There Is No Need To Include The Ubuntu Netbook Gui In The Nand

Is there a need for Ubuntu Netbook GUI to be on the NAND?

• Yes, pandora needs to be shipped with the Ubuntu GUI on it.

Votes: 115 67.6%
  • No, I will add it on the NAND/SD later or I wont need it all.

Votes: 55 32.4%

• Total voters

I wanted E17 =/

or openbox.

If we're to use netbook remix gui, then why not jolicloud?

Pleng said:
Warpshade said:
So, basically...

Is that more-or-less right?

Bingo!
Awesome!
Now all we need is that said by someone more "official" and to have it put somewhere that people will be able to read it, and this confusion can be sorted in the semi-long-term. </blatantoptimism>

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunny said:
All this talk of Linux... Some of us don't intend to run linux on this at all, you know.

D.
Huh! There are other options? I like options. What are your plans?

may88 said:
Dunny said:
All this talk of Linux... Some of us don't intend to run linux on this at all, you know.

D.

Me thinks he'll make the :pandora2ut4: autolaunch amiga emulator at boot and use Workbench...

KodeIn said:
may88 said:
Dunny said:

D.

Me thinks he'll make the :pandora2ut4: autolaunch amiga emulator at boot and use Workbench...

Nah, not that :)

I've been (on and off for the last couple of years) writing an OS based on the sinclair spectrum ROM. I intend to port that to the pandora :)

D.

Dunny said:

I've been (on and off for the last couple of years) writing an OS based on the sinclair spectrum ROM. I intend to port that to the pandora :)

D.

I still have french old books (26 years old xD) talking about programming in BASIC.
One is aimed at ZX spectrum, 20 games with source code (frogger-like, snake-like, ...), one aimed at Spectravideo.
The two others aren't aimed at a specific system, but are "generic BASIC programming" to make a word processor and to learn how to make adventure games with graphics.
We had loads of games on the two computers, my father AND my brother were making them...

Prometheus said:
EvilDragon said:
We want to exchange it with Exaile once we find the time to do that.
Exaile is way better for proper music listening :)
Ohh, I like this. :D It reminds me a little bit of the Mac OS X version of iTunes, before it got super-massively bloaty and difficult-to-use several years ago.

To me it looks like Amarok 1.4, which is the best version of Amarok, and best music manager ever, imho. From Exaile's wiki:

ABOUT

Exaile is a music player aiming to be similar to KDE's Amarok, but for GTK+ and written in Python.

This decision gets a +1 from me. :D

EDIT: Also, from the video, the netbook launcher looks really cool. As long as it doesn't eat up too much NAND space, I'd love to see this in the standard distribution.

emil10001 said:
Prometheus said:
Ohh, I like this. :D It reminds me a little bit of the Mac OS X version of iTunes, before it got super-massively bloaty and difficult-to-use several years ago.

To me it looks like Amarok 1.4, which is the best version of Amarok, and best music manager ever, imho.
I almost mentioned it, but Amarok 1.4 also looks like the unbloaty old version of iTunes to me, so it seemed a little redundant. :lol:

Wouldn't it make sense to have a repo that is stable only? IE: the Angstrom distro releases an update to a package, OP tests that update. If all is good, it is submitted into the OFFICIAL repo and everyone is happy. If it is not stable then OP submits a bug report and it doesn't make it into the official repo until it is fixed.

shadow.8 said:
Wouldn't it make sense to have a repo that is stable only? IE: the Angstrom distro releases an update to a package, OP tests that update. If all is good, it is submitted into the OFFICIAL repo and everyone is happy. If it is not stable then OP submits a bug report and it doesn't make it into the official repo until it is fixed.

That's not a realistic expectation. OP is not a large enough operation that they could have someone essentially re-certifying everything that gets added or changed in the Angstrom repo.

Honestly, I don't understand what all the hubub is about. For people who want everything to be simple, it is very simple by default. For people who want more options, they are available via simply adding additional repos (at your own risk). It's the best of both worlds.

Chip said:
shadow.8 said:

That's not a realistic expectation. OP is not a large enough operation that they could have someone essentially re-certifying everything that gets added or changed in the Angstrom repo.

Honestly, I don't understand what all the hubub is about. For people who want everything to be simple, it is very simple by default. For people who want more options, they are available via simply adding additional repos (at your own risk). It's the best of both worlds.

I don't know that I would consider what I said an expectation, but I see now that it could be a lot of work. Meh, I was just brainstorming for those unhappy individuals in this thread. :p

Personally, I agree with your point of view, Chip, because I know that whatever OP releases will be stable enough and if I decide to customize my Pandora, it will probably be with a different distro (Arch, Gentoo, etc) and I will not be worried about an official repository.

Dunny said:
KodeIn said:
may88 said:
Dunny said:

D.

D.
so you're writing a new kernel? good luck bro

Dunny said:
KodeIn said:
may88 said:
Dunny said:

D.

D.

You, sir, are completely mad. Bonkers. Insane. From one loony to another, I salute you with the utmost respect.

:lol:

I voted Yes, by the way. The UNR gui actually is very, very usable.

Back