Triple Triad Possible?

there is no hurry for your deck subin - decks can be added at any time by the player themself. i flatter myself to think that maybe one day i will have a website with a collection of decks on it for people to pick and choose from and add to. You have no deadline for your deck :)

anyway i been a bit lazy again - theres been all sorts of stuff going on. yah yah one excuse after another innit >>; i will come clean and confess that some of the time when i could of been working on ttx i was actually playing ragnarok online instead but hey, im allowed recreation right? XD

anyway shush because its 6am now and i have been working on ttx most of the night :p Shop code nearly finished. I expanded the script function repitoire so you can script shop data in npc's instead of just static shops (which means i could say, for example, have one npc with a shop with nice stuff in it but he wont sell to you until you have got an item off another npc and given it to him or until you have talked to his mate to get recommended or whatever) which is nice and shops are totally in the engine now, im just working on actually displaying them.

i have the window interface for the shops all laid out and being drawn to the screen, i just need to add the items into the windows and allow you to select them for purchessing now.

then i will make the front end menu for the game and then i will release a 1-map beta. when i release that beta i will make a new thread for it somewhere more obvious on this forum, but will link to it here :)
anyway im not dead and im getting there! stay tuned.

Cool, thanks for the status update. :p
So getting into TT again, bet the CC club in balamb again, and registered on ttadvance. :)

quick question to the general populace:

anyone foresee or have any requests for commands they would like to see in the script engine? for npcs?
ie, if you were making a mini-mod and creating a few scripted npc's using the lua scripting language, what sort of commands would you like at your disposal? for example there is already TTX_NpcSetChat(string) and TTX_SetVarInt(id, val) etc. just incase i havnt thought of something that perspective scripters might like :)

Sephnroth posted on Apr 9 2006 at 08:18 PM said:
quick question to the general populace:

anyone foresee or have any requests for commands they would like to see in the script engine? for npcs?
ie, if you were making a mini-mod and creating a few scripted npc's using the lua scripting language, what sort of commands would you like at your disposal? for example there is already TTX_NpcSetChat(string) and TTX_SetVarInt(id, val) etc. just incase i havnt thought of something that perspective scripters might like :)

In my last couple games with scripting I got a surprising amount of mileage out of the ability to move, check tiles (for solidity as well as what tile number was present) and modify tiles.

You could string something like that together into:
1. Check if door x,y is open
2. If not, walk toward it and change the tile to "open door"

Last edited by a moderator:
addings commands to let you move npc's about is np and will definatly be done :) The current command list looks something like this:

void TTX_SetInt(const char *szId, int v);
void TTX_SetBool(const char *szId, bool v);
void TTX_SetString(const char *szId, const char *v);
void TTX_DeleteVar(const char *szId);
int TTX_GetInt(const char *szId);
bool TTX_GetBool(const char *szId);
const char* TTX_GetString(const char *szId);

void TTX_SetNpcDirection(int id, unsigned char d);
int TTX_GetNpcIdByName(const char *szName);
int TTX_SetNpcName(int nNpc, const char *szName);
int TTX_PositionNpc(int nNpc, int nX, int nY);
bool TTX_SetNpcTriad(int nNpc, bool bValue);
bool TTX_SetNpcTalk(int nNpc, bool bValue);
int TTX_AddNpcIntroLine(int nNpc, const char *szText);
int TTX_AddNpcTalkLine(int nNpc, const char *szText);
int TTX_GetTotalNpcCount();
int TTX_GetNpcPositionX(int id);
int TTX_GetNpcPositionY(int id);
int TTX_GetNpcDirection(int id);
void TTX_ClearNpcIntroText(int id);
void TTX_ClearNpcTalkText(int id);
void TTX_SetNpcSprite(int id, const char *szSprite);
void TTX_SetNpcShopStatus(int id, bool bActive, bool bSellCards, bool bSellBoards, bool bSellBackgrounds);
void TTX_SetNpcShopText(int id, char szName[256], char szMessage[512]);

that is obviously the c++ counterparts but the LUA commands take the same names. Will be adding commands to move an npc to another tile and also commands to put an item in your inventory, take an item, check if an item (and how many) exist in inventory, give cash, take cash, check cash amount, etc. Anything else people would like to see?

and a brief screenshot of how the shop looks atm:

http://81.86.111.121:8080/code/ttx/shopearly2.jpg

theres some issues with the bitmap font and some letters where it cuts up off which i need to fix :x also it isnt returning the proper width of some strings so not all the details on the right there are aligned properly, but i think thats the same problem as it cutting off some of the letter parts so fix one and hopfully fix the other.

