Tv-out Problems...

cobrajs

Still Fresh
Hello everyone! I am relatively new to the GP2X world (I recieved mine about three weeks ago) and I have a few questions.

1) My main question: I got the TV-Out cable, and I hooked my GP2X up to the TV. Of course, it worked the first time. However, I discovered that it only works if I hold the cable in one position: if it moves down too much, the screen gets garbled. Is this normal? If not, could it be that a joint inside was not solder good enough?

2) Anyword on when the next firmware release is? I keep having wierd issues with the music player, like sometimes songs will not play, and sometimes they play a little bit fast.

3) About a USB cable: is there anywhere that I can get an EXT port compatible connection? Also, (new to electronics too) when the schematics say to ground the wires, what exactly does that mean? Do I literaly have to ground them?

Even with these minor problems, this thing is the best! The biggest thing that I get annoyed with it, however, is when someone comes up and says, "Oh sweet! You got a PSP!" ;)

1) This is common due to poor manufacture. You should be able to get a satisfactory fix however, by attaching a piece of 3x5 card to the head of the cable where it goes into the gp2x. The link below has more detailed instructions and pictures, though I skipped the step of filing it down and it still works very well for me.

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,23,1255

That is easy enough. I was hoping it was the cable and not the GP2X. I guess I can start looking into building a USB cable now.

Vimacs: I got everything from GP32z.com, before they shut down.

well, easiest would be to get one from gp2x.co.uk or gp2x.de, they only sell the good ones.
You could also buy vectar wile you are on it :)

Or just wait for the cased bob.

naples39 posted on Aug 8 2006 at 07:31 AM said:
1) This is common due to poor manufacture. You should be able to get a satisfactory fix however, by attaching a piece of 3x5 card to the head of the cable where it goes into the gp2x. The link below has more detailed instructions and pictures, though I skipped the step of filing it down and it still works very well for me.

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,23,1255
Yes, it looks like you can skip the filing step.

Vimacs posted on Aug 8 2006 at 08:36 AM said:
well, easiest would be to get one from gp2x.co.uk or gp2x.de, they only sell the good ones.
You could also buy vectar wile you are on it :)

Or just wait for the cased bob.
Cased BoB will be pure crap. Don't waste money on it unless you have no choice.

In answer to question 3 you just need to make all the grounds on the same wire, I personally used pin number 24 for ground when I built my USB adaptor.

An option if you want a nice set-up is a pre-made "USB Host termination" Integrated circuit sold at places like mouser.com and digikey.com, I looked into it and they are like a few pennies (but in quantities of 4,000 You should be able to find a place selling them for under $2 though.)

I use a Samsung e810 Cellphone data cable to serial (RS-232, NOT USB), they can be found on ebay or surplus web shops, ETC. The Samsung cable is great because it has a printed circuit board to solder too, also pin 24 is traced out to a solder pad, but you need to cut the trace that goes to the wrong pin.

I also think that some LG phones have the right connector, but am unsure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back