Tilematch V0.5

miq01

Website
Visit site
Hi. I've uploaded the latest version of Tilematch to the archive. Download it here.

There are no big changes compared to the previous version but I thought it was worth uploading it anyway as there are several small improvements.

What's new:

- Holding the stick in a direction on menus makes the cursor scroll through the options. In the "Enter name" screen, scrolls through the letters.
- Names can have spaces.
- During game, the cursor moves a bit faster while holding the stick in a direction.
- At the start of each level, the text "LEVEL <LEVEL_NUMBER>" is shown centered on the board for a few seconds.
- Last score is marked on high score table.
- Resetting the high score table is done by pressing L+R instead of R.
- Each language inside the language list is shown in its language instead of using the one currently selected (so that you don't have to remember that "anglès" means "english" anymore :)).
- Added sound (Konami-style :)) when pausing.
- Small visual improvements.
- Added jumping tiles in menu. :)
- Added music in the "Enter name" screen.
- Vol+ works.

Sweeeeeet! :)

I have an idea: how about adding sounds from the animals in your game that plays when you select that animals tile or when you delete that animals tiles?

Like a big ROAR if you delete a row of lions or a Eekeek if you delete some apes? :D

A little more sound effects make such puzzle titles always more enjoyable!

If you do add that make sure there's an option to turn it off because I got a feeling that might get annoying to some real quick!

Awsome changes dude, This update's going on the SD card as soon as possible!

Ok. It's available now for download. Edit: Ooops, not yet. It says v0.5 but after downloading I've seen it's still v0.4. ???

I have an idea: how about adding sounds from the animals in your game that plays when you select that animals tile or when you delete that animals tiles?
If you do add that make sure there's an option to turn it off because I got a feeling that might get annoying to some real quick!
So... what do I do? :D As I said somewhere else, I'm not planning adding "real" animal sounds as I want Tilematch to look and sound a little like 8-bit games. Why? Well, because I like it. :) I would also like to change music so that it sounds bleepy (you know, like those GB tunes) but I don't have the tools to do that in a simple way (I'm using FL Studio, and I'm newbie at it). Maybe since there already is a sound for when tiles are lined up, it'd be nice to have a distinct sound for each animal (again, sounding like it would do on GB or MSX) instead. Anyone wants to do that for me? :)

Btw, I wanted to release a hardware accelerated version using Paeryn's SDL build because it runs nicer but sometimes it makes the program hang at the very beginning. Once I know how to solve it, it'll be there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. It's available now for download.

So... what do I do? :D As I said somewhere else, I'm not planning adding "real" animal sounds as I want Tilematch to look and sound a little like 8-bit games. Why? Well, because I like it. :) I would also like to change music so that it sounds bleepy (you know, like those GB tunes) but I don't have the tools to do that in a simple way (I'm using FL Studio, and I'm newbie at it). Maybe since there already is a sound for when tiles are lined up, it'd be nice to have a distinct sound for each animal (again, sounding like it would do on GB or MSX) instead. Anyone wants to do that for me? :)

Btw, I wanted to release a hardware accelerated version using Paeryn's SDL build because it runs nicer but sometimes it makes the program hang at the very beginning. Once I know how to solve it, it'll be there.

Hi there,

Thanks for the update. I could maybe whip up a small 'chiptune' using QuadraSid or one of the other bleepy VSTs I have. It'd be a nice break from working on gp2xmess. :) Let me know if you'd like that.

I too tried out the HW accel SDL and joystick input caused flickering so I'm going to try it out again in the future.

I'm curious to know if you are able to do 2 different things under SDL:

Catch button down events for Volume Down
Use a timer (SDL_AddTimer)

If so, where did you get your SDL. It seems a lot of devs are using minlib etc so it's been tough finding someone else using SDL to ask questions of.

Just want to say thanks for the game too. To be honest I usually don't like puzzle type games but the 8 bit style actually caught my attention. I'm hooked! :)

~telengard

Hi telengard.

