Touchscreen + Browser Question

redstar1949

Still Fresh
I know the Pandora isn't multi-touch, but will will be able to touch in the middle of the screen and drag a page up and down like we can on the iPhone?

Is the touch screen hard or soft? Etc.

RedStar1949 said:
I know the Pandora isn't multi-touch, but will will be able to touch in the middle of the screen and drag a page up and down like we can on the iPhone?

That'll be possible, but dragging your fingers apart or together to zoom in or out. (although there might be some creative ways to pull it off using touch and buttons)

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
RedStar1949 said:

It's really up to the browser software, Firefox for example treats click+drag as selecting not scrolling, but a mouse gestures extension could change the default behavior to scrolling. Grab and Drag seems to fit the bill nicely.

Other browsers might handle it differently. Opera I believe has gestures built-in.

As for the "toughness" of the screen, I believe it's no harder than a DS screen (I don't recall the devs mentioning anything about this, it's just a guess). I'm pretty sure that the I-family products actually use a piece of glass over the screen (required for multi-touch and thus "hard"), the Pandora does not have this glass.

I was wondering about the screen, how many colors does it display?
I'm thinking probably 262k, but 16 million would be nice!

Tensuke said:
I was wondering about the screen, how many colors does it display?
I'm thinking probably 262k, but 16 million would be nice!
16 million is the color depth that the display subsystem of the processor can push, and the LCD is capable of very good contrast ratio, so the screen is to put is succinctly: Stunningly Beautiful with more colors than can occur in nature.

mindlord said:
Stunningly Beautiful with more colors than can occur in nature.
So does the Pandora alter the laws of physics to make more frequencies of light visible or does it alter the human mind to perceive colors not transmitted with light? :p

Anyone know what panel tech it uses? TN vs M/PVA vs IPS? anyone know if it uses 8 or 6 bit color?

I'd prefer a TN panel for a portable even at the expense of color quality.

MagicPants said:
So does the Pandora alter the laws of physics to make more frequencies of light visible or does it alter the human mind to perceive colors not transmitted with light? :p
Sadly, most computers are capable of producing colors that the human eye can't differentiate between.

As for the type, I do not know so I would have to defer to someone else. LCD technologies aren't my forte.

mindlord said:
MagicPants said:
Sadly, most computers are capable of producing colors that the human eye can't differentiate between.

As for the type, I do not know so I would have to defer to someone else. LCD technologies aren't my forte.

That doesn't mean they don't appear in nature, it just means we can't tell the difference.

-God Ginrai

Back