Touch Screen

fischju2000
11h8j9s.jpg

you are wrong, I think. This illustration is maybe correct about the resolution, but not about the size:
4,3" vs 2x3".

fischju2000 said:
This is going rather off topic, but I must add this
11h8j9s.jpg

Pandora with 1:1 DS screens

You're joking, aren't you? Can't you tell what's wrong with that picture just by looking at it?!

Last edited by a moderator:
fischju2000 said:
Consequence9 said:
God Ginrai said:
krooked said:
twice ds emulation has been mentioned as a possibility, i thought it was completely ruled out.
and yes, i use my laptop right click ALOT, maybe its since i dont like removing my fingers from what theyre doing and finding the keyboard shortcuts, which is sort of what i was going for with the idea of a stylus with interactivity.
The DS is not a very complex or highly intensive system. The thing is, if we ever were to get DS emulation on the Pandora, it would probably have to be coded from scratch.

-God Ginrai

I just figured the biggest issue with DS emulation was screen size & placement. It would be hard to find a good placement for games that use both the touch screen and standard controls, although a combination of different settings could be used. For games that do not heavily use touch, or use the bottom screen for little else than a map, a sort of picture-in-picture setup could be used. For games that are primarily touch based and use the standard controls very little, the pandora could be held in a book-mode & the emulated screens could be stacked. Maybe side by side would be possible as well if both screens were scaled down, which would work, but it would kinda suck at the same time. *shrug* just some ideas if anyone decides to take this on, but personally I would love to see DS emulation.

This is going rather off topic, but I must add this
11h8j9s.jpg

Pandora with 1:1 DS screens
Screen size and placement isn't the largest concern at all - there is an open source emulator with the compatability of just a couple dozen games, while the very compatible no$gba isn't on linux and the newest version costs $2.50. They both require a lot of cpu power.

yah dude, thats definitely wrong. That may be right resolution-wise, but you're totally off size-wise.
The DS has:
Screens: Two separate 3-inch TFT LCD, resolution of 256 x 192 pixels, dimensions of 62 x 46 mm and 77 mm diagonal

& the pandora has a 4.3 inch screen (diagonal), so the top & bottom of the ds screens would be cut off if they were arranged as you have them.

It would be cool if someone quoted that picture again.

[edit] Actually, assuming the resolution is correct, there's nothing wrong with the picture. The physical size of the DS screen vs Pandora screen is irrelevant, because the DPI is different. The same reason the 800x480 image on your computer screen is much bigger than it will be on Pandora. Same resolution, different DPI. Dimensions irrelevant. Picture correct.

Consequence9, Pleng & kukacster, you seem to missing the point, i.e. both DS screens will easily fit on the Pandora's screen at 1:1 resolution, albeit smaller. I've just had a look on my N800 (same screen size & resolution), and though the screens are small, the text is still easily readable.

Going slightly more back on topic, one thing that is a bit annoying whilst surfing the net on the N800 is that you can't trigger roll-overs with the stylus, which means you can't access some menus on some websites. It would be nice if you could hold down a button on Pandora that would allow you to use the stylus to simulate just moving the cursor around the screen, rather than clicking or dragging. Or you could use the analogue sticks.

Gruso said:
It would be cool if someone quoted that picture again.
Fixed that for you :)

kukacster said:
11h8j9s.jpg

Gruso said:
[edit] Actually, assuming the resolution is correct, there's nothing wrong with the picture. The physical size of the DS screen vs Pandora screen is irrelevant, because the DPI is different. The same reason the 800x480 image on your computer screen is much bigger than it will be on Pandora. Same resolution, different DPI. Dimensions irrelevant. Picture correct.

Agree.

that made my most point-less post for years :)

Gruso said:
Actually, assuming the resolution is correct, there's nothing wrong with the picture. The physical size of the DS screen vs Pandora screen is irrelevant, because the DPI is different. The same reason the 800x480 image on your computer screen is much bigger than it will be on Pandora. Same resolution, different DPI. Dimensions irrelevant. Picture correct.