Thanks for the update. I could maybe whip up a small 'chiptune' using QuadraSid or one of the other bleepy VSTs I have. It'd be a nice break from working on gp2xmess. :) Let me know if you'd like that.
I'd prefer to redo my music so that it sounds a bit more "chiptuned". Are you interested in doing some bleepy sounds for the animals instead?

I too tried out the HW accel SDL and joystick input caused flickering so I'm going to try it out again in the future.

If so, where did you get your SDL. It seems a lot of devs are using minlib etc so it's been tough finding someone else using SDL to ask questions of.
I get no flickering at all, but most of the time it just hangs before doing anything. I haven't tested it at all, and haven't read the whole thread about hardware accelerated SDL, so maybe there's an answer for that.

About vol- events, they work fine for me. It's a bit weird because on the previous version vol+ didn't work even though code was very similar to vol-. Now it does, as I said, but the fact is that I don't know how I've solved it! :D If you put some code here maybe I can compare it with mine and try to see what's happening.

About timers, I don't call SDL_AddTimer (which I don't know what it does, btw). I just use SDL_GetTicks() and do subtractions to check how many time has passed. Maybe it's a silly question, but do you add SDL_INIT_TIMER when you init SDL?

Looks like v0.5 is not available yet, even though it says v0.5... Maybe I did something wrong, or maybe EvilDragon hasn't updated it yet. I'll wait untill tonight and if there are no changes, I'll try to upload it again. Sorry about that.

In the meantime, you can download it from the FTP Server from GP32Spain. More details in the first message of this thread.

Edit: Now you can download it from the archive. There is a link in the first message.

Hi telengard.

I'd prefer to redo my music so that it sounds a bit more "chiptuned". Are you interested in doing some bleepy sounds for the animals instead?

Hmm, I'm more of a musician than a sound effects designer although I'd like to give it a shot. :)
Sure, I'll come up with some bloopy sounds for the animals. What format would you need them in?

I get no flickering at all, but most of the time it just hangs before doing anything. I haven't tested it at all, and haven't read the whole thread about hardware accelerated SDL, so maybe there's an answer for that.

About vol- events, they work fine for me. It's a bit weird because on the previous version vol+ didn't work even though code was very similar to vol-. Now it does, as I said, but the fact is that I don't know how I've solved it! :D If you put some code here maybe I can compare it with mine and try to see what's happening.

Hmm, that's weird. I put in some real simple code in my event handler, pretty much #if 0'ing out all of the other code. I print out the button #s for button down and button up events. I get both for volume up, and just up with volume down. gp2xmess works by polling so I have to call the getstate routine to find out if buttons are pushed, vol down never shows up. Weird that I would get the BUTTON_UP but not BUTTON_DOWN. :(

Nothing worse than voodoo like that, things just "going away". Dang gremlins!! ;)

About timers, I don't call SDL_AddTimer (which I don't know what it does, btw). I just use SDL_GetTicks() and do subtractions to check how many time has passed. Maybe it's a silly question, but do you add SDL_INIT_TIMER when you init SDL?

Yep, I have the INIT_TIMER in there. The code works fine on my Linux host, on the gp2x that call returns NULL for some reason. I need it to support scrolling w/ the joystick in menus.

thanks,
~telengard

Hmm, I'm more of a musician than a sound effects designer although I'd like to give it a shot. :)
Sure, I'll come up with some bloopy sounds for the animals. What format would you need them in?

Great! OGG, 22,5kHz if possible (44 otherwise), and I think I used VBR. Take into account that they should be a bit less than a second long (check "02canvi.ogg" inside the data folder to see what I mean).

Hmm, that's weird. I put in some real simple code in my event handler, pretty much #if 0'ing out all of the other code. I print out the button #s for button down and button up events. I get both for volume up, and just up with volume down. gp2xmess works by polling so I have to call the getstate routine to find out if buttons are pushed, vol down never shows up. Weird that I would get the BUTTON_UP but not BUTTON_DOWN. :(

Nothing worse than voodoo like that, things just "going away". Dang gremlins!! ;)
Really weird... Expect Gremlins to solve it for you, as they did for me... :D

I think this thread is about your SDL problem : http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=23007

You can download corrected SDL libs from one of the post.

