Time To Reach Emulator Maturity?

jimclarson

Still Fresh
i was wondering how long it takes a single emulator, lets take pocketsnes, with devotion and coding expertice, and other coding projects to maintain, how long does it take from the initial port to reach full speed and high compatability? because at this time i can play super mario rpg with mosty fullspeed except certain areas at 0 frameskip on my psp clocked to 333 mhz on accel aproxamet software settings, but yet the caanoo cant emulate beyond on par with the psp even overclocked to the 700 mhz range. so heres my question, how long does it take for a port to be optimized to its fully capable non glitchy level, useing in this instance pocketsnes because snes is my favoritye systyem and thats what makes me not wanna buy a caanoo is the lack of game support and the still buggy/slow stuff in some games. also if i wanted it to go faster, is money bribery a possible way to have more developement focused on one specific emulator of intrest? also, if someone wanted to take up coding for an emulator, can someone point me to a good comprehensive noob tutorial page for people with no coding experience whatsoever? the answers to all these questions are much apreciates and i look foward you all of your potential relys.

~jim~

With no coding experience i estimate coding an emulator will take 5 years to master c++ plus 5 to master asembler and hardware + another year to actually code :)

/Uni

If you want to learn writing an emulator, you can start coding a Chip8 emulator.
Its probably the simplest thing emulated out there, so gives you the basics. It gets more complicated from there, ie coding a NES emu requires much more effort.

Back