Size isn't irrelevant though. The pixels might be accurate, but the actual size on the Pandora will be half that on the DS. The screens are already small to begin with, and this just makes them appear even smaller. My eyes are bad enough as is. I think I'll just stick with playing DS games on my DS, thank you.
Where a DS emulator will probably shine is when a TV is plugged in, using that as the top screen and the Pandora's native touch screen as the bottom, both stretched to fit accordingly.

You could do:

Mouse movement by movement
Left click by single tap
Right click by hold tap (like on Windows Mobile)

Don't really see the big issue.

As for DS Emulation, you could execute natively and use the MMU to trap IO etc, but as mentioned that requires coding from scratch, at least the CPU core. Would be interesting though.

DesktopMan said:
You could do:

Left click by single tap

The problem with this is that when the stylus is brought to the screen, contact will trigger a mouse click, which may be very annoying if you are playing a flash game. Using Runescape as an example (Horrid game, but almost everyone has at least seen it being played), if I want to put my mouse over an npc to show his name, when I touch the stylus to the screen, it will left mouse click, and move me towards the npc, not what I wanted.

I would propose: (as DesktopMan said)
Left click by single tap
Right click by hold tap

But:
Left/Right trigger (depending if user is left or right handed) + click = Move mouse to position

personally what i would do is set it up so when the stylus touches the screen it would just move the mouse no clicking but when i use the left shoulder button (im right handed) it would click and hold for right click but thats just me

Unless you want it to look much worse than the DS, it has to be 1:1 or 2:2. An other solution is shrinking the touch screen and doubling the top screen, and vice versa via buttons when needed.

I also think you could make them full DS size, but no correct dpi, by turning the Pandora sideways. Controls would suck, as would the picture.

You could also just get REALLY close to the Pandora.

sebt3 said:
If the right-click is realy needed, a long press on the screen could bring your beloved context-menu. Even WindowsXP do this on tabletPC. And for sure linux does too. And so will the pandora...

Mattz said:
DesktopMan said:
You could do:

Left click by single tap

The problem with this is that when the stylus is brought to the screen, contact will trigger a mouse click, which may be very annoying if you are playing a flash game. Using Runescape as an example (Horrid game, but almost everyone has at least seen it being played), if I want to put my mouse over an npc to show his name, when I touch the stylus to the screen, it will left mouse click, and move me towards the npc, not what I wanted.

I would propose: (as DesktopMan said)
Left click by single tap
Right click by hold tap

But:
Left/Right trigger (depending if user is left or right handed) + click = Move mouse to position

This what I was saing in my earlier post :
This is the default beaviour of the default touchscreen driver for linux thus for the pandora.
The driver documentation (link on the word too) look clear for me.

surt said:
krooked said:
I was just trying to think of a way to easily use mouse clicks without needing to press buttons on the pandora keyboard, this is due to the fact that one hand will be holding the pandora, the other will have a stylus. i cant be pushing buttons with both hands taken, i would probably drop the thing if i were to try while riding the bus.

You've never held a dual analog-stick gamepad one handed before? Try it some time and see what controls you can manipulate without dropping the thing. You don't hold it with your thumb or forefinger, you clamp it between two or three minor fingers and your palm. Same with the P.

thats how its done, ive just found it isnt always "safe" since it can easily slide out of your hand that way, maybe ill need a wrist strap for use on the bus

krooked said:
thats how its done, ive just found it isnt always "safe" since it can easily slide out of your hand that way, maybe ill need a wrist strap for use on the bus
Did anyone think to put a loop on the case for a wrist strap?

Did anyone think to put a loop on the case for a wrist strap?

although brought up several times i dont think it ever was answered (after a quick forum search) so i would think it doesnt, but could easily be made as a mod yourself.

this is getting to be very off topic and probably should probably be closed, or maybe people can see what else a touchscreen lcd of that size could be used for and if they see a possibly akward angle having the keyboard below it to block their hand.

Back