This Is Not Whining...

jdh2550

Chip or Squidge - can you please unpin the current status thread and create a new one, this time please lock it or restrict posts to ONLY you two. It's now next to useless because of the amount of noise it contains.

I strongly suggest you only pin locked threads. Otherwise they quickly become 9 page monsters with a signal to noise ration of about 1% which defeats the purpose of pinning them. I don't want to read 9 pages of well meaning but none the less useless chatter to find out a current status.

Personally, I suggest you don't lock threads that aren't pinned. Folks can censor their own reading and posting patterns by choosing to participate or ignore as they feel fit. Let's encourage self-determination rather than having a well meaning dictator do it for us. Of course, it's your choice and I don't care if you continue to lock things - just a reminder that no one is forced to read the crap (although I find I do - it's like rubber-necking or turning over a rock to look at the creepy crawlies).

And folks in both camps would do well to remember to separate style from content when reading and writing posts. No one on either side is without a share of this communication problem myself and EVERYONE else included. I guess the only ones with no "share of the blame" are those that haven't posted at all!

My suggestion to the rest of us (which carries no weight at all):

To folks who want more info: show some patience and gratitude and most of all do your homework before you post.
To folks who want to say "it is what it is": realize that's your choice and show a little humility to the rest of us.

I still vote for Chip (and now Squidge) to be "chief communication officers" and encourage ED and Craig to treat them that way.

Just my 0.02 cents worth (downgraded in value because of inflationary pressures)

EDIT to add in "or Squidge"; EDIT 2 for clarity

I think Chip's intention with the pinned status thread is that all the useful information will be contained in the first post. People can ask for clarification by posting replies, but you shouldn't need to read all the replies.

Maybe Chip would like to clean up the topic a little by deleting and/or merging a few of the posts, but then we'll probably get people (as has happened before) posting new topics with the subject line of "Why did you delete my post?!", so I'll leave that decision upto him.

Squidge said:
I think Chip's intention with the pinned status thread is that all the useful information will be contained in the first post.

In that case, to avoid confusing readers, this should be said in big text right at the beginning of the first post: "THERE IS NO NEED TO READ THE REPLIES - ALL THE RELEVANT INFO IS IN THIS FIRST POST"

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
Maybe Chip would like to clean up the topic a little by deleting and/or merging a few of the posts, but then we'll probably get people (as has happened before) posting new topics with the subject line of "Why did you delete my post?!", so I'll leave that decision upto him.

I thought the Pandora was Open Source. I guess this doesn't extend to People's opinion. That would make it free as in beer I guess.

Probably a good idea to put that in the first post chip, it probably won't do a thing, but it might do...

Canguy said:
Squidge said:

I thought the Pandora was Open Source. I guess this doesn't extend to People's opinion. That would make it free as in beer I guess.

Give me a break - you've got the whole rest of the board on for People to express their Opinion. I'm just asking for one pinned thread that doesn't turn into a bunch of back and forth banter - the more Chip deletes (from the pinned threads) the better!

The only reason pinned threads shouldn't be locked is so that people can post things to be added to the first post of said list.

[/quote]
Give me a break - you've got the whole rest of the board on for People to express their Opinion. I'm just asking for one pinned thread that doesn't turn into a bunch of back and forth banter - the more Chip deletes (from the pinned threads) the better!
[/quote]
I thought you said you weren't whining?

(Re: my post today: enough talking the talk, time to walk the walk).

OK guys, I'm sure Chip/OtherMods have enough information here to make the right decision on pinned threads. No need to lose the relevance of your original post by devolving into a flame war.

Take that part of discussion to PM or just drop it. (Please?) :)

Even better, I think someone with no life (sorry! :lol: ) who's a good communicator and active in the community should serve as the press liaison for the Pandora crew to update the blog more frequently. I'd recommend Chip.

Username said:
The only reason pinned threads shouldn't be locked is so that people can post things to be added to the first post of said list.
If a mod wants only certain responses they need to put that in the post. If they stop people posting someone will start a discussion thread anyway, so it doesn't make a lot of difference, especially as it's obvious that people are asking the same questions either haven't read what has been said or they can't grasp what has been said.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Even better, I think someone with no life (sorry! :lol: ) who's a good communicator and active in the community should serve as the press liaison for the Pandora crew to update the blog more frequently. I'd recommend Chip.
That's a bit insulting CTF impying Chip has no life.

So little news or real discussion all the threads are discussions about threads...

TaG said:
So little news or real discussion all the threads are discussions about threads...
I was thinking along the same lines, that sums it up perfectly.

TaG said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
That's a bit insulting CTF impying Chip has no life.

Wasn't meant at all to be an insult, just saying that Chip is so in-tune with his inner Pandora chi that I wonder how much sleep he actually gets! :lol: All kidding aside, he really would be the best man for that kind of job, should the opportunity arise.

I've mentioned jokingly in the past for there to be some kind of information or FAQ screen that the user was forced to look at before they could post. security code would be contained within.
nobody reads faqs or stickies. they seem more like a list for people to link to rather than noobs to get info from.

PoisonedV said:
I've mentioned jokingly in the past for there to be some kind of information or FAQ screen that the user was forced to look at before they could post. security code would be contained within.
nobody reads faqs or stickies. they seem more like a list for people to link to rather than noobs to get info from.
Maybe some sort of quiz to make sure you read it all?

Make the new user enter a security code while wearing headphones and then one of those screaming zombie girls appears and makes them defecate followed by a message about how they had better read the stickies before asking questions. Make a note of this in one of the stickies, so that new users who have already read the stickies won't have to change their panties.

Edited because I used the wrong kind of brackets.

Back