still very early, should look nicer when done :p Also the screenshot wont always be viewable, its on my pc and im about to go out, if someone turns off my pc then goodbye apache xD or if I do it myself. But it should be up long enough for most of ya to catch a peek, its just proof im still working away ;)

sorry for the double post, but im ready for another small update and no one else replied yet so pfft :p

shop now fully functional. you can go in, buy some cards (if you can afford them), leave the shop and go play a game of triad with another npc using the cards you bought.

shop looks like this:

screenshot of shop

and now im going to take a break ^.^

EDIT:

decided 3 posts in a row would be too much so edited this time :p

hooray, you can now buy new game boards from the shop

http://81.86.111.121:8080/code/ttx/shopearly4.jpg

although the only board I have atm is classic, the rest are just random files I pushed in to test the whole thing >.>;;;;;;

and incidently, the blue gradient you see in all the gui from the shop to the npc chat boxes and the npc option menu is customisiable, the two colours used for the gradient are stored in variables so you will be able to set your own two colours from the options menu to get a gui colour that you like.

well working on the main menu system, its not great but is it good enough?

http://81.86.111.121:8080/code/ttx/wip04.jpg

that picture on the left (white line art) is something i just drew up with a mouse, some random girl holding a card. but, anyone can put an image file in the Menu Art folder and every time you change menu screens it picks a random image from that folder - so you can add your own easy as pie ^^;;

Thanks Drak :)

The girl was a quick job. Maybe I will colour her and make her final art, but its more likely i will just rope in a few of my friends to churn out as many pictures as i can squeese out of them :p

Okay!

really, the menu is finished now. you can change settings, customise the gui and create a new game. you cant actually -start- the game yet but thats simply because doing that right now would require a dirty hack - instead it can just wait until i wrote some simple functions for profiling handling and saving to disk. Basically, *all* it needs to do is write your name and sprite to a file for you to load later along with basic save data. Only reason i havnt knocked it up quickly yet is so i can stop and think about the fileformat to make sure it will take everything that needs to be stored in it later on - not hard but always worth a moment or two to think about to save pains later on.

anyywayy:

http://81.86.111.121:8080/code/ttx/wip05.jpg

customise gui - preview on the left there. effects all in game dialogs.

http://81.86.111.121:8080/code/ttx/wip07.jpg

adjust volume of sound and music :D of which there is none yet. but NoName from the irc channel has offered to knock up some music for the game over the weekend so big thanks and fingers crossed for that!

http://81.86.111.121:8080/code/ttx/wip06.jpg

start a new game. The name selector is, in my humble opinion, a mini work of art in how it works internally, really quite pleased with it. but its nothing the end-user will ever know about and i wont bore you with explinations xD But surfice to say you press A to start editing, left and right to change which character you are editing (current one is highlighted blue) and up and down cycles the letters. A to finish editing.

You can select your player sprite from any of the ones in the correct image folder, left and right cycles - the little preview is constantly playing the walking animation and changes direction every 1 second so you can see how they look from all angles - looks pretty cool when going in real time actually :p

anyway thats that. Now to write the profile system, then i have two known bugs to fix (gonna be tons i dont know about i expect, but thats what betas are for!) and a lil tweaking to do in game and your beta is ready. If i dont get lazy then.. within the week. But no promises! never any promises.

Still alive...
but still, I miss 8 more images...

I wonder if anyone knows how to write GIMP scripts so it would be less of a hassle to add the corresponding numbers afterwards, thi would be a lot of work to do manually, any help appreciated (also in finding the last 8 cards/ images well suited to make cards of, WoW themed).

If anyone wants to check out the stuff I have done so far I would just zip it up and upload it somewhere.

I've done all necessary numbers/borders/backgrounds/element icons as well as 102 cards, most stuff is is .png or, especially the images where the cards will be made of, in GIMP's, .xcf format.

afraid i know nothing about gimp scripts :(

glad you are looking forward to it sliteist :)

theres not alot of progress to report unless you like the fact there is now a linux source chain and ttx is working happily from linux

http://81.86.111.121:8080/code/ttx/ttxnix.jpg

i'm trying to fix the bug in the tile renderer but its being a complete sod. i've spent so long on this one bug >< its tempting to cheat and diasable diagonal movement as that is what causes it, but i'll keep at it - gonna get this fixed ><

fixed! mith made a suggestion over irc which prooved to be exactally on the right track and after creating a little -1/+1 modifier for horizontal refreshes when vertical ones are queued all the tile map problems went away!!!

Apart from a slight bug in the bitmap font loader that shaves a pixel or two off some characters the engine is now, to my knowledge, bug free. of course a real world test is going to dig up some more, thats what betas are for, but thats all the ones i know of now out the way :)

i'll spend a little time tidying up and make a more interesting map for you guys to play on (2 test npcs to talk to will not be very captivating) and then release a beta :)

Back