tv-out low volume?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Anyone had a problem where with some tv's, the tv-out volume is very low? ie: crank up the volume wheel and max volume is still pretty low. Pretty unusual for a pandora to have a small voice :)

I'm in baby hell right now, so not had time to dig into it; could just be the apps I've tried have low volume, or perhaps I need to dig into the audio settings, but I wondered .. anyone seen something along these lines? a well known fix, to save me looking? (I'm short on time lately .. )

jeff

yea that was only thing i have really tryed only really have to turn up my tv like 15 more vol.

yeah, thought about that, but sort of a drag; headphone Y cable to RCA; probably have something around somewhere :p

Going to be a long night .. baby is waking up every 10 mins or so, and trying real hard to wake up the other one.. kill me now..

jeff

I'm in baby hell right now, so not had time to dig into it; could just be the apps I've tried have low volume, or perhaps I need to dig into the audio settings, but I wondered .. anyone seen something along these lines? a well known fix, to save me looking? (I'm short on time lately .. )

Same problem here. It's like there is no amplification of the sound at all through the Tv-out. Design issue or software issue? I'm not sure. But it is clearly a problem for a good tv-out experience, and the fix proposed (jack to TV) is not a very practical one.

The TV line out isn't controlled by the volume wheel, I believe it's just a direct line out from the preamplifier.

It's fine with my surround sound system.. but maybe some regular TV amplifiers can't boost it enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, running a Y-splitter off the headphone jack works fine; sub-optimal but fine. I'll look into it when I get a minute maybe, see if theres somethign we can do on software, but yeah sure seems like theres an amp missing somewhere :)

Was funking around with an r-pi as a streaming video server with XBMC, but I might just see if the pandy can do the task .. wifi bandwidth isn't so strong or reliable especially for an smbmount reading video; but maybe if I pick up an ethernet usb adapter on the cheap, and maybe get some streaming video app going (dlna style) might be slick; or maybe sebt3's xbmc has dlna enabled...

jeff

No you can't do anything in software, MWeston designed it like that. Except maybe ALSA software volume control ED added.

No you can't do anything in software, MWeston designed it like that. Except maybe ALSA software volume control ED added.

A simple question, but what was the rationale to make the TV-out like that without amplification?

Because typically line-outs are ran to amplifiers and generally the amplifiers in a TV or Home Theater system should be able to handle it. Also the audio out on all the game systems out there are generally setup in the same way as the Pandora line out..

Last edited by a moderator:
Are other game systems having issues with this TV?

Perhaps it could be an issue with the cable.. a bit of resistance or something..

Another case of 'no standard, just common practice' ...

My one TV works no problem with pandora tv-out, audio is fine; another TV someone just gave me (woot!) is a great machine, but I crank it to max audio and barely hear a whisper :/

Sometimes you win, sometimes you get oatmeal :)

jeff

Back