The Wiz or the Dingoo?

Loser777 said:
That only serves to show for me how fickle and unpredictable dingoo is with their handhelds... I'd rather not purchase something from a company that will reinvent something it made itself when the first device is far from maturing. It's like a retarded version of Moore's law where one company competes against itself -thereby hurting interest in its existing products -much the same reason that Apple delayed the announcement of it's 3G iPhone...

That's called the Osborne effect, when a company reveals a new product too early, and causes people to not buy the existing one.

as far as iam aware the a320 was manufactured by gemei who licensed it to dingoo. gemei are now kicking themselves after seeing the relative success of the device (compared to the million and 1 other pmp/emulator handhelds coming out of china everyday) and are stepping up with their version which they will brand with their own name (ie the gemei a380).

there's no-one really to blame for this, its not dingoos fault and all gemei are doing is trying to make up some lost ground.

I talked with Gemei and they informed me that A380 is not ready. I think they won't release it before new year. I'll try to give more information when available. So enjoy your time with Dingoo. ;)

I'm personally going to get the Wiz first, then save up some pennies and buy a dingoo, I really like the stability of the wiz and the vast homebrew library that will no doubt develop, and I desperately need a good, portable megadrive emulator, which unfortunately the dingoo doesn't provide. However I like the price of the a320 and I think it will help out the dev scene a lot(look at the eee).

The A320 probably has more raw potential if we can organise a scene around it as originally happened with the GP32.

That's the key to its success, organisation!

Yes. We don't often use the z, it's considered common. We also like to use the letter 'u' to make words look more elegant.

Of course these are the correct way to spell the words in the English Language too.

I'm not really sure what to make of the slack way in which the Americans have decided to spell some things, I don't think any of their spellings add any elegance at all, they just look like lazy spelling mistakes which somehow became accepted.

I've noticed Canada seem to accept both English and American spellings and I've seen both styles used there.

It's just you :p (j/k)

It is a kinda minimal design, but thats what I like about it. It don't need to be pretty to be functional. I think it looks better in black rather than white though.

If i think about Wiz vs A320, then just 2 things coming on my mind:
* Wiz has USB host on ext port
* Wiz has AMOLED display
* A320 coast more less
* A320 "probably has more raw potential"

peca said:
* Wiz has AMOLED display
considering that the wiz has more power, a larger fanbase(at the moment), and a touchscreen, doesn't that mean that it has more raw potential?

emusan said:
peca said:
* Wiz has AMOLED display
considering that the wiz has more power, a larger fanbase(at the moment), and a touchscreen, doesn't that mean that it has more raw potential?
My apologize. I just misunderstood Craig's post :-/ (damn, I must learn English bit more) a I forgot touch screen on the Wiz. So the most strong A320's weapon is price. If A320 serve as second/backup device, then it'll be good enough. Wiz will be better as major/only gaming device. (I guess)

rx_shorty said:
Well the Dingo looks like a nice game device.

But I now have the Wiz and I must say I really like it, ofcourse not everything is ready if you look at the emu's.
Though I have a lot of fun with Warcraft on it, Genesis (Sonic :D) and Mame.

More will come shortly if the Wiz arrives at the stores.

I would go for the Wiz, but the Dingo is sure a good handheld!

I wouldn't count on seeing the wiz at your local Walmart. It probably won't be in stores at all and will remain an internet thing. It probably won't even be released outside of Korea.

Chris

What? The wiz'll be probably sold by the same outlets that sold gp32 and gp2x. I bought my gp32 from mediamarkt in barcelona, and while I got the gp2x from the net, it was from a finnish company. I suggested a gaming shop in helsinki to sell it and they were interested, I'm pretty sure other european countries will get it in stores as well.

EDIT: added "from the net"

Loser777 said:
My biggest concern right now is the audio capabilities of the handhelds... I don't care much about the interface, but what kind of sound do these devices typically put out?
Well I just received the dingoo and tested the audio performance.
th_dingoormaa.jpg

The rmaa test don't really tell the whole story, it sounded better than my rockbox sansa. There is clearly more headstage, the sound is little more fluid and instruments are more discernable. It's not the best there is, but it's acceptable. I don't keep up with the expensive dap and headphones anymore though. 32ohms+ headphones are a better match so you dont have to hear hiss during the silence, anything more than that and you'll probably need a headphone amp, the volume doesn't get loud as my sansa. The speaker is not half bad either. The headphone jack is in the worse place possible, it's on the right which mean the connector will interfere with your righthand holding the device and pressing the buttons.

I didn't even know this thing can play flash (6) and smoothly. Videos are smooth too, but gets slow if the resolution or bitrates are too high. 640x480 is ideal, at dvd res it gets slower. The emulators needs to be replaced, but for the price and what it can do it's a pretty good deal.

i'm hoping that the dingoo scene will grow considerably after linux is released for it. they're getting close now!

WarmFluffyUK said:
Is it just me or does the the A320 look a bit plain and lacking in elegance? It's kinda boxy.
personally, i think the dingoo looks MUCH better than the wiz...but i do love boxy styling in general :0)

The design of the dingoo looks like someone broke off the top half of a DS lite to me. But it doesn't bother me. I still find it enjoyable. My only concern when looking at the pics of the Wiz are the buttons. Are they comfortable and workable when playing games? Are they hard to get use to?

The Wiz buttons work, they are a little close together, but you can use them. It would have been better to have just used normal buttons though.

Back