What's The Current Best Torrent Client?

Ravnos posted on Aug 15 2006 at 05:28 PM said:
I've heard a lot of good things about µTorrent which is reinforced here by all the glowing reviews of it. On Linux I like Azureus but it is a bit of a memory hog. Also, KTorrent has become a really solid client in the latest release, though older versions were really crashy. Unfortunately some private trackers only allow certain clients and since KTorrent isn't widespread enough it's often not allowed on those sites.

Edit: I just noticed that KTorrent has a new version just out. I was talking about v1.2 but I might have to upgrade to 2.0 now.
KTorrent seems to be doing fine for me on private trackers

also most sites just say don't use "BitTorrent++, Nova Torrent, TorrentStorm."

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only reccomend Utorrent on the following basis:

I'm lazy (more accurately, I don't have very much free time), and found Utorrent very easy to set up and use.

</cranky old man endorsement>

DemonStar55 posted on Aug 15 2006 at 06:02 PM said:
I've heard a lot of good things about µTorrent which is reinforced here by all the glowing reviews of it. On Linux I like Azureus but it is a bit of a memory hog. Also, KTorrent has become a really solid client in the latest release, though older versions were really crashy. Unfortunately some private trackers only allow certain clients and since KTorrent isn't widespread enough it's often not allowed on those sites.

Edit: I just noticed that KTorrent has a new version just out. I was talking about v1.2 but I might have to upgrade to 2.0 now.

I've had trouble on a couple, particularly one named after the noise a pig makes. It's hit and miss. Maybe I'll give it another try here soon.

Ravnos posted on Aug 15 2006 at 11:32 PM said:
DemonStar55 posted on Aug 15 2006 at 06:02 PM said:

I've had trouble on a couple, particularly one named after the noise a pig makes. It's hit and miss. Maybe I'll give it another try here soon.
got any invites!! I would really appreciate :D

I've been using KTorrent for like 5 hours, it's pretty good, I think it will replace Azureus for me because of the non-resource hog aspect

I've never had problems with Azureus. It only uses about 50MB of my memory, which isn't even as much as Firefox, but then again, I've got 2GB of memory. As for the CPU usage, I barely notice it.

I really like the plugins for Azureus... I use the one that allows me to connect remotely to my computer from the internet and change settings or upload torrents to start.

Another vote for uTorrent. For such a tiny program, it does everything I want from a Torrent client.

uTorrent basically does everything you want Azureus to do, but in a smaller package. I also happen to prefer it's split-window with tabs layout to Azureus' horrible non-split offering. On Linux though, I use Azureus because of its web interface. I should probably check KTorrent out.

I personally use Bitlord, I like the layout, you have all your torrents in one window.

I use listen port 1720 that was recommended by a friend and I get speeds up to 450k a sec when there are lots of seeders.

They usually stay around thye 200k mark for most downloads, I always pick a torrent with good seeding.

Steve.

fitzsteve posted on Aug 19 2006 at 02:05 PM said:
I personally use Bitlord, I like the layout, you have all your torrents in one window.

I use listen port 1720 that was recommended by a friend and I get speeds up to 450k a sec when there are lots of seeders.

They usually stay around thye 200k mark for most downloads, I always pick a torrent with good seeding.

Steve.
:rolleyes: ooh

Hanz™ posted on Aug 19 2006 at 10:22 AM said:
fitzsteve posted on Aug 19 2006 at 02:05 PM said:

Steve.
:rolleyes: ooh
Yes BitLord is complete crap, and I hope you do know that listening on port 1720 doesn't make any difference, certainly not in speed.

anyone using Linux should give Tribler a try. Its based on ABC afaik, and is much more pleasant to use than Azureus or KTorrent imho.

used bit comet, tried utorrent didnt like it, used bit torrent, came here...........downlaoded utorrent (again) LOVED IT!

Back