I just tried it, and it's definitely smoother control, although it's taking my right or left input as up or down more than used to. Another winner from miq01! Thank you again.

Great! OGG, 22,5kHz if possible (44 otherwise), and I think I used VBR. Take into account that they should be a bit less than a second long (check "02canvi.ogg" inside the data folder to see what I mean).

Really weird... Expect Gremlins to solve it for you, as they did for me... :D

Cool, I'll get started working on them soon. I'll check out that file too.
VBR is 'variable bit rate', correct?

Hehe, I'm hoping the gremlins fix this one because I'd really like to be able to lower the volume. :)

~telengard

I just tried it, and it's definitely smoother control, although it's taking my right or left input as up or down more than used to. Another winner from miq01! Thank you again.
Are you sure? I think I didn't change control at all. Cursor moves a bit faster when holding a direction but that's all.
So, this is with the hardware accelerated SDL?
Not yet. Check message #5. :)
Cool, I'll get started working on them soon. I'll check out that file too.
VBR is 'variable bit rate', correct?
Yes, but don't worry about that. 128 or 96 fixed bit rate is ok too.

Next version of Tilematch is going to support themes and the possibility of changing them dynamically (from inside the game). You will just have to create a new folder inside the data folder and copy the new artwork in it. There will be no need to replace all the files but just some of them (only music, only the background image on menu, etc.). Files not available in the new theme will be loaded from the default one.

So...
I could maybe whip up a small 'chiptune' using QuadraSid or one of the other bleepy VSTs I have. It'd be a nice break from working on gp2xmess. :) Let me know if you'd like that.
Yes, I'd like that!

Any contribution will be welcome and the ones I like most will be included in the next release. Keep in mind that new artwork will need to have the same format as the original: PNG --using RGB=(1,0,0) as transparent colour--, and OGG --22,5 or 44 kHz, 96kbps or VBR--). For now, you can test them overwriting the ones inside the data folder.

Next version of Tilematch is going to support themes and the possibility of changing them dynamically (from inside the game). You will just have to create a new folder inside the data folder and copy the new artwork in it. There will be no need to replace all the files but just some of them (only music, only the background image on menu, etc.). Files not available in the new theme will be loaded from the default one.

So...
I could maybe whip up a small 'chiptune' using QuadraSid or one of the other bleepy VSTs I have. It'd be a nice break from working on gp2xmess. :) Let me know if you'd like that.
Yes, I'd like that!

Any contribution will be welcome and the ones I like most will be included in the next release. Keep in mind that new artwork will need to have the same format as the original: PNG --using RGB=(1,0,0) as transparent colour--, and OGG --22,5 or 44 kHz, 96kbps or VBR--). For now, you can test them overwriting the ones inside the data folder.

Hi again miq01,

I spent tonight creating some bleepy/bloopy sound effects for the animals. Do you happen to have a build of your app that I could drop the sounds into to try out? I like the sounds individually but I'd like to see how they sound "in game". Make sure they work well together and aren't too long/short. If this is planned for the next build I'll just wait for that. Just so you know these are 8 bit all the way, no fancy stuff (but that's the way I like it!).

Also, did I read correctly in that you'd like me to write a little "chiptune" for the game too? You had said previously you were going to do that. It's late... I get confused easily. :)

~telengard

Hi again miq01,
Hi!

I spent tonight creating some bleepy/bloopy sound effects for the animals. Do you happen to have a build of your app that I could drop the sounds into to try out? I like the sounds individually but I'd like to see how they sound "in game". Make sure they work well together and aren't too long/short. If this is planned for the next build I'll just wait for that. Just so you know these are 8 bit all the way, no fancy stuff (but that's the way I like it!).
Great! Well, I don't have that build now but I can have it tonight or tomorrow. As soon as it's ready, I'll upload it to the GP32Spain public FTP and send you a private message here, right?

Also, did I read correctly in that you'd like me to write a little "chiptune" for the game too? You had said previously you were going to do that. It's late... I get confused easily. :)
Yes! If you want to do that It'd be great! Forget about what I said previously... :) as I've decided to add themes to Tilematch, so one theme could just be same gfx and your music and sounds.

Back