Time To Rejoyce? N64 Goldeneye!?

kingoddball

Ari64 said:
http://bunnitude.com/ari64/mupen64plus-arm-20100212.tar.gz

Changes since -20091217:

Full TLB emulation + Goldeneye hack

Instruction scheduling changes to avoid load-use and address generation interlock

Better handling of branches into delay slots of other branches

Limit recursion in liveness analysis when evaluating nested loops (was taking too much time)

Don't speculatively precompile code if invalid instructions are encountered

GOLDENEYE!!!!

If I am wrong, please... Hit me! :angry:

SO HAPPY NOW!!

:ph34r: Ninja'ronimo!

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw it, then went for a haircut, then wondered if I should bring it in here to avoid crapping up the beta thread. Glad you did it. :) I thought about bumping an old N64 thread but they're long and cluttered.

So in this thread, we ask knowledgeable people exactly what this means for Mupen64plus and Goldeneye. Ari's words certainly sound delicious, don't they?

[edit] Kingoddball - maybe edit your post in the beta thread with a link back to this one? :)

Ohh.. I didn't mean to offend, Gruso.. I was only playing. Sorry :(

I have already edited the Beta thread and popped a link to here. :)

I got very excited.. Nearly fell off my lounge!

How Did I triple post?
Could some remove them? Sorry. Firefox would not load GP32X and it must have caused that. :(
I'm frequently having that problem, I thought maybe it was GP32X servers getting swapped by threads.

Well, I thats great news, Gruso. It just seemed like you took my attempt at humor wrong. Nothing malicious was meant.

Anyhow! Goldeneye could someday be running! Then... Possibly Perfect Dark! :pandora2ut4:
Ari64 is a CHAMP!

I'm going to throw two things.. Yes, 100% TOO EARLY and Unnecessary!

1: ONLINE Multiplayer!

2: Custom levels and all the rest! Custom Levels and mods - N64

All we seemingly need is a GameShark (or to modify the rom.. Easy enough - Full guide on the lined site)

Ari64 said:
There are some issues, but it does run.

The set of changes needed to make virtual memory and pagefaults work was pretty large. There are still some problems with the code cache getting invalidated too frequently when virtual memory is used, but the compatibility looks pretty good so far. Hopefully some of the people who have received their Pandoras can give feedback on what's working, and what isn't.

[edit] For those wondering what TLB is:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50257-mupen64-will-it-have/page__p__769540&#entry769540

http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/search/label/goldeneye

Is all this excitement only based on the line "Full TLB emulation + Goldeneye hack?"

Just because this is implemented doesn't mean Goldeneye will run, although it's a big step.

More to the point, though, we don't know anything about performance...what I heard was that emulating the TLB took a lot of power.

I mean, I hope Goldeneye will be playable, but I wouldn't start celebrating yet.

Read Gruso's post. It is running.

It's coming along. Give it time, it could become playable!

It's early days.

We were told at one stage that RARE games may never even RUN.... Be Happy!

kingoddball said:
Read Gruso's post. It is running.

It's coming along. Give it time, it could become playable!

It's early days.
we read Gruso's post and then you basically said exactly what Tom said. It's not probably running at full speed right now (and it sounds like there are other errors besides the performance as well.)
We're not being negative about Ari or any of the other devs, they're awesome. Just try not to get people too excited, and expecting it to be playable, when they have only just gotten it running.

kingoddball said:
Really? I'm pretty sure they just said that it's unlikely Perfect Dark would ever be playable and probably Goldeneye too.

goldeneye1.jpg
halolz-dot-com-goldeneye-n64-youcanneverunseeit.gif

(NOT AN IMAGE OF PANDORA GAMEPLAY)

ReJoyce:
So soft this morning, ours. Yes. Carry me along, taddy, like you
done through the toy fair! If I seen him bearing down on me now
under whitespread wings like he'd come from Arkangels, I sink
I'd die down over his feet, humbly dumbly, only to washup. Yes,
tid. There's where. First. We pass through grass behush the bush
to. Whish! A gull. Gulls. Far calls. Coming, far! End here. Us
then. Finn, again! Take. Bussoftlhee, mememormee! Till thous-
endsthee. Lps. The keys to. Given! A way a lone a last a loved a
long the
riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend
of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to
Howth Castle and Environs.
Sir Tristram, violer d'amores, fr'over the short sea, had passen-
core rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy
isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor
had topsawyer's rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse
to Laurens County's gorgios while they went doublin their mumper
all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to
tauftauf thuartpeatrick: not yet, though venissoon after, had a 0
kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all's fair in
vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a
peck of pa's malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory
end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface.

rabidpoobear said:
kingoddball said:
Really? I'm pretty sure they just said that it's unlikely Perfect Dark would ever be playable and probably Goldeneye too.

Derailed.. Yes.. There was no excitement.. Anyhow..

As for no rare games, sorry. I was not 100% correct.

Lunatic said:
bananajamslam said:
Does anyone know if "Conker's Bad Fur Day" will run at a respectable speed. It seems to run horribly on my PC so I wondered what it is like on this.

Thanks in advance.
It is likely that no Rare games will ever run at an acceptable level on the Pandora. But some people have different expectations. I won't play something if the sound doesn't work right, but some people are happy to play at half speed without sound at all.

kingoddball said:
Lunatic said:
bananajamslam said:
Does anyone know if "Conker's Bad Fur Day" will run at a respectable speed. It seems to run horribly on my PC so I wondered what it is like on this.

Thanks in advance.
It is likely that no Rare games will ever run at an acceptable level on the Pandora. But some people have different expectations. I won't play something if the sound doesn't work right, but some people are happy to play at half speed without sound at all.

... Is Lunatic even a dev? Just because one user says something doesn't mean it's truth. I wouldn't take much stockn in a comment like that unless it came from someone like Ari, Exophase, Squidge, etc.

-God Ginrai

Tom` said:
More to the point, though, we don't know anything about performance...what I heard was that emulating the TLB took a lot of power.

Checking the page table on every memory access slows it down about 5%. Saving all the registers whenever a potentially non-mapped memory access is detected, in case a page fault occurs, adds another 1% or so.

If the game never enables the TLB, then we can avoid that 5% slowdown. There is also some overhead for self-modifying code detection, but this varies from game to game. Many games use the TLB only for data and not executable code.

If the memory subsystem was faster, the performance difference would be a bit more than 5% (I saw around 7-8% on x86).

Back