Thinkgeek.com Has Wiz In Stock At 99Us!

Jumpman

Advanced Member
I dont know if this has been posted, if so a mod can remove or combine. ThinkGeek.com currently has the Wiz on sale for $99.99! I sold my Wiz awhile ago, and I don't really come over here that much anymore, but I figure some of the community might want to take advantage of this deal.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/clearance/on-sale/bfc7/

They are a US based company, so I'm not sure if they ship outside of the states, but this appears to be a good deal. I have used them in the past, and they have a lot of great "Geek" stuff, so check'em out.

Chris

What is the point of buying it if the screen is going to get covered in black blobby pixels a few months after use?
then again at that price might be worth a risk and I might get one myself.

The fact is, with a small community like this flaws in a design surface, get mulled over, and pummeled into the collective consciousness. The reality is, there's a large number of Wiz out there that have been happily humming away without a hint for screen deterioration, and will continue to do so for many years.

It's a good price and am tempted to buy one but I am in UK and am a bit worried about paying customs/import tax? Has anyone in UK bought a handheld from them?

Ah crap. The plan was to sell my Wiz once the Pandora showed up. There goes the resale value!

Just wanted to mention, to my knowledge, all wiz's that came from that thinkgeek sale have a malfunctioning snes and mame emulator, otherwise the rest works fine. Solutions pretty simple, just get ginge and you wont have to refund it like I almost did =D

Spencario said:
Just wanted to mention, to my knowledge, all wiz's that came from that thinkgeek sale have a malfunctioning snes and mame emulator, otherwise the rest works fine. Solutions pretty simple, just get ginge and you wont have to refund it like I almost did =D
Maybe that is because they use a newer firmware?

All you would have to do is downgrade the FW and the emus would probably work.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
Spencario said:
Maybe that is because they use a newer firmware?

All you would have to do is downgrade the FW and the emus would probably work.

I got a Wiz for Christmas from ThinkGeek with the newer firmware and have been experiencing SNES emulation problems. However, it doesn't seem to be the firmware as I have researched the issue online and found people that upgraded their firmware haven't had any issues. Therefore it has to be something with the hardware.

Instead of downgrading, I'd recommend getting GinGE as that completely fixed my SNES emulation troubles(Thanks to Matthew on this board who suggested that).

hamisgood said:
Does ginge fix the mame problems?

I have a ThinkGeek Wiz as well, and while I had issues with pocketSNES(fixed with GinGE), I have had zero issues with MAME. Wanna post somewhere in the I Need Help forum, and perhaps we can figure out what's going on.

Though, I am literally steps from just caving and pulling my Wiz open and taking some pictures. I'm very interested to see if there is a literal hardware problem.

MatthewQA said:
Though, I am literally steps from just caving and pulling my Wiz open and taking some pictures. I'm very interested to see if there is a literal hardware problem.

Wow, I would love to see those pics! Would you know what to look for?

darklight1138 said:
Wow, I would love to see those pics! Would you know what to look for?

I know, the thought of seeing the internals is very tempting for me too. :p

Yes, more or less; the bigger issue here, though, would be I'd need to get someone(or find myself) pictures of a non-ThinkGeek "working" Wiz. That way we can compare the two and see if there are any significant hardware differences. Also, I'll probably look for a version or revision number on the board itself.

In fact, I may or may not do that tomorrow. Depends on if I have time, and whether or not I feel daring enough.

EDIT: I popped my Wiz apart and have taken pictures of the hardware. I will post them later tonight, once I get them uploaded. I am already having series doubts that this is a hardware issue. I discovered the hardware version of the board is v7.0, documented on 2009.06.02(or 20, forgive my memory, but it'll be easy enough to check if someone else has 20 or 2; I can also check the picture).

This is a mere month or so after the release of the Wiz. So I see it as highly unlikely that ThinkGeek is the only one distributing this version. Even considering the first version may have had a large padding due to mass manufacturing(which is a case like a small out-of-states opensource handheld, is pretty unlikely), the first version should have run out long before now.

But there's always the possibility of a small undocumented hardware change, so I will post the pictures none-the-less.

I also noticed on the inside of the battery casing, is a series of identifiers: GPX-GP2X-WIZ(B)

Normally this wouldn't intrigue much, but the "(B) " is what interests me, I want to see how many people have this "(B) " in the product name.

I'll post again when I post the pictures, as it will probably be another thread. :)

Awesome! I'll keep my eyes on this thread then.

Yeah, just seeing the internals would be interesting enough.

Alrighty, I posted the pictures and information all in a new thread [here]. Hopefully we can make some headway here.

I'd get one if I didn't have 3 already. I got em for 150 damn ><

xteraco said:

very odd i also purchased one from thinkgeek like 2 weeks ago and was having ALOT of problems with the snes emulation as well as the dpad was squeky as hell and unresponsive on the right side sometimes . anyway i sent it back and got a refund i figured the wiz was just crap... so there not all like this?

CircusMaximusBC said:
xteraco said:

very odd i also purchased one from thinkgeek like 2 weeks ago and was having ALOT of problems with the snes emulation as well as the dpad was squeky as hell and unresponsive on the right side sometimes . anyway i sent it back and got a refund i figured the wiz was just crap... so there not all like this?

it seems that this 99$ batch had some serious troubles, there are a lot of people complaining about non working emulators from this series. i never had any troubles using the snes emu, but my wiz is more than a year old and was something around 150€ when i got it.

I find this particularly odd, I got both of my WiZ consoles from the $99 ThinkGeek batch, one had a dead pixel so I sent it back for exchange. Pocketsnes works flawlessly, and I have had no squeaky d-pad of any sort.

Back