Thinking Of Buying A Gp32

Afrothunder

Still Fresh
I just recently discovered the GP32 gaming/emulation/enterteinment system and am already very inpressed. But before I commit to spending +$220 i would like to know about the machine and interface from a users perspective. Here ore my questions...
1) do you need previous programing or signifigant computer experiance to use the GP32

2) is the user interface between your PC and the GP32 difficult to use

3) what are the different methods of downloading applications and what do they require

4) how is information stored within the system

5) what is firmware

6) are all of the emulators specialized for the system

7) where is the best place to buy one

8) finally, in your personal opinion, is the extra effort involved worth the gaming experience :D

1) do you need previous programing or signifigant computer experiance to use the GP32

No. Unless you want to write your own games/software.

No.

3) what are the different methods of downloading applications and what do they require

? not sure what you mean

In files, like windows, on a smartmedia card (up to 128MB per card).

5) what is firmware

Software which is written onto the GP32 itself and operates the GP32 (reading the card, launching games/applications etc)

Yes...

www.gbax.com or www.lik-sang.com

8) finally, in your personal opinion, is the extra effort involved worth the gaming experience

Yes... not really much extra effort to be honest...

umm, did you read the FAQ? That should cover most of it, you dont need any programming experince to play it but it would benefit to know C++. Firmware is the GP32's ROM (read only memory) so you cant save things to it. You will need an SMC (smar media card) to store all of your games, Its a great system! go for it.

1) If you want to develop for the GP32, you'll need at least basic C/C++ programming knowledge. In terms of computer experience, well, if you have an SMC reader/writer you can just put SMC's into that and copy things onto them. Else run GPDrive (makes the GP32 appear as another hard drive to most PC operating systems) on your GP32 and copy things over the link cable (via USB) onto an SMC inserted into the GP32.

2) The official program for copying stuff onto the GP32 is easy to use, although one of the above methods is prefered by most people.

3) Copy onto SMC via PC card reader/writer, or copy onto an SMC via GP32's USB cable.

4) 8mb RAM for programs to run in/utilize. Can take SMC's up to 128mb in size for storage of programs/games/vids/mp3s/etc.

5) Firmware is what your GP32 initially boots into. An environment if you like, from which other programs can run. There are various home-made firmwares about, as well as different offical firmwares.

6) Not really sure what you mean, but all the emulators are coded to run on the GP32 and won't run on anything else. They are written specifically for the GP32's processor and features.

7) In the UK, www.gbax.com. Also Lik-Sang and Shibuya (France)

8) Yes, there a great GP32 community but it does require some effort to get the most out of your GP32. Mainly reading up on how to get different programs and games working (some may require files to be put in a certain place on an SMC, for example).

The FAQ covers most of the above btw, and a lot more besides.

Last edited by a moderator:
I reccomend getting the beta firmware asap.. the original firmware is more of a pain to run non commercial programs, and the beta comes with a better program for transferring. also get a front light unit or back light unit (if they ever come out).. I have a non-lit unit and wish I wouldve got one with built in lighting. the emulators completely solve the problem of games.. as none of the titles made for the console are that exciting to me.

the gp32 is mainly a retro-gaming handheld.

i love this little thing, because i played c64,st,nes,sms,snes,genesis,etc... years ago in my childhood days and i now can play it all again.
i don't know, how much fun you can have with it, if you didn't played those consoles in the past...

and to your questions: you just need a few days to figure things out and then, it's really easy to use. and if you have any probs, you already found the right place to ask... :)

I recommend just flashing to MultiFW and using Pacrom - YAFL. I recommend that you don't buy it right now and that you just wait until the Euro launch for the BLU, which you should then buy from GBAX if you are located around the UK.

If I didnt have mine I would go for it ASAP but you have to keep in mind that the GP32 is quite old now and it cant go younger...
This is still a lovely handheld with tons of games and a very great comunity :D
plus a lot of bonus : MP3/WMA/OGG/DivX...

BTW : Im uing aquafish MFW 4.8 and it rocks...before I was with Mr Spiv MFW2(very good too)...

see you :lol:

Since in his question he refered to "$220.00" that is USD So I would guess the US.

I just recently discovered the GP32 gaming/emulation/enterteinment system and am already very inpressed. But before I commit to spending +$220 i would like to know about the machine and interface from a users perspective. Here ore my questions...

5) what is firmware

8) finally, in your personal opinion, is the extra effort involved worth the gaming experience :D

You need absolutely no programming experience to use one. If you can use windows or mac you can use GP32.

Just drag and drop icons through the standard Windows interface if you use PC.

Download apps from here or similar sites. Them just drag and drop onto the SMC card.

4) how is information stored within the system.

Removable SMC flash memory. Little cards like you save PS2 games on only much larger capacity and smaller physical size.

5) what is firmware

Firmware is just BIOS. You can change it or just leave as is. sSome sellers pre-flash with different firmwares. Mostly it will just change the look of the launcher but any of them will run the same apps.

Not sure what exactly this means. Most were ported from other systems such as the PC but then optimised to run fast on GP32.

GBAX or Lik-Sang

8) finally, in your personal opinion, is the extra effort involved worth the gaming experience

There is really not much effort at all, if you can turn on a computer and copy a file that is the extent of the "effort". So the answer is a resounding YES it is worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I took so long to reply. I am located in the U.S. and am very greatful for the help. One more question for now: how do you change the firmware?

Thanks for the help

You use a program that you can download. The program looks for a file, FW.bin, and it erases the current FW and replaces it with that one. So, you basically just download the desired firmware, rename it to FW.bin, and then run the program.

EDIT: Just go here scroll down to the firmware section. You can actually download an all-in-one .fxe which includes the flashing program and the firmware, but that's only for MultiFW, which I recommend. This is the flashing program. You just downlaod that, rename the firmware you want to FW.bin, place it in GP:\, and run the program.

In all honesty - I have two GP32's, and subject to the BLU being of far better build quality, I would recommend that you get a Zodiac if you've got the extra funds.

If you only want your system to last one to two years in good working order (I'll admit I use my GP32 a fair bit), what with dodgy button membranes, poor joystick, failing FLU lights, bad pixels etc, the GP32 is a good bet as its got some great emu's, but the Zodiac, which appears far superior in terms of build quality, is quickly catching up.

I can't believe I just said that :p but that's my honest assessment at this point. Maybe I'm just so mad at the moment what with my precious GP32 fading and I should take a cold shower or something :p

Come on! Not everybody get's the unresponsive A button. Only a small majority get unresponsive diagonals (I didn't get them). The failing FLU lights are from this year's batch of FLUs; keep in mind that they are 3rd party, so the BLU will be of much higher quality and won't crap out on us. Bad pixels, I've heard only like 1-2 people with that problem. And there's always Mashmods...

Back