There Is No Need To Include The Ubuntu Netbook Gui In The Nand

Is there a need for Ubuntu Netbook GUI to be on the NAND?

• Yes, pandora needs to be shipped with the Ubuntu GUI on it.

Votes: 115 67.6%
  • No, I will add it on the NAND/SD later or I wont need it all.

Votes: 55 32.4%

• Total voters

second exodous said:
The Ångström package that broke PND, was PND in the Ångström repos? Anyone that was using PND and the Ångström unstable packages would have picked that up and submitted a bug report would have prevented that Ångström package from being released until it worked with PND, which should be in the repos.

As said, it didn't break PND because of some dependencies or something like that.
The package (unstable) itself was broken. The command it provided wasn't even working anymore.
So it was broken on ANY system that got updated with it :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
second exodous said:
The Ångström package that broke PND, was PND in the Ångström repos? Anyone that was using PND and the Ångström unstable packages would have picked that up and submitted a bug report would have prevented that Ångström package from being released until it worked with PND, which should be in the repos.

As said, it didn't break PND because of some dependencies or something like that.
The package (unstable) itself was broken. The command it provided wasn't even working anymore.
So it was broken on ANY system that got updated with it :)
So it's just one of those disadvantages of 'rolling with the update punches of the OS.' You can be up to date or you can have things stable for the Pandora. As long as security bugs are a top priority then I'm fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand the problem.

If you jailbreak an iPhone, PSP, Wii, whatever, you're on your own.

You will be provided a base OS by OP team which will feature official repositories for software updates and an appstore for downloading apps. The OS is far more customizable than any of the devices listed above but as soon as you start adding your own repositories or your own default os, then you're on your own.

OP are providing and supporting an OS.
They are providing recommended places to get your software.
And they are allowing you to run other OSs on the device at your own risk.

What more could you reasonably ask for?

People are asking for the standard package manager (opkg) to know of all the stuff coming on the NAND as standard (package database), so you can say opkg remove _package_that_i_hate_ and it will know what you're asking it to remove. I'd like this to be true.

About the Ubuntu netbook-launcher: Going on past experience with it, I vote that it should be included.

I used it daily on a small laptop (one without a touch-screen, though) for a while last year, and found that it greatly lent itself to getting things done quickly. I remember when I first set it up, thinking, "Neat, I can change to a 'full desktop'.", but I found that a full desktop wasn't practical for me at the resolution that was being used (1024x600), and in the end I only used the netbook-launcher at all.

Basically, I found it very practical, and I very much want to use it on my Pandora. :p

urjaman said:
People are asking for the standard package manager (opkg) to know of all the stuff coming on the NAND as standard (package database), so you can say opkg remove _package_that_i_hate_ and it will know what you're asking it to remove. I'd like this to be true.
But then _PND_that_assumes_package_exists_because_it_claims_you_are_running_standard_ will fail.

WizardStan said:
But then _PND_that_assumes_package_exists_because_it_claims_you_are_running_standard_ will fail.
That's my (users) fault then for doing something that's not supported - i see no problem. The only problem that i see could be that the space on NAND will not allow for this (== they prefer to have feature X instead of the package database), and for this i'm suggesting a development image (for an SD card) should be made available for download.
Development image should IMO contain:
* everything the standard contains, identical binaries etc
* GCC toolchain
* headers and .a's for all the installed libraries
* OPKG + the package database

Oh my, what a commotion!

urjaman said:
Yes, this is what I'd like to be able to do.

WizardStan said:
urjaman said:
You just create a package called "pandora-platform" that depends on all of the libs developers can assume to be there. Problem solved.

This is how {X,Edu,K}ubuntu does it with packages called {x,edu,k}ubuntu-desktop.

help files = man pages?
just put midnight commander on it with proper file assoc for emus :) (wouldnt work with zipped roms tho :()

urjaman said:
WizardStan said:
That's my (users) fault then for doing something that's not supported - i see no problem. The only problem that i see could be that the space on NAND will not allow for this (== they prefer to have feature X instead of the package database), and for this i'm suggesting a development image (for an SD card) should be made available for download.

But that's the point - our image IS a standard Angström image. It's exactly created according to their bitbake-rules.
ALL you need is already at the GIT: http://git.openpandora.org
You can change the rules to whatever you like and bake your image.

And all that stuff that is baked in there can be removed with OPKG. So you CAN do all this. Why shouldn't you?
But you won't find much you could remove in our image, except for if you want to scrap X or XFCE4.
It's basically a minimal system with X, useful libraries and some useful programs like the webbrowser, ClawsMail, NetworkManager, etc.
Not much to remove at all.

Last edited:
I've been googling up a storm on how to create a QEMU .img file from the tar file that is generated from the angstrom builder. Anyone have info on this?

I say Yes to Ubuntu Netbook GUI. From the video it looks cool. It's something else for me to play with on day one with out having to RTFM.

Lack of help files. Can you not replace the directories with a link to the SD card and if people want them then you copy them to your SD card in slot 1 (or 2 whatever).

I know I'll be scrapping xmms immediately, assuming it's included in the OS image.

I'll propably swap xmms for audacious (why you're still going with XMMS?... IIRC its old and not so well maintained, though it does do the task) or amarok (the version used with kde 3 ....) if possible. Claws mail will be scrapped, i only use gmail with the web interface...

urjaman said:
I'll propably swap xmms for audacious (why you're still going with XMMS?... IIRC its old and not so well maintained, though it does do the task) or amarok (the version used with kde 3 ....) if possible. Claws mail will be scrapped, i only use gmail with the web interface...

Simple: There's no Audacious in the Angström repos, only XMMS.
Amarok won't work, as it needs tons of KDE stuff which isn't there.

We want to exchange it with Exaile once we find the time to do that.
Exaile is way better for proper music listening :)

Last edited:
The only issue I have with Ubuntu Netbook launcher is this:

It says NETBOOK!

Ubuntu Pandora Launcher or something similar. Or even just drop the word netbook.
Ubuntu Launcher

EvilDragon said:
We want to exchange it with Exaile once we find the time to do that.
Exaile is way better for proper music listening :)
Ohh, I like this. :D It reminds me a little bit of the Mac OS X version of iTunes, before it got super-massively bloaty and difficult-to-use several years ago.

kingoddball said:
The only issue I have with Ubuntu Netbook launcher is this:

It says NETBOOK!

Ubuntu Pandora Launcher or something similar. Or even just drop the word netbook.
Ubuntu Launcher

Are you really asking them to change the name of the launcher because it can be used in ways other than the name implies? If you installed iTunes but you only used it for videos, you wouldn't ask Apple to change the name to iVids, would you? Be reasonable.

So, basically...

1. The main pandora firmware is pretty barebones, but if you want to remove stuff, that's exactly how you'd expect it to work in Linux.
2. Updating the pandora firmware to whatever is new will be available and simple enough to do, via the openpandora repo.
3. If you want to get things outside of the non-openpandora-supported packages, you can, but that's not default, so you'd have to include the other repos yourself.
4. Games and applications of the PND format are relatively simple drag-and-drop onto your SD card affairs which will work pretty much instantly and easily assuming the end-user didn't remove something from the firmware that it wanted. These are not part of the package manager because conventional packages are not really expected to be swapped out on-the-fly like that, among other reasons.

Is that more-or-less right?

Back