Total madness!

Jupp PokeParadox I hope that mine calms down also... but with my wife wanting a new kitchen, and the need of a new car and two kids with imense needs... I really think I will have to take the "pay in parts" option...  :wacko:

You can't preorder there right now (you need to wait until the prototypes are ready and tested, probably December), but you can put your email into the notification list and will then receive an email as soon as the preorders go live!

Just wanted to say that it is possible to preorder the Pyra without 4G/LTE
Indeed.  I seem to have managed to put a non-4G Pyra into my cart on ED's shop.  I'm not about to try buying it, but that shouldn't happen, I think.

Also, I don't see a 4G version for Europe there, so I can't sign up for notifications about that (not that I really need to personally, having my preorder place safe now).

About 4G/non-4G:

You could NOT choose what type of unit you wanted with the pre-preorder!
That will be decided LATER!

The 4G/non-4G or 4G-US is for the REAL preorder, which won't happen before December!
Don't worry about that!

The EU-Version of 4G is the one with US... I'll probably change that so it's easier understandable :)

About 4G/non-4G:

You could NOT choose what type of unit you wanted with the pre-preorder!
That will be decided LATER!

The 4G/non-4G or 4G-US is for the REAL preorder, which won't happen before December!
Don't worry about that!

The EU-Version of 4G is the one with US... I'll probably change that so it's easier understandable :)

You misunderstand.  If you go to the page you can pre-order a non-4G right now.  It's listed as "in stock" which I'm sure is a mistake, eh. ;)

So is 290€ the official price? 

That's not the full price. That's a part payment up front. Full price is I think not 100% fixed yet. It could be around the 600 euro mark though.
Oh geez. I kind of hope it's not more than 500. I'm a bit poor! I'll probably purchase one regardless though. Man, this is exciting.
Actually - to my interpretation - the 290 was the price for a dummy board and a reservation (voucher) to purchase one of the first 200 production Pyra units at a substantial discount from the then retail price - IF they get produced.  ED was upfront about the risks of buying in at this stage of development.

That's not the full price. That's a part payment up front. Full price is I think not 100% fixed yet. It could be around the 600 euro mark though.
Oh geez. I kind of hope it's not more than 500. I'm a bit poor! I'll probably purchase one regardless though. Man, this is exciting.
Actually - to my interpretation - the 290 was the price for a dummy board and a reservation (voucher) to purchase one of the first 200 production Pyra units at a substantial discount from the then retail price - IF they get produced.  ED was upfront about the risks of buying in at this stage of development.
I don't think there was any mention of a discount price for the first 200 pre-orders though, as that might seem unfair to some who might pre-order in wave two.

Well, have a good rest of your life. I'm off to some lonely island in Hawaii with that money and will close down the boards soon... just kidding :)

How I LOLed

You and the team really deserve our trust. Not because there won't be problems, but because you've shown the character to overcome them.
Very pleased for the team and the community that this was so successful!

I don't think there was any mention of a discount price for the first 200 pre-orders though, as that might seem unfair to some who might pre-order in wave two.
Well I believe it exactly states that it will just subtract 290EUR, the bonus we have is a bit of free stuff and get bumped to ahead of the line.:
Some important notes about pre-preordering one of the mass produced unit:

Please note: The Pyra will cost more that that - but whenever the Pyra is ready, you can use this voucher to fully substract the 290 EUR from your final Pyra payment (which won't be necessary until the units are finished and ready to ship!) 
With this voucher, you make sure that you will get one of the very first 200 mass produced Pyras when it's ready. The faster you order, the lower your serial number will be.

Last edited by a moderator:
To my interpretation - the pre-pre-orders are buying a dummy board for 290 EUR and receiving it and a voucher for 290 EUR off the eventual price IF the Pyra goes to production (which it likely and hopefully will).  The voucher is what I referenced as the substantial discount toward their future order.  What they have bought now, though, is a commemorative dummy board that comes with a certificate that will get them a discount on what may be a future product.

Does that help clarify?

i'd rather think of it as 290 euro towards the final price of a production Pyra, with a dummy board as a bonus, with no discount on the Pyra.

but you're right, you could think of it as a 290 euro dummy board, and then a ((FINAL_COST-290)) euro Pyra ;).

Grench's way of looking at it makes a kind of sense if you take to heart the chance that the Pyra may not happen: you didn't partially buy a non-existent Pyra, you bought a dummy board and may have been able to buy a Pyra at discount later.
Otherwise you end up with "I spent 290EUR on nothing".

If everything fails:

zUXiz0U.jpg

Just joking ;)

Grench's way of looking at it makes a kind of sense if you take to heart the chance that the Pyra may not happen: you didn't partially buy a non-existent Pyra, you bought a dummy board and may have been able to buy a Pyra at discount later.
Otherwise you end up with "I spent 290EUR on nothing".

Well I wasn't thinking that.  You two just gave Ed a pretty cool idea - quit making the real Pyra right now and he still legally owns all the 290 Euro preorders - all he does is deliver the dummy boards and he's all set to lonely island in Hawaii ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, you could even use these vouchers on any other products in the shop ;)

But yes: This is a part payment of the final unit. Every normal preorder and later order will have to pay exactly the same for the final unit.
The Dummy PCB is for free as a thanks (incl. shipping), so that's something you 200 get what no one else gets, but won't pay extra for it.

Back