Touch Screen Specs

paolo

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi there. I'm considering to tear apart the pandora case as "soon" as it arrives.. to fit the screen and the board into some 2-din adapter for my car. The purpose is to waste the blue&me car audio and fit the pandora instead.
So here come some questions:
1) what about touchscreen usability without stylus? It's impossible to operate by stylus while driving. And would suck too. Is the screen sensitive enough or with the stylus is just FAR better than without?
2) what are the exact width and heignt of the RAW screen? Both inner (the real lcd viewport) and outer (considering metal borders) and depth?
3) is the physical keyboard *mandatory* for startup/login/shutdown .. or any other general operation? If I place this in the 2 din adapter I won't have the keyboard as the board is gonna stay somewhere into the plastics, hidden. I'd like to know if the virtual keyboard on-screen is gonna be functional in any situation or not.
(obviously I know that in shell mode you won't get any graphics widget... a bt keyboard in the trunk will do for the real emergencies)

Thanks for the infos, pandora can replace any ordinary car pc installation with TS monitor, cable to the trunk and EEL-pc with dozens of cables everywhere :) there's just need of prolunging the usb sockets and power button :)

Last edited by a moderator:
1: Well, its a resistive Touchscreen, so as long as you touch it with something similar to the stylus tip (finger nail) it should work.

2: There are Dimensions mentioned in the Pandora Wiki, but they are only the inner screen size. Maybe you could use them in combination with the various pictures of the lcd floating around to do a little math and get the size including border...

3:
Afaik Angstrom offers you a onscreen Keyboard right before logon. Or at least can be configured to do so.
I mean, the target devices of angstrom often dont even have an own keyboard (pdas, etc..)

The touchscreen should be equally usable with stylus and finger. How well it works is actually a bit up to the software (the bottom layer, not the user application software): the first OS2007 on my Nokia tablet was a bit insensitive to pressure, an OS upgrade made everything work much better.

For finger usage it's much more about how big the icons etc. are. If they're too small it'll be difficult to operate without a stylus.

Perhaps you would be better served by a beagleboard? It would be such a pity to tear up that nice case.

'Nightwheel' said:
Well if and when you do this. Please take the case off carefully. Then PM me, I would like to have the Pandora case since it sounds like your not going to need it.
A lot of us would like to have an extra case for modding. He might as well put it on ebay.

This will work. The next step is to tear of the analog nubs and replace the stereo's volume changer with one of them.

I'd like to be left your Pandora innards in your will - it seems to me, from the sound of your plan, that it might be a faster way for me to get a Pandora than waiting for my preorder to arrive... and I could overclock your "innards only" one and keep my "intact case" version pure!

'BackAssward' said:
A lot of us would like to have an extra case for modding. He might as well put it on ebay.
I wonder how many cases OP will be ordering?

Uhg, don't ruin one of the 4000 pandoras in theoretical existence so that you can have a 4.3' or whatever screen in your dash. Get an original EEE netbook with a 7' screen and a touchscreen kit for it- should cost less than $300, and there are a lot of projects that have used it for this and have a lot of pictures.

It's his Pandora. He could smash it into pieces and film it and put it up on smashmypandora.com for all he wants.

'Phawx' said:
It's his Pandora. He could smash it into pieces and film it and put it up on smashmypandora.com for all he wants.
I agree. The free market is great because we all have full ability to just be complete assholes to each other in every instance, and here in america (and, well, any other free wheeling capitalist country!) we abuse that to full potential!

Have to take the bad with the good.

The irony is your abuse of Freedom of Speech to its full potential!

Seriously paolo, if all you want is an in-car entertainment system there are better choices (with power/price ratio) than the Pandora (seeing as you no longer need the portability of the machine). As already suggested, a Beagleboard or a netbook with a touchscreen would be much better bet, and you could get started straight away.

(http://www.via-itx.com/vb8001-mini-itx.html) << low power kicks butt as well also if you can add a pci express card to

more ITX stuff (http://www.mini-itx.com/)

'Zeno Arrow' said:
Seriously paolo, if all you want is an in-car entertainment system there are better choices (with power/price ratio) than the Pandora (seeing as you no longer need the portability of the machine). As already suggested, a Beagleboard or a netbook with a touchscreen would be much better bet, and you could get started straight away.
Is the beagleboard up to specs with the Pandora (I mean RAM and NAND) yet?

'Karel Jansens' said:
it is going to be in the next revision, that is probably going to ship about the same time as pandora, AFAIK

'valhalla' said:
'Karel Jansens' said:
it is going to be in the next revision, that is probably going to ship about the same time as pandora, AFAIK

It is shipping way before the Pandora- it is shipping at the end of this month. I asked them that at the start of this week and it is still on track atm.

I believe RAM and NAND will be upgraded but am not certain...what excites me about the Rev C BeagleBoard is that it provides direct access to the parallel LCD bus, so you can attach things like the Pandoras LCD, or LCDs from netBooks or laptops, directly to it (as well as still having the DVI output). So it would proabbly be perfect for a project like this...

Back