Try porting Cube 2/Sauerbraten

MrLemonyFresh

The game that comes with it is Sauerbraten, a fast game with an old school feel to it. I can't say that much for the single player, but the multiplayer is great and for me, the ping is always perfect.
It has some pretty nice rendering capabilities with some good looking shaders. My favorite thing with this game is being able to use a special method of sculpting 'cubes' which is made possible through of the use of Octrees which make up the maps. You can building an manipulate a level while you play it. This is called 'edit coop'. There are several other types of games and weapons and such which are made up from other popular games like unreal, but you can find out for yourself if you give it a play ;P.

-open source
-free
-already working on linux, so i suppose porting to the pandora shouldn't be a hastle
-nice graphics (for it's low video requirements)
-good potential
-good fun

I'd really like to see this ported to the pandora. as far as i know, the video requirements are around a minimum of 64mb video ram. if your not sure, just give it a go, it's free after all.

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifx7yUmz-n0

Official site:
http://www.cubeengine.com/index.php4

Cube 2 is a quake 2 modified engine.
Er, no. Cube is made from scratch, and Cube 2 is based on that. If Cube/Cube 2 were based on any of the Quake engines, they would have to be released under the GPL.

In any case, Cube 2 is pretty sweet technically (I love the octree system), but art/design-wise it is, quite frankly, ass. The announcer's voice and game music are probably the worst things I have ever heard, the official map/texture/character/weapon design is generic at best, and the ingame map editing, the thing that is supposed to make the game shine, is confusing and very unintuitive (which is a shame, because it looks fun if you know what you're doing).

I'd congratulate anyone who ports this game and I'd try it out myself, but I probably wouldn't play it for more than 5 minutes.

Er, no. Cube is made from scratch, and Cube 2 is based on that. If Cube/Cube 2 were based on any of the Quake engines, they would have to be released under the GPL.

i really don't care, I'm just going on what info was given to me.
is confusing and very unintuitive (which is a shame, because it looks fun if you know what you're doing).

well thats one opinion. It took me a few minutes to get it when i looked at the command list on the help section of the site.

after that it's a breeze, i made a tower with all kinds of rooms and staircases in around half an hour.

but art/design-wise it is, quite frankly, ass. The announcer's voice and game music are probably the worst things I have ever heard, the official map/texture/character/weapon design is generic at best

That's where the developers come in... For example, I'm a graphic artist: I would open up blender and make better characters, guns, items, mobs, etc... Then open up GIMP and make some textures, such as grass, bricks, cement, etc... And finally open up Cube2's map editor and make some better maps... Because it is an open source game engine, they released it so people would make their own games with it... So that means, don't judge the book by it's cover ;) because you have the right to change everything. (for example, halo remake, half-life remake, quake remake, doom remake, unreal tournament remake, counter-strike remake etc etc.)

steelxenon said:
but art/design-wise it is, quite frankly, ass. The announcer's voice and game music are probably the worst things I have ever heard, the official map/texture/character/weapon design is generic at best

That's where the developers come in... For example, I'm a graphic artist: I would open up blender and make better characters, guns, items, mobs, etc... Then open up GIMP and make some textures, such as grass, bricks, cement, etc... And finally open up Cube2's map editor and make some better maps... Because it is an open source game engine, they released it so people would make their own games with it... So that means, don't judge the book by it's cover ;) because you have the right to change everything. (for example, halo remake, half-life remake, quake remake, doom remake, unreal tournament remake, counter-strike remake etc etc.)

Haha, okay. When should we expect this graphical remake? :lol:

I'm not criticizing what the game could be, I'm criticizing what it is. When you do your magic in Blender and GIMP, I'll be happy to give another review. :wink:

i really don't care, I'm just going on what info was given to me.
You don't care about the game, but you expect other people to care enough about it to port it?

Have you guys tried the Trooper Edition, a recent release, or any of the others? They did alot of work, and I believe the graphics are quite good, compared to what they could be. And like the last guy said, you CAN upgrade them if you want.

You don't care about the game, but you expect other people to care enough about it to port it?

absolutely not, you've taken my words and made up your own context. I think this game and great, the art is constantly being worked on, the voice over has been majorly improved since when you played it, and they're are thrice as many players and servers, so you can expect constant action. The reason i gave everyone the wrong information, is because someone who has been giving me trustworthy information up until now has got it wrong. In other words, it's not my fault (and i don't care because it's not my mistake) , and yes i expect someone will port it, if they realize that it's worth porting.

I'm a graphic artist:

and so am I :p so, Skofo, try and see through the eyes of those people who could take advantage of a no-nonsense and code free interface as many other people enjoy it and there is a growing mapping scene for it. I usually use QuArK for mapping, but it does get to be a bit of a drag, tying up loose ends, making sure everything is snapped to grid etc. And that's just the plain old alpha map to get the game play aspect right. The editor for this game is quite a lot more fun to play with and we've seen some really good maps coming out of it. I'm not saying the average map editor is bad, in fact it has a lot more than the cube 2 editor, but i found the cube 2 editor very easy to get into, and so do a lot of other people. Even a twelve year old girl i encountered in Co-op edit. So obviously it can't be as hard as you express it to be.

Back