i for widescreen tv's, and switch to 576i and center the picture with black bars for non wide? If we're lucky that might give us relatively decent aspect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back