The What Music Are You Listening To Thread

I bit of deconstructed techno, I think I'd describe this as:

And a newish remake of a classic song. Basically the original track with a lot of the synth instruments knocked out and replaced by actual musicians playing real instruments, all overseen by Trevor Horn. Apparently this has been knocking about on bootlegs for a few year recently, but it comes from a 1998 compilation originally.

• Love
Reactions: rSl

A bit of a slow start to this one, perhaps to allow the MC or DJ to spout mellifluously over it. The harmonies start to form just before 45 seconds in, and the vocal joins and the tune starts a little before 1m30. But it's worth waiting for!

• Love
A bit of a slow start to this one, perhaps to allow the MC or DJ to spout mellifluously over it. The harmonies start to form just before 45 seconds in, and the vocal joins and the tune starts a little before 1m30. But it's worth waiting for!
cool tune. love the slightly 'hanging' beat. thanks! :cool:

True, I make it out to still be 4 beats to the bar, although that rhythm is heavily syncopated as you identify. I didn't really post it for that though, I mainly posted it for the lyrical content, but yeah I do try to post stuff that can be appreciated in different ways, so I'm glad you enjoyed it :cool:

Edit: Yeah, your newer post really has impressive bass, so impressive that I'm not sure my headphones are quite capable of reproducing them faithfully. I guess it's part of the revival of drum and bass music that's going on now, although in terms of the beats I think that's just the Amen break speeded up and looped tightly, so nothing nearly as complex as it was in my day. But in any case, it's nice to hear that kind of music back on the scene again.

Last edited:

I've saved the best till last. :)

• Love
I'm playing a CD I got with the Fusion annual and magazine Earlybird KickStarter called Sidologie by Marcel Donne (don't know how to add the acute on that last 'e' on my phone).

It's perfect background music to work to, with hints of (presumably influence from) Jean-Michel Jarre and Vangelis.

• Love
A new funky soul tune, full of lots of portamento first in the vocal introducing verses, and in whatever keyboard instrument that is in the second half of the tune (it put me in mind of a mellotron or one of those old fan driven toy keyboards, but actually the mellotron isn't capable of that kind of portameno as far as I can tell).

A pretty straightforward beat means rSI might not find too much to appreciate, but for me the sweet lyric and the funky slides are enough for me.

• Love

An atmospheric little tune this. Not quite sure of the genre, the sawtooths that come in later put me in mind of techno, and the repetitive lyric puts me in mind of house music, if we ignore the initial shuffling noises. But it's not high energy, and I can't really imagine anyone dancing to this, unless it's the shuffling around kind of 'dancing'. But it's a curiously interesting tune in any case.

Edit: I'm not sure what the picture associated with this video is about. I can't find it on discogs, or even the artist at all, so I don't know if it's an unlisted b-side on that double-a side single, or just a previous single she put on the video because this one doesn't have any cover art yet.

• Love
Back