Torrent Client

Wolfsclaw

can't be longer than 2 months right?
Website
Visit site
I've been wondering what Torrent Client will be most likely used on most Pandoras ? How much system ressources does it take? Will it be easy to use and just as fast as on a normal PC? Easy backgrounding? Downloading and playing (ie n64) simultaneously no problem?

Also, what are the chances of a gp2xtorrents (r.i.p)-like site (pandoratorrents?), does anyone think of any chances of a revival of something like this? It was really useful, although people here tended not to speak about it. Who was the author of the site anyway? Is he still active?

I don't see why a torrent app, like Transmission wouldn't run on the pandora, but how fast the wireless speed is i have no idea.

Also, multitaksing should be okay, but i dont know about N64!? overkill i think, unless your pandora overclocks really well.

Transmission is a very simple set-and-forget BT client, and it's in the Angstrom repo: http://www.angstrom-...me=transmission

(Protip: When you're browsing the Angstrom repo for apps, armv7a is the version you're looking for.)

I don't think you'll want to run Mupen64 in a multitasking environment - Pandora only has so many resources on tap. That's what the minimal menu option is for.

Re: Uncle Torrence, there is a a thread in the GP2X General section with that thing in the name. The old site won't be back sadly, but a new one has been set up. It has a Pandora section, and it desperately needs members and content. We all should go there and sign up.

Well I've consistently whipped down whole TV episodes via BitTorrent on my lowly Nokia N810 using Transmission. So I'm pretty confident it will work well on the Pandora.

http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/?pkgname=transmission

Transmission is already on the angstrom repository so it should be really easy to install. It's a pretty torrent client IMO. Certainly a good choice for a portable device (runs on my nokia n800 also)

There's also rtorrent, which is even more lightweight

http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/?pkgname=rtorrent

Transmission is really good, I use it on desktop Linux, however I wish it had some finer-grain scheduling controls for the bandwidth restrictions I have on my pipe.

I've yet to meet a Linux client as good as uTorrent, annoyingly they are all missing quite a few features, don't have decently working DHT and are missing decent bandwidth/seeding controls.

Deluge is probably best in terms of features, but it could really do with a focus on polish and stability.
It just has so many bugs, especially with the interface, that make it annoying to use.

Transmission is a lot nicer as a "Torrent downloader" rather than a full featured client, probably preferable for portable use.

Enverex said:
I've yet to meet a Linux client as good as uTorrent, annoyingly they are all missing quite a few features, don't have decently working DHT and are missing decent bandwidth/seeding controls.
Try KTorrent. It's got everything from DHT to statistics diagrams to bandwidth scheduling to a web interface. Way underrated program, and IMO way better than µTorrent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying Deluge at the moment because it has a bit more options than the rest. Its open source so a port should be possible.

http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Screenshots

Regarding ktorrent, ist that dependant of some kde stuff? hence the "k" in the name.

µtorrent is the best imho, but isnt it available for linux only on wine?
wouldn't run on the pandora.

unless theres a linux native version with sourcecode.

Yes, ktorrent depends on KDE, runs a lot of annoying KDE stuff if you are using a non-KDE de/wm. Also it is chunky compared to µtorrent, not nearly as polished, awkward to use and unreliable for me (bad peer selection). Still the best GUI client I could find on linux. I haven't tried Deluge for a while but I cannot imagine it running too well.

Spirit said:
Yes, ktorrent depends on KDE, runs a lot of annoying KDE stuff if you are using a non-KDE de/wm. Also it is chunky compared to µtorrent, not nearly as polished, awkward to use and unreliable for me (bad peer selection). Still the best GUI client I could find on linux. I haven't tried Deluge for a while but I cannot imagine it running too well.
Hmm yeah the KTorrent version for KDE 3 is a bit messy; the version for KDE 4 (that isn't available everywhere yet) is a lot better.

Still, avoiding KDE and KDE related dependancies would be preferable, Transmission is completely standalone, afaik, doesnt rely on any DE or WM.

GizmoTheGreen said:
Still, avoiding KDE and KDE related dependancies would be preferable, Transmission is completely standalone, afaik, doesnt rely on any DE or WM.

Transmission relies on GTK. It's no more standalone than KTorrent is, though there are other factors in how lightweight something is than whether it uses Qt or GTK.
Edit: My bad, looks like there's a Qt version as well. In either case, those dependencies are still there.

Nice. This is something I'll make good use of. :)

For a while I wanted a way to go from torrent to TV set with ease. Soon it will be only matter of hooking the Pandora to the TV. :D

Transmission is an absolutely wonderful client. Glad to see it is already available for Angstrom.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I just hope that it'll be easy to cap the upload speed (i'm somewhat paranoid about this) and that playing some stuff (okay, so maybe not n64, but let's say PS1) while Transmission runs in the background, or listening to music while browsing the web with Firefox won't struggle the Pandora too hard. BTW i have Project64 running right now on WinXP on my 900Mhz eeePC (first eeepc model ever) while Chrome, MSN, Firefox, 7-Zip, foobar2000 and some other stuff is also opened and the FPS (and the apps) seem fine. Yes they tell you that you shouldn't compare eeepc with the Pandora, but sometimes I just can't resist doing this.

Back