The Wiz

Cursvie

Still Fresh
Does the WIZ still have any slowdown on the emulators? IS there some sort of compatible games list? Or is everything working as intended!

The question is so vague that it's difficult to answer. There is however an emulator list with some sort of ranking, maybe that's what you want. list Well, it looks like I can't find it. Anyway 8 and 16bit systems generally work fine, but psx works only on select games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cursvie said:
Does the WIZ still have any slowdown on the emulators? IS there some sort of compatible games list? Or is everything working as intended!

For the most part, yes. The newest versions of the Genesis/Megadrive and Super Nintendo/Super Famicom emulators - Picodrive and Pocketsnes respectively - support nearly 99% of the games on their respective systems.

From my experience I can tell you:

• Gameboy/Gameboy Color - I used lemonboy for this after it had been updated. It runs extremely well, has different sorts of scaling options, but if scaled to the full screen looks somewhat pixelated - I spent a lot of time playing Pokemon, Wario land, Kirby's Dream land, etc. and they were all flawless. I'm not sure if this emulator supports the internal clock/ cartridge time-keeping batteries in any way.
  • Gameboy Advance - I used gpSP for this (which I believe is all there is) Nearly all games work very well, the exceptions being any games that use a "3D" engine, such as the tony hawk games. I personally played a few of the Final fantasy games, The first Fire emblem game (in it's entirety), the GBA version of Super mario World 2 - Yoshi's island, and a few other games. It works very well for most games. It also has a myriad of options for scaling, sound, controls, etc.
  • Sega Master System/Game Gear I believe AlexKidd is the only emulator for this. It's emulation is wonderful, although there is no option for scaling games to the full screen. I played x-Men, surf ninjas, sonic 2, and golden axe warrior on this one, mostly.
  • Sega Genesis/Megadrive - Picodrive is perhaps the best emulator available for the wiz. The emulation is great. It's fast, it has a ton of options for sound, graphics, frameskipping, etc. (Which you'll probably never need!) and re-mappable controls. I Played the sonic games, my friend played through comix zone, gunstar heroes, etc. It runs extremely nice, and most if not all genesis/megadrive games are 320x240 or very close to it, requiring no scaling. And don't forget about golden axe! If you're a fan of the Genesis/Megadrive, this is your emulator.
  • Sega CD - Picodrive is also responsible for Sega CD emulation. I myself have only played Sonic CD and Lunar II on it, but both of those games worked very well, if not flawlessly.
  • Super Nintendo/Super Famicom - Pocketsnes has been getting better and better on the Wiz. The newer versions (6.5 and 7.0) both work amazingly well with most games for the system. The only games that have slowdowns that make them more difficult to play are games that use the more difficult to emulate hardware features of the SNES. Games like Mario kart, Pilot wings, Super Metroid, and F-Zero suffer from MINOR slowdowns, while games like Starfox, Super Mario world 2 - Yoshi's island, Stunt race FX, and Mario RPG are more severely bogged down depending on your settings. I've noticed that Final Fantasy 6 has inaccurate sound emulation that makes the music sound awful. I played Final fantasy 4 and 5, Super street fighter, Super turrican, Super mario World, Super mario kart (which requires some overclocking, but runs smoothly on the newer versions), super metroid, and Chrono Trigger, among other games. Games work extremely well except for some of the more advanced ones, which DO work with some minor tweaking.
  • NeoGeo - gnGeo is a great emulator. The sound emulation can at times be flawed, but nothing that really detracts from gameplay. I played Metal Slug and magical Drop II (Hours of magical drop 2!) and the emulator handles them very well.
  • Playstation - PCSX4ALL (not to be confused with PSX4ALL) is definitely coming along nicely. According to it's developers it will gain both compatibility and speed with further releases. At the moment there are a few playable games, but none that are REALLY full speed all the time. If this is your main draw at the moment, I'd wait to see how development progresses.

Those are, for the most part, the emulators that I used on my Wiz. It's an amazing device especially if you like playing Retro games. The emulation is definitely VERY good for most 8-bit and 16-bit consoles. I would highly recommend the Wiz or the Caanoo to anyone that really loves pre-playstation/Pre-Nintendo 64 consoles. For me, having the wiz is like a nostalgia machine. It's like the ultimate dream of having a gameboy in your pocket with every game you've ever loved as a kid pre-loaded onto it. The fact that it has a music and video player, photo viewer, and other applications developed by the community makes it THAT MUCH BETTER. The performance in most of the emulators is top notch (especially considering that the device is a handheld) and is a dream to play. The added bonus being the ability to Save and Load machine states in most emulators. Got something you need to do? Save the state, come back later, and pick up precisely where you left off.

Overall the emulation performance is great, the battery life isn't bad (around 6 - 8 hours depending on your clock speeds and what you're running) and if you're looking for a handheld emulator this is more or less the one to get.

This has been a shameless Wiz Advert.

I gotta tell ya: Most games work except for PSX, Fullspeed

Shame that GPH makes VERY GOOD hardware, but doesnt hire some game programmers, who can do commercial games REALLY well.

