Touchscreen? What For?

Not really related, but:
Insane Multi-Touch demo + super precision + a hell of a lot more ON A RESISTIVE SCREEN!
CODE
http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/19/stantums-mind-blowing-multitouch-interface-on-video/1#c17205841

No, this isn't that fake "guess where the fingers are" based around where the middle of the two is.
It is truly amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:
'Thunder' said:
Not really related, but:
Insane Multi-Touch demo + super precision + a hell of a lot more ON A RESISTIVE SCREEN!
CODE
http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/19/stantums-mind-blowing-multitouch-interface-on-video/1#c17205841

No, this isn't that fake "guess where the fingers are" based around where the middle of the two is.
It is truly amazing!
ooh i just came here to link that! pipped to the post! it certainly sounds interesting and i imagine it should work on the panda. would be interesting to see what that would mean for some new touchscreen game ideas too.

i guess the mostly likely difficulty is likely to be licencing cost and as the pandora team (as far as i am aware) arent going to be licencing for the use of any more technology, it might be something we have to hack around with for ourselves.

I don't think it'll run on the Pandora, they said that allthough it's mainly software based, it won't work on already existing resistive screens, they do already have these babies licensed to multiple manufacterers and are already in production.

BTW, it's a 4.3' screen running on OMAP3something so this will probably work on Pandora, all they need to do is redesign the screen.

aah bugger. i was watching at work without sound. thats a shame. still, maybe someone will hack it somehow. would be sweeeet though.

looking at this again is quite interesting actually, at least on the pressure side of things. it sounds like it judges pressure on the amount of surface of the finger it detects in contact with the screen, i.e. the harder you press the great the amount of skin presses against the touch screen. i doubt therefore it would work with "pressure" using a stylus or paint brush. still it is an impressive use of the technology.

? The demo showed both stylus and paint brush used.. to very impressive effect.

nono, dont get me wrong, it works with any object but i am saying that it wouldnt detect pressure with a stylus or paintbrush because the mechanism used to detect pressure is based more on finger surface area spread. he says around 20 seconds in on the first video that "it depends on the area of the finger on the screen"

haha you could sell your enthusiasm like crack! i'd totally buy some

'Chock' said:
The touchscreen is used by the Pandora so that it (she?) knows when you cleaned the screen and took care of it (her?).

Chock
Pandoramagotchi.
Somebody should definitely make an app out of that idea! :eek:

Back