Tv-out... How Does It Work?

DanSolo

Still Fresh
While buying a carry case from Play Asia I decided to get a TV Out cable. Is there any known device that I can plug this into? Can it be converted to the bog standard aerial socket somehow?
Thanks.

DanSolo posted on Feb 20 2007 at 11:07 AM said:
While buying a carry case from Play Asia I decided to get a TV Out cable. Is there any known device that I can plug this into? Can it be converted to the bog standard aerial socket somehow?
Thanks.

No. It has an SVIDEO connector on it. And for some bizarre, unfathomable reason, it's got a male connector. This means you'll need both an SVIDEO cable and a gender bender to get it to work. Someone in the design department was high the day they built it.

Personally I never use mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheFr00n posted on Feb 20 2007 at 12:44 PM said:
No. It has an SVIDEO connector on it. And for some bizarre, unfathomable reason, it's got a male connector. This means you'll need both an SVIDEO cable and a gender bender to get it to work. Someone in the design department was high the day they built it.

Personally I never use mine.

Just as well it was cheap as sh1t then. You'd think there's be a market for this type of thing, but GPH must know better than we do! I was also hoping to avoid using a powered converter to do this.

Samba Pa Ti posted on Feb 20 2007 at 01:36 PM said:
you can convert it to scart if you want, i thought you wanted to make it an RF signal

http://www.gp2x.de/shop/product_info.php?p...iu1j534t882dl73

that or similar (lots of them about) will convert to rca/phono which can be plugged into the tv directly or a scart
I was looking for an "F-type" connector, but they don't seem to exist. Maybe the TV I'm trying to plug into is just too old!

Samba Pa Ti posted on Feb 20 2007 at 02:54 PM said:
thats just a coaxial connector, its impossible to connect svideo/scart signals to RF without a modulator
Ouch, it's pretty useless then. Straight to the bin.
Unless there's a cheap SCART adaptor? My DVD player will take that. But it would still be the wrong gender plugs I guess.

DanSolo posted on Feb 20 2007 at 05:08 PM said:
Ouch at it's pretty useless then. Straight to the bin.
Unless there's a cheap SCART adaptor? My DVD player will take that. But it would still be the wrong gender plugs I guess.
You need a RF modulator like this one, and a S Video extension cord.
Guaranteed to work.

More searching...

This SCART to S-Video on ebay is cheap...
Item number: 230090645023

And then I could you a male-male (or is it female-female) converter...
Item number: 150093891695

That'd be about £15.00 for the lot.

DanSolo posted on Feb 20 2007 at 09:10 AM said:
More searching...

IF your TV/Video device supports S-Video over Scart, it is NOT part of the standard and doesn't have to be supported, it is being offered on newer sets as a convenience.

You need a newer TV if it only has an F-connector. If it has SCART you are still good, but you need to use a composite (red/white and yellow) to SCART adapter and get a S-Video to Composite adapter, it is a 10 uf capacitor across the s-video lines tied right to a Composite plug. http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Image:Bob_video.png this is a diagram of the circuit.

All you need to do as far as I know is connect the cord to the proper SCART pins and you will have an adapter.

Yes the prices are crap. I buy cables at monoprice.com now and if they will ship to you it is the cheapest and high quality cords I know of. $30 (roughly 15 pounds) for 25' of VGA / Component / and S-Video with stereo. That included the shipping!! Shorter wires are even cheaper.

Looks like they ship international, with the export laws, I don't see how a simple cable would be banned.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product....at=2&style=

This is what you want, and then a cheap A/V to scart panel.

DanSolo posted on Feb 20 2007 at 06:10 PM said:
More searching...

Sorry i don´t understand.
Does your TV have a scart input? then you simply need a S-Video to scart Adaptor like this, a S-Video extension(!) cord and a common chinch cable, in case you don´t have one anyway.

The first item you listed above would also work, but you´d need an additional S-Video extension adaptor like this one.
If your TV doesn´t have Scart, you need the RF modulator i posted earlier.

Fishbong posted on Feb 21 2007 at 11:35 AM said:
Does your TV have a scart input? then you simply need a S-Video to scart Adaptor like this, a S-Video extension(!) cord and a common chinch cable, in case you don´t have one anyway.

Is this an S-video extension cord?
http://www.digi-doc.com/products/products-...=7&pageno=1

And what is a common chinch cable? A Google gives me hundreds of types.
This is hurting my little brain.

DanSolo posted on Feb 22 2007 at 01:10 PM said:
Fishbong posted on Feb 21 2007 at 11:35 AM said:

Is this an S-video extension cord?
http://www.digi-doc.com/products/products-...=7&pageno=1

And what is a common chinch cable? A Google gives me hundreds of types.
This is hurting my little brain.
This is a Chinch cable:
4586.jpg

Dont´t tell me you don´t have already dozends of them.

And you need a Svideo extension cable, one side male the other female.

I have no clue what craigx means with "ALL female", but he is confusing lots of things lately, like "processor that can run at 266 MHz if overclocked" for "266 MHz processor".

according to this site the gp2x TV out adapter is female

http://gp2x.co.uk/gp2xtvout.html

"Connections are all female. You can use any series of adaptors to get Scart/AV/Svideo."

i use the 4th one down to get a phono connection

http://www.revealcable.co.uk/acatalog/SvideoAdapters.html

thats the connections on the tvout (all female apart from the ext, but thats not the end that matters)

meepr.JPG

here are the adapters female one on the left, Male one on the right (need a male for the gp2x tv out) they have phono/rca connectors on the other side

rawr.JPG

hi guys i have the tv out plus all the leads two scart but my pic on the tv is not to good just playable and why is the tv out so short i had to get more leads to make it longer, cant play the gp2x at the back of the tv :)

Back