Theoretically Speaking, Is The Pandora At Least Capable Of Dreamcast E

I think that the development for this emulator is certainly worthwhile. Maybe not for this generation, but getting a decently optimized DC emulator on the Pandora would, if nothing else lay the ground work down for the next gen handheld to do it well.

DC on Pandora is a very similar endeavor to PS1 on GP2X, and now we have PS1 running too fast on the Pandora. Next gen, DC running too fast? We can only hope.

AireTamStorm said:
I think that the development for this emulator is certainly worthwhile. Maybe not for this generation, but getting a decently optimized DC emulator on the Pandora would, if nothing else lay the ground work down for the next gen handheld to do it well.

DC on Pandora is a very similar endeavor to PS1 on GP2X, and now we have PS1 running too fast on the Pandora. Next gen, DC running too fast? We can only hope.
I personally don't think we will know for absolutely sure until drkIIRaziel gets either a dev unit or the actual unit to develop on.

Last edited by a moderator:
waffles said:
buying dreamcast games?
Always nice to have some Dreamcast games. Great system...all this talk about Dreamcast has made me nostalgic. I want to go play Shenmue...and maybe finish it this time! Every time I play it I ended up having to start way back at the beginning, thus losing the will to play. The save file is still there though...maybe I should give it another shot...

I bet full speed :D

its already running at 1/10th speed in 3 days of work (AFAIK) on a PSP without any optimizations.

waffles said:
buying dreamcast games?
Of course. It's one of the few consoles I won't be able to emulate on the Pandora, and definitely the best of those few.

-God Ginrai

MagicPants said:
Anybody taking bets? I'd wager there will be Dreamcast emulation in the next year and it will top out at around 8 fps.
I say we get DC emulation in at least a year and a half, if we do, and that we get 7 fps on the most demanding games.

EDIT:
greendots said:
I bet full speed :D

its already running at 1/10th speed in 3 days of work (AFAIK) on a PSP without any optimizations.
That's only on the menu. On Shenmue, it ran at around 1/240th speed.

-God Ginrai

I think it could average about 1/4th speed after about a year of development.

icurafu said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix9huu4k5Qo

So I guess DC emu on the Pandora will be maybe twice as fast as that? No thanks. POC only.

CandidStan said:
icurafu said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix9huu4k5Qo

So I guess DC emu on the Pandora will be maybe twice as fast as that? No thanks. POC only.

Umm, that's just a bare port of nullDC to PSP. It has no optimizations. It's in a very, very early stage.

This is the first time that nullDC has been put onto a non Windows platform. Relax and wait for some more progress. And that's PSP, which is much weaker than Pandora.

true. If it is memory bound, we might not see that on the Pandora and get a massive increase. If it all fits in 64MB, it would be CPU bound. The Pandora CPU would be many-many times fast than the PSP when clocked at 900-1000MHz.

icurafu said:
true. If it is memory bound, we might not see that on the Pandora and get a massive increase. If it all fits in 64MB, it would be CPU bound. The Pandora CPU would be many-many times fast than the PSP when clocked at 900-1000MHz.
It'll be maybe 3 times faster (900 vs 333 mhz). The PSP is running DC emulation a little under 1 fps. That's a long way to go.

On the plus side once the pandora's 3d hardware gets into play I bet it'll emulate the DC's 3d faster than a DC. But it will be bottle-necked on the CPU.

If and when they do a Pandora 2 I hope it's designed around doing DC/PSP emulation.

But what I'm really hoping is if the Pandora is open enough other hand-held makers will make clones, start the whole pc-clone thing again only for hand-helds.

It'll be atleast 5 times faster before you even start dynrec from ARM to ARM rather than ARM to MIPS in teh future.

So 5 FPS on the hardest game of the bat if it is CPU bound. I would be impressed if we get that. Anyway, GPU and audio should mostly be handeled by other processors, so their impact will be much less than the CPU.

MagicPants said:
But what I'm really hoping is if the Pandora is open enough other hand-held makers will make clones, start the whole pc-clone thing again only for hand-helds.

Pleasssse noooooo. The last think I want is to have to check a list of specs to see if the game I want to download is compatible with my particular configuration!

I wouldn't mind a more internally commanded progressions, with new version from the original manufacturers every 2-3 years. Like the Amiga 500, 550+, 1200. Or the PS, PS2, PS3 etc... (the Amiga analogy is slightly better because it is backwards compatible without emulation)

Anyway, don't a couple of DC on PSP vids perk up the forums?! :D

God Ginrai said:
waffles said:
buying dreamcast games?
Of course. It's one of the few consoles I won't be able to emulate on the Pandora, and definitely the best of those few.

-God Ginrai

I do believe he's referring to the ease of which you can burn Dreamcast games yourself, though talking about such things is most likely taboo here... :p

Anyways, great job on the emulator, and cool name to boot. Looking forward to playing it at launch!

Back