We see it on GP2X how nice game(payback) they can do with 200 MHz

:SaS:*rbusa said:
I gotta tell ya: Most games work except for PSX, Fullspeed

Shame that GPH makes VERY GOOD hardware, but doesnt hire some game programmers, who can do commercial games REALLY well.

We see it on GP2X how nice game(payback) they can do with 200 MHz

Payback wasn't made by GPH

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Cursvie said:

For the most part, yes. The newest versions of the Genesis/Megadrive and Super Nintendo/Super Famicom emulators - Picodrive and Pocketsnes respectively - support nearly 99% of the games on their respective systems.

From my experience I can tell you:

• Gameboy/Gameboy Color - I used lemonboy for this after it had been updated. It runs extremely well, has different sorts of scaling options, but if scaled to the full screen looks somewhat pixelated - I spent a lot of time playing Pokemon, Wario land, Kirby's Dream land, etc. and they were all flawless. I'm not sure if this emulator supports the internal clock/ cartridge time-keeping batteries in any way.
  • Gameboy Advance - I used gpSP for this (which I believe is all there is) Nearly all games work very well, the exceptions being any games that use a "3D" engine, such as the tony hawk games. I personally played a few of the Final fantasy games, The first Fire emblem game (in it's entirety), the GBA version of Super mario World 2 - Yoshi's island, and a few other games. It works very well for most games. It also has a myriad of options for scaling, sound, controls, etc.
  • Sega Master System/Game Gear I believe AlexKidd is the only emulator for this. It's emulation is wonderful, although there is no option for scaling games to the full screen. I played x-Men, surf ninjas, sonic 2, and golden axe warrior on this one, mostly.
  • Sega Genesis/Megadrive - Picodrive is perhaps the best emulator available for the wiz. The emulation is great. It's fast, it has a ton of options for sound, graphics, frameskipping, etc. (Which you'll probably never need!) and re-mappable controls. I Played the sonic games, my friend played through comix zone, gunstar heroes, etc. It runs extremely nice, and most if not all genesis/megadrive games are 320x240 or very close to it, requiring no scaling. And don't forget about golden axe! If you're a fan of the Genesis/Megadrive, this is your emulator.
  • Sega CD - Picodrive is also responsible for Sega CD emulation. I myself have only played Sonic CD and Lunar II on it, but both of those games worked very well, if not flawlessly.
  • Super Nintendo/Super Famicom - Pocketsnes has been getting better and better on the Wiz. The newer versions (6.5 and 7.0) both work amazingly well with most games for the system. The only games that have slowdowns that make them more difficult to play are games that use the more difficult to emulate hardware features of the SNES. Games like Mario kart, Pilot wings, Super Metroid, and F-Zero suffer from MINOR slowdowns, while games like Starfox, Super Mario world 2 - Yoshi's island, Stunt race FX, and Mario RPG are more severely bogged down depending on your settings. I've noticed that Final Fantasy 6 has inaccurate sound emulation that makes the music sound awful. I played Final fantasy 4 and 5, Super street fighter, Super turrican, Super mario World, Super mario kart (which requires some overclocking, but runs smoothly on the newer versions), super metroid, and Chrono Trigger, among other games. Games work extremely well except for some of the more advanced ones, which DO work with some minor tweaking.
  • NeoGeo - gnGeo is a great emulator. The sound emulation can at times be flawed, but nothing that really detracts from gameplay. I played Metal Slug and magical Drop II (Hours of magical drop 2!) and the emulator handles them very well.
  • Playstation - PCSX4ALL (not to be confused with PSX4ALL) is definitely coming along nicely. According to it's developers it will gain both compatibility and speed with further releases. At the moment there are a few playable games, but none that are REALLY full speed all the time. If this is your main draw at the moment, I'd wait to see how development progresses.

Those are, for the most part, the emulators that I used on my Wiz. It's an amazing device especially if you like playing Retro games. The emulation is definitely VERY good for most 8-bit and 16-bit consoles. I would highly recommend the Wiz or the Caanoo to anyone that really loves pre-playstation/Pre-Nintendo 64 consoles. For me, having the wiz is like a nostalgia machine. It's like the ultimate dream of having a gameboy in your pocket with every game you've ever loved as a kid pre-loaded onto it. The fact that it has a music and video player, photo viewer, and other applications developed by the community makes it THAT MUCH BETTER. The performance in most of the emulators is top notch (especially considering that the device is a handheld) and is a dream to play. The added bonus being the ability to Save and Load machine states in most emulators. Got something you need to do? Save the state, come back later, and pick up precisely where you left off.

Overall the emulation performance is great, the battery life isn't bad (around 6 - 8 hours depending on your clock speeds and what you're running) and if you're looking for a handheld emulator this is more or less the one to get.

This has been a shameless Wiz Advert.

Wow thank you. That must of took quite awhile to type up. This sums up everything for me!

Cursvie said:
Wow thank you. That must of took quite awhile to type up. This sums up everything for me!

Well, that's the reason why I'm lurking around in the Wiz section